aberdeen-music

Mogwai

SteveCrisis

Now my memory is quite terrible so it is entirely possible. :O

I didn't think so though. I'm sure someone will clarify...

Aye Sigur Ros was supporting GSYBE!!! Fly pam am was on first though. Yes it was quite loud with people talking through the gig - i never get that to be honest!!!! What is the point of being there????

I'm meaning that such is the Boredoms' greatness, that even on their own they would eclipse a three band bill. Unless that three band bill consisted of The Band, they're a good band.

These days I don't think I could handle three post rock bands in a row without stabbing my ears in.

Guest Steven Dedalus

These days I don't think I could handle three post rock bands in a row without stabbing my ears in.

Yer not wrong. there was a day when it would have sounded like utter bliss, but these days I'd rather be sold into slavery.

Does post rock even exist anymore?

Did it? I don't remember being annoyed by that and I'm usually easily annoyed by folk talking at all during gigs....must have chosen a good spot. I do remember some guy sitting at the front of the stage hoying a pint of lager over some lass taking pics because she was yapping as she did it.

the pint was thrown at biz and some burd that he yapped to all the way through the gig. biz complained and lad at the front was chucked out.

or perhaps he's sticking to principles?

I certainly know I get fucked off with an audience talking through a set of a band I want to hear.

I remember James Yorkston's set - you could hear a pin drop, a true indication that everyone there was there to hear music, and not pay 8 quid to go into a pub. there are times and places, and gigs just aint the place to chat (before, after sure, but, ITS THE FUCKING MUSIC WE'RE THERE FOR).

Perhaps if more people stopped going to places because they know the audience on the whole sucked, people might actually start listening, instead of talking through a show?

nah, it's not sticking to principles. it's being a petulant child. i refuse to travel to see mogwai as there is no logical reason for a band based in glasgow of that size not to come and play in aberdeen. that's sticking to principles(though i am sorely tempted each time and will no doubt give in sooner rather than later). i agree that people talking and shouting through gigs is shit but it's just a risk bands have to take. are we really expected to believe that everytime mogwai play glasgow, edinburgh or even london that they have the entire audience held in a silent awestruck trance broken up by reverential applause between every song? don't mogwai play on an image of being no nonsense glasgow boys with a lack of pretension not a bunch of prima donnas who throw a huff because they can't get the right colour m&m's backstage.

still, it's mogwai's choice at the end of the day(or their booking agent). braithwaites appeared up here with arab strap and seemed to enjoy it fine enough so there is hope yet. i don't know if the story is true or not really, if it is then everything i said stands but hopefully it's just urban myth and they will play up here one day.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
nah, it's not sticking to principles. it's being a petulant child. i refuse to travel to see mogwai as there is no logical reason for a band based in glasgow of that size not to come and play in aberdeen. that's sticking to principles(though i am sorely tempted each time and will no doubt give in sooner rather than later). i agree that people talking and shouting through gigs is shit but it's just a risk bands have to take. are we really expected to believe that everytime mogwai play glasgow, edinburgh or even london that they have the entire audience held in a silent awestruck trance broken up by reverential applause between every song? don't mogwai play on an image of being no nonsense glasgow boys with a lack of pretension not a bunch of prima donnas who throw a huff because they can't get the right colour m&m's backstage.

still, it's mogwai's choice at the end of the day(or their booking agent). braithwaites appeared up here with arab strap and seemed to enjoy it fine enough so there is hope yet. i don't know if the story is true or not really, if it is then everything i said stands but hopefully it's just urban myth and they will play up here one day.

Hi Dave, i came across this by accident and thought i should explain what happened here. When we last played in Aberdeen at The Lemon Tree it was a pretty dispiriting experience. It was pretty obvious from the second we started that very few people in the crowd were particularly interested in hearing us and most were having loud conversations (including those in the front row) which made it very hard for us to hear what we were doing. We are not that precious about how audiences react when we play as is suggested above but this night was probably in the top 3 worst concerts we have ever played and this was largely due to the crowd (the security were terrible too which just added to the general crapness of the night). To explain why we haven't been back is simple, when we finish a record and plan our tours we decide what countries we are going to and then remember which ones we enjoyed playing and then move on with organizing the dates. Since the last time we played Aberdeen was far from fun (though i'm sure lots of people wouldn't think that our gigs are that fun anyway) we have not played there since. Aberdeen isn't the only place that we have missed out due to bad shows, we skipped Boston and the entire nation of Sweden for pretty long times for identical reasons and have since been back. I've always had a good time in Aberdeen except when playing and would like to come back with the band sometime Maybe if the next time a quiet band comes to Aberdeen and the audience are behaving atrociously you should ask the person next to you to be quiet and all of this might be prevented. I hope this reply isn't deemed too"petulant", i try to be nice.

all the best

Stuart Braithwaite

ps The m&m's were also the wrong colour incidentally.

Well, after all these years it's good (and interesting) to have an official explanation! We'd love to try and find a suitable venue and crowd for you to play (and enjoy) in Aberdeen again. We spend our lives trying to get people to shut up at our gigs and sometimes they do. We wouldn't supply M&M's though!

Send me a PM please.

Graeme (interesting music promotions)

www.myspace.com.interestingmusic

Well, after all these years it's good (and interesting) to have an official explanation! We'd love to try and find a suitable venue and crowd for you to play (and enjoy) in Aberdeen again. We spend our lives trying to get people to shut up at our gigs and sometimes they do. We wouldn't supply M&M's though!

Send me a PM please.

He does do a lot of shooshing this one...

Send me a PM please.

Graeme, I think you should supply me with Peanut Butter M&Ms when I attend your gigs.

Guest bluesxman
Aberdeen isn't the only place that we have missed out due to bad shows, we skipped Boston and the entire nation of Sweden for pretty long times for identical reasons and have since been back.

We're closer than them, why not forgive us too???

I can honestly say I tried shooshing a few people at gigs (in the deen), and lo and behold, it causes aggro.

I think people who use the excuse "I paid for my ticket, I can do what I want" should have a pint poured over them...I paid for my ticket, I should get to do what I want!....

(aggro?!....don't be daft!)

James Yorkstone was close to a perfect gig in the lemon tree....bar one gaiping goon at the back, sitting next to me. After 5 attempts to plead "can you be quiet please?" I kicked his chair, told him to STFU and had to move for he started talking louder (a grown man!)

Guest Steven Dedalus

James Yorkstone was close to a perfect gig in the lemon tree....bar one gaiping goon at the back, sitting next to me. After 5 attempts to plead "can you be quiet please?" I kicked his chair, told him to STFU and had to move for he started talking louder (a grown man!)

Sorry about that, Phil. I was bang out of order.

Only kidding, of course!

With regards to the Mogwai gig, two points/questions:

1. This was Mogwai, right? The noisy, loud, punishing Mogwai? How loud did that guy have to talk to distract them over the noise they were making?

2. It was Bruce McComski, wasn't it? At least that's what I remember being told. And if this was the case, I forgive him.

• 2 weeks later...

Send me a PM please.

so.....did anything get sorted out?

Guest Steven Dedalus
I got a reply from Stuart with his agent contact details who said "They're not looking to do anything there at the moment "

We're patient though! We've waited this long!

Be sure to let Bruce know.

It'll be the best gig ever!

Hi Dave, i came across this by accident and thought i should explain what happened here. When we last played in Aberdeen at The Lemon Tree it was a pretty dispiriting experience. It was pretty obvious from the second we started that very few people in the crowd were particularly interested in hearing us and most were having loud conversations (including those in the front row) which made it very hard for us to hear what we were doing. We are not that precious about how audiences react when we play as is suggested above but this night was probably in the top 3 worst concerts we have ever played and this was largely due to the crowd (the security were terrible too which just added to the general crapness of the night). To explain why we haven't been back is simple, when we finish a record and plan our tours we decide what countries we are going to and then remember which ones we enjoyed playing and then move on with organizing the dates. Since the last time we played Aberdeen was far from fun (though i'm sure lots of people wouldn't think that our gigs are that fun anyway) we have not played there since. Aberdeen isn't the only place that we have missed out due to bad shows, we skipped Boston and the entire nation of Sweden for pretty long times for identical reasons and have since been back. I've always had a good time in Aberdeen except when playing and would like to come back with the band sometime Maybe if the next time a quiet band comes to Aberdeen and the audience are behaving atrociously you should ask the person next to you to be quiet and all of this might be prevented. I hope this reply isn't deemed too"petulant", i try to be nice.

all the best

Stuart Braithwaite

ps The m&m's were also the wrong colour incidentally.

ha, can't say fairer than that i suppose eh? i never expected a personal reply. good to have it explained and i can only hope you do come back to aberdeen sometime and that you have a much better time of it. you shouldn't let the idiots ruin the fun for the rest of us! :)

• 2 months later...