aberdeen-music

Why do people go to see bands?

Leckie Gilman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright cheers for not taking my post as though tis only directed to you I have read soem posts where you said its not like how it used to be. You should nto be scared of waht people think of you when skanking. Me and Ash were only two people skanking when 10ew supported the queers but we weren't that bothered I just wish people would stop dreaming about the "good ol' days" and get dancing!:)

Originally posted by Camie:

Alright cheers for not taking my post as though tis only directed to you I have read soem posts where you said its not like how it used to be. You should nto be scared of waht people think of you when skanking. Me and Ash were only two people skanking when 10ew supported the queers but we weren't that bothered I just wish people would stop dreaming about the "good ol' days" and get dancing!:)

I was referring to the AUBL! Not the scene! I meant.. the AUBL/ Aberdeen-music was good about a year ago before there was this constant bitching going on. I'm not scared what people think of me when I'm skanking, I just don't like the thought of people thinking "Oh what's she doing here?" or whatever, as though it's their space, when it clearly isn't. Also, it's not just for gigs, I meant in general, I'm scared of being judged (i.e schoolwork etc) My references to the 'old days' are not linked to gigs at all, merely this website.

Oh and to Camie and Ash I'm sorry if anything I caused any offense to either of you.. I just was a bit miffed that you both posted that. Like I say (back to the original point) I go to gigs for the music - usually bigger bands, yes, but that's what I like plus I can't really afford many gigs AND, admitedly, i'm the first to say I can be picky about my music. I think that sums that argument up nicely :)

I go to gigs because i enjoy the music, I don't go to local gigs, because there are very few bands i think are any good, certainly very few I rate enough to go and see. My favourite artists in the Aberdeen scene tend to the acoustic song writers, most of the actual bands, imho just aren't that good. i think the biggest problem with this scene is that it thinks all its bands are great and deserve success which isn't true, there are very few people on the scene that could cut it in the national or international scene. All my opinion of course...

Cheers

Stuart

What makes you wanna go to a show and see bands give it shit on stage?

Because I either like the band, or I hope to be plesantly suprised.

Is it because you genuinely enjoy going to see live music?

Most of the time, yeah.

Do you only go if it's a band you are a fan of that is playing?

I prefer it if that's the case, but I think gigs are a good way to discover new stuff.

Do you go only when it's your mates band playing and you feel obliged to go?

I have done, but I often pay attention to the support acts and more often than not have enjoyed what my friends have done/ are doing.

Do you fancy the singer in a band and wanna score with him/her?

Yeah, but he said he likes them butcher than me on average.

Do you go to gain credibility?

No, and if anyone does, I heard it's considered cool to drive off Aberdeen Harbour these days.

Do you go because there's nothing else to do and you go to clubs and the band's just there?

I have done, but have been pleasantly suprised

or what?

What makes YOU wanna get up off your butt and go to a show?

Pussy

Live performances give sooooo much more than recordings!!! Some of the CDs I own are absolutely awesome musically but do no justice to the live performance of those artists!! Going to see bands perform live gives me a buzz that recordings just cant! So much of what makes artists good is how they perform live and their presence onstage - its worth it just for that!

Originally posted by CliveRavensby:

...what a very, very silly thing to say.

Would you like to care to explain. I didnt mean that dancing/skanking/moshing is the only way to enjoy music also chilling out to like at drakes where they have plenty seats. If you are standing there at the same spot for ages your legs get tired and you started to get frustrated and hence not enjoy the gig and it happens a few times to me in kef.

Guest Scott 5FD

If you are standing there at the same spot for ages your legs get tired and you started to get frustrated and hence not enjoy the gig and it happens a few times to me in kef.

uh...so if you skank/mosh/whatever, your legs ain't gonna get tired or anything?

sometimes i'm scared to go and skank because the pit isn't looking to friendly or their's some big guys in there who think they can push people about.

i hope this thread dosen't descend into another 'Pit Etiquette' thing, but people can enjoy a gig wether standing and watching the band, or if they go have a dance.

simple.

Guest highroller

I went to Drakes on Friday only hearing 2 bands before all by myself. There was some people i knew but I didnt really talk to them so dont give me crap about the people going there because who cares who goes as long as the music and performance is good!

All of weapon noticed this Camie....credit to you man...honestly we were all really humbled that you did that partly because of us.....

I just basically go to see anything that interests me when I'm free. The Internet being so popular means that most bands have at least one mp3 on their website so you can get a feel for them and decide whether to go or not. Opinions from friends also make me go to gigs but living in town it's almost rude not to when you can walk to any of the music venues (minus a.e.c.c) within 10 minutes.

Originally posted by psydoll:

Opinions from friends also make me go to gigs but living in town it's almost rude not to when you can walk to any of the music venues (minus a.e.c.c) within 10 minutes.

We used to drive up to gigs in Aberdeen in a Suzuki Swift that was salmon pink, and now do it in a slightly bigger Astra.

4 guys, all 6ft or over, Three guitars. One bass. 4 bags, one big pedalboard, a 1x12 combo and a head. Plus food and magazines, cameras etc etc. And then drive home to Edinburgh starting at 11 at night or later. And that was with our old drummer who was a sociopathic rugby playing poet who had a habit of having mental breakdowns and threatening to beat the living shite out of some of us most journeys.

But we keep doing it because people up in the 'Deen are more interested than people in other cities.

So, please come to our gigs, we make a big effort to come up, especially when we get paid petrol money or less.

Craig

I should see you guys in May with Lapsus Linguae and Orwell. :up:

Thought of something else that makes me more likely to go to a gig - if members of said band post on here I am more interested in hearing what they're like or seeing what they're like live. Strange and slightly creepy I know but there you go :D

Originally posted by Scott 5FD:

uh...so if you skank/mosh/whatever, your legs ain't gonna get tired or anything?

Ok yeh but be honest scot what have you enjoyed more a gig where you havent been skanking etc or a gig where you've just been standing the whole time.

Guest Scott 5FD

hmm...i dunno.

the majority of the time if i'm skanking i tend to enjoy the gig more, such as when CapDown played back in September.

but i don't need to skank to enjoy the gig. i didn't skank at SolaBeat coz i was ill but i still enjoyed it.

but people enjoy gigs in different ways, i guess thats what i was trying to say.

Ok yeh but be honest scot what have you enjoyed more a gig where you havent been skanking etc or a gig where you've just been standing the whole time.

actually.. the best gig i ever went to was radiohead, and i was standing for pretty much most of that. plus i saw the ataris in glasgow a few months ago, just standing at the side and yeh, i was happy. on the other hand, last may when whitmore/spankboy came up i was skanking and had an ACE time, so i guess it just depends.

Yeah, my bad. It was something Stuart said in a PM months ago, and I never thought to check up on it.

However we will have copies of our new single 'A Perfect Second' with us that we'll be punting. I'll do a proper post about that nearer the gig. Although a couple of people who've heard it say it's the best thing we've ever done.

Plus, since it's a split single, you get to hear some of the new Stigma stuff, specifically their track 'Nothing Left'. Stigma are a fucking amazing Glasgow based heavy grunge/sleaze rock band, and their new recordings are the best stuff I've heard from them as well. They only been up in Aberdeen once when they came with us to play Drakes. Ask the guys from Jedi about them, or Manuel Braur. Their bassist is a true monster of rock.

Craig

• 3 months later...

why go to gigs?

why not?.

Go to see XS RELOCAT or 16 again and you will realise why people go to gigs.

I go to more gigs than anyone,and have done for more than 20 years, and luckily can remember a lot of what I've seen and heard and use it at a later date.

Try it, it's better than sitting alone typing shite on this bloody contraption,even if you are just watching. You do not have to be able to hear to enjoy live bands,the spectacle is often quite funny too,and if there's heckling,even better,see King Liar and the Brutes for details.

Guest allsystemsfail

Vinyl/Cds can never replace the urgency of a live performance - a band fucking shit up on stage. What I also find cool is when a band speaks at length about their politics. Los Crudos is probably the best example I can give. It adds to the power of the performance.

personally i like it when bands just shut up and play, the worst crime any local band can do is say 'this is a new song' um they're all new songs to most of the punters!

however there are exceptions to the rule from more established acts, billy bragg comes to mind, he does some wonderful rants between songs and has a great way of dealing with hecklers.