aberdeen-music

What the fuck is the deal with iPod batteries?

Lemonade

Thats because ipods are shit.

You shoulda bought a zen. :D

I originally had one of the Sony ones (those purple things) and it was an absolute lump of shit so I took it back to the shop and exchanged it for an iPod. The Sony thing froze up every time I connected it to my computer and erased everything off itself every time I disconnected it (safely), and often froze up completely and wouldn't switch on when I was listening to it, so I had to press the reset button and wipe the memory before it would work again. I spend more time loading albums onto that thing than I did listening to it. Though at least the battery lasted for a good 16 hours.

Do you keep it charging all the time? Excessive charging will shorten the life of the battery. But yeah, iPods are ba's.

No I generally charge it every night for a few hours so I can take it to work the next day, but it's virtually flat again by lunchtime. Apart from the shit battery I love my Ipod, I think it's a great device, really easy to use, the software with it is really good, it never breaks down on me, does loads of cool shit, great screen.... if only the battery would fucking last.

Sony NW-E100

Picked up one of these bad boys 'cos I hate being without music for ages. Costs about 70 and with a single AAA battery gives around 70 hours of playback. Holds 1GB of MP3s, but you can get more songs if you rip using the software provided. After a quick web-browse, it looks like you can't buy this model anymore, but when my one breaks i'm totally going to buy a similar flash player as opposed to a mass-storage thing. It's much easier carrying a tiny AAA around than being without tunes!

sony_nw_e100_00.jpg

No I generally charge it every night for a few hours so I can take it to work the next day, but it's virtually flat again by lunchtime. Apart from the shit battery I love my Ipod, I think it's a great device, really easy to use, the software with it is really good, it never breaks down on me, does loads of cool shit, great screen.... if only the battery would fucking last.

With batteriy devices like I-pods you need to wait 'til they're totally dead before you re-charge them if you don't want to fuck up the battery life, same goes for phones and stuff too.

I charge mine when it begins to head down to the final green bar - just before it turns red. Never ever let it go so far that it cuts out. Not sure what model you have but my 60gb (1 year old) gives 15 hours of music before I charge it. A 4 hour charge is all it takes. I get it off the charge as soon as poss after it says "charged." Mine plays fine when it is charging too.

If you turn off the click wheel and backlight your battery life will improve vastly.

How long do you listen to it at work??

Do you keep it charging all the time? Excessive charging will shorten the life of the battery. But yeah, iPods are ba's.

I think this is the problem with mine. It switches off when the power bar is only half way down. Subsequent swearing at it and throwing it around hasn't helped.

Few points, if you go into my computer and then right click on it and select "Eject" you can then liusten to it while its charging. Otherwise, you can listen to the music on it through iTunes.

Also, are you sure its out of battery? LIke, has the battery gone down to the red then died?

If not, is it just not turning back on after you've left it turned off for a while? How are you turning it back on if its been off for a while? Try turning it on by holding down the centre button then pressing the play button. I thought mine was dead if I left it off, but then I did that, and realised it turned on just fine and still have plenty battery.

Nah it's dead dead, as in battery going down to red then switching off. Actually to be fair to it if I just switch it on and leave it playing it'll last a good 8 hours, but if I go into the menu to pick an album, or skip a track it seems to be using the screen just decimates the battery. Cheers for the charging tip. I'll try turning off the click and backlight too, that should help. I have the 30gb video btw.

Nah it's dead dead, as in battery going down to red then switching off. Actually to be fair to it if I just switch it on and leave it playing it'll last a good 8 hours, but if I go into the menu to pick an album, or skip a track it seems to be using the screen just decimates the battery. Cheers for the charging tip. I'll try turning off the click and backlight too, that should help. I have the 30gb video btw.

I have the exact same problem with mine.....it's so annoying. Mine lasts barely four hours and I've only had it just over a year. I love having an iPod, just wish the battery didn't die so quickly.