aberdeen-music

Rehearsing in Aberdeen

Steve Cobra Kai

Hey all.

What are the rehearsal studios in Aberdeen like these days?

As i remember the options used to be Captain Toms, The Foyer or the new place built at the back of Atmosphere Lighting & Sound (Musical Vision or something). There were also various lock ups rented by local bands.

So what has changed? Are these still the places to go or are there any new places?

Steve

• Upvote 1

Guest Savant

Toms is stll on the go, but getting a little (!) pricey these days. The lock-ups ran by bands are prettymuch non-existent as far as I know, but there's supposed to be a couple of practise rooms in the Transition Extreme centre at the bottom of Urquhart Road.

musical vision is better than toms i reckon, tom's is really expensive and the amps are pretty dire, musical vision has good amps, an adequete drum kit, and piano's in the rooms.

How big are the rooms there? Saw some photos of Kartta practicing there and it looked tiny (although I guess with 6 members everywhere will be cramped for them).

Musical Vision has various different sized rooms. I suppose Kartta are not the best example for judging size since there are about 400 of them. I've not been in all the rooms there, but I have preferred them all to Tom's. Plus, Musical Vision doesn't seem to have a "room of death" like Captain Toms.

yeah, once we get them kitted out (eventually) we'll have two music practise rooms but no recording facilities unfortunately. i THINK it's going to be around 12 an hour, and cheaper if you're booking the room for just one person. This is at Transition like. But no kit in them yet..so best thing to do is e-mail/check the website in advance.

Guest idol_wild
How big are the rooms there? Saw some photos of Kartta practicing there and it looked tiny (although I guess with 6 members everywhere will be cramped for them).

They were taken in the recording studio room though - and whenever we go in there, we take the drums out of the partitioned off area and into the main body of the room so we can hear them properly.

I am a fan of Musical Vision. The rates are reasonable and if you become a regular, you'll get treated like one and get little extras thrown in, like a free half-hour if no-one else is booked in, etc.

They have good gear, and plenty of it. Which is just aswell for Kartta.

Guest bluesxman

Musical Vision has one very small room on the left as you go in which builds up the smell of man sweat in no time, the others are all decent enough sized, I would say certainly comparable to the ones I've been in at Tom's. No slightly suspect sofa's in the rooms there though. When you have the drum kit to sit at you pretty much guarantee your space no matter what so I don't really care about room size that much. Think Musical Vision is about 25 quid for 2 hours or summat, have to say that I do like it there after going for over a year. Never had any problem with Tom's in the past other than the aforementioned room of death where you can hear nothing clearly for a some reason. Only went to The Foyer a couple of times and wasn't keen, too small.

Why is around 15 an hour considered expensive?

Considering that in all these places you get:

Drum kit

Bass amp

2xguitar amp

PA (normally around 500-600 watts, about the same as most stage monitors)

That's at least 2000 worth of equipment to ab/use, a room in which you can make some noise in without having the police/irate neighbours knocking on the door, no hassle with paying rent/bills every month, no rent/bills to pay if you don't practice for a few weeks, no repair bills for the equipment, no heavy/bulky equipment to transport etc etc.

Maybe I just remember the old days when there was nothing and everyone would've given their right arm (or somebody else's, no sense wasting your own) for the chance to have places like these to go to.

They can charge what they like (within reason) due to the small amount of competition.

Went to an amazing place in Glasgow called Lofi, only just opened at the time, and we were shocked at how little it cost to practice there. Although it was during the day it was only 20 for 3 hours or something like that. The equipment was also high quality and they were set up to record practices with decent ambiant mics.

Anyway, competition drives prices down.