• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram
Originally posted by Team Monkey:

Yeah Drakes is cool - maybe a bit small... but intimate I suppose

It feels like home!

I say it's the best not for the building, but because of the people that work there and all the different types of bands/artists that have played.

Many a great night has been had there by many people!

Drakes is very good for intimacy and generally playing an ace show but my favourite show i've played so far was in caf drummonds, not perticularly good sound on the night but the crowd weren't scared to move at all, and in drakes ther's a tendency for people to just stand and nod. It's nice to see a wee pit for your own band. But overall i'd still say drakes is the venue to play.

It's been ages since I went to the Malt Mill but the sound was good when I was there. Lemon Tree's a bit expensive for me to go there regularly but they pull really good bands every so often that make it well worth that little bit extra in drink expenditure - Amen, Eighties Matchbox, Queen Adreena, DJ Format, Misfits, OMS, Idlewild, DJ Vadim & The Russian Percussion, The Wildhearts and the list goes on!

Originally posted by Paulscoconutass:

but my favourite show i've played so far was in caf drummonds, not perticularly good sound

That's because you played a Foyer night where you had Foyer engineers, not Drummonds engineers.

I still remember having to clear the stage of fucking onions the next day.:swearing:

Guest stuartmaxwell

ha ha ha ha, i was thinking about the onions thing just today, i was laughing for ages

i love drakes and drummonds,

i love drakes due to the staff and the attitude of the place, sharon, jim, ziggy and the rest are always so good to people, not just bands but the customers, they get treated with respect and do not get ripped off. they are not afraid to put on obscure bands and give many bands the breaks they need. i really do believe that they are the finest venue in scotland. i love to play drakes as you can see stuff and hear stuff, usually when we play shows i cant see people (even if they are right in front of me!!i blame the sweat in my eyes-it stings), plus you always get a good reception aswell, i.e. there are no dickheads-apart from that fucked up dude with the cockeyes who glassed someone-he is a cock but i believe he is banned, i have seen some of the best gigs ive ever been to in drakes, namely macrocosmica, cat on form and laeto

drummonds-i love drummonds due to the set up, the stage is ace and the sound is amazing on stage, ian does a really good job-even when he gets lumped with us making a nasty racket he still manages to make it sound good, i have seen some great bands there too, explosions in the sky and bikini attoll were fantastic. the thing that annoys me about drummonds is that its not very well ventilated and you stink like fuck when you come out, plus the fact that they get some particularly dull and un-inspiring bands there

moshulu was pretty good, nice stage sound, but it was well muddy up the back apparently

never got to play at the lemon tree :( i wanted free beer

the mooring is fast becoming a fav of mine

i'm totally split between drakes and drummonds.

sometimes at drummonds cos of the size you can end up missing the bands whereas at drakes they tend to grab your attention because of its smaller size. but both good venues with decent staff and punters (apart from the moaning sound engineer at drummonds whose attempts at sound are adequate at best).

kef is also good and i think suits touring bands more. i enjoyed moshulu as a venue for the fudge awards, the only gig i've been to there and the moorings also warrents a mention though i've not heard the new sound system yet.

i think we are indeed spoilt!