aberdeen-music

bottom ten bands in Aberdeen

Guest RomanChoke

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly thought asian morisette at that gig was fucking terrible....as you may have seen us at that gig aswell....we tend to have a joke or 2....but not to the extent of singing about our mates taking it in the arse....wasnt funny and wasnt good viewing....

I do recall you bending over' date=' lifting up your moo-moo and revealing your arse.

[img']http://gallery.lamusica.com/albums/album298/Carlito_Caribbean_Cool.jpg

"That's not cool"

Van Hallen weren't exactly shining that night (or in general my cup-o-soup) - yi'd probably make it on my bottom list - and Asian did get a warmest reception - he's comical genius y'know.

As for my list, i'd vouch for...

Close Call

Flight 19

Infection

Small Enclosed Area

The Wake

Onion Terror

Van Hellen

Bands i just don't click with.

Van Hallen weren't exactly shining that night (or in general my cup-o-soup) - yi'd probably make it on my bottom list - and Asian did get a warmest reception - he's comical genius y'know.

Ah yeah but isn't that the point they got a reception for playing to their mates in the corner, he was dull, and one of the biggest wastes of time i've ever seen on a stage.

Undoubtedly the band of the night who got the warmest reception and was easily the best was Alan Cynic, he showed what comedy was, funny and inclusive of everyone.

Cheers

Stuart

I agree with Catfood regarding the unprofessional, unoriginal, underpractised bands. Aberdeen has produced fuck all real talent in years. If people stopped the back stabbing and perhaps, in some cases, stopped taking themselves to serious then maybe we would get somewhere.

Dont get me wrong, there are bands/musicians who have made a dent i.e Psycho a go go, Jo McCafferty, Emma Forman, Jerry Jablonski etc but they dont get the deserved support, which is a shame

...and he should have a credited the person who did when he used it.

I didn't 'use' it though. I only put it on display. And the author of the work is unknown to me. If you can find who did it I'll gladly credit them.

bob didnt make that avatar.

...and he should have a credited the person who did when he used it.

I'm aware he didn't... I'm sure he got it from a site of some sort...

I should rephrase what I said before...

"I stole my avatar from the thread Bob put up"

:)

Yeah' date=' thats one of the reasons I dont understand the whole ethos many bands on here have that having a manager is a bad thing, a good and professional manager can really help a band along in many ways and I've been told by many people in the industry that they tend to take bands with managers more seriously purely because they're ready to take that next stage. I think that bands coming across well on and off stage is very important and I think its too easy to get drunk at every gig and treat it as the big rock and roll lifestyle but the reality is that you're not going to take it to the next level with that attitude, at leats thats my opinion on the matter.

I think that sometimes bands let the idea of being in a band take over from the idea that you have to practise hard and try and be the best you can, getting out and playing gigs is good but its how you play those gigs and what you do from there that makes it important. Then again its what you want from it that defines that, if you're happy to play for just fun then thats cool, if you want to be a professional band then its different.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Ah but if you get a manager then you're serious and have "sold out" and have become a "corporate whore" and you won't be "punk" anymore and suddenly your music won't be "vaild" or "cool". Then you'll be booed off the stage at drummonds because you're "up yourself" despite the fact that you'll now be playing 100 times better than zenophobic scenster bands.

Ah but if you get a manager then you're serious and have "sold out" and have become a "corporate whore" and you won't be "punk" anymore and suddenly your music won't be "vaild" or "cool". Then you'll be booed off the stage at drummonds because you're "up yourself" despite the fact that you'll now be playing 100 times better than zenophobic scenster bands.

It's probably lucky that I only manage pop/acoustic bands then ;) Thankfull none of my artists ahve ever been cool so we avoided it, except of course for Hog... he's cooooool.

Cheers

Stuart

It's probably lucky that I only manage pop/acoustic bands then ;) Thankfull none of my artists ahve ever been cool so we avoided it' date=' except of course for Hog... he's cooooool.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

You should not be on here. You're obviously ambitious and want to be successful and even worse, want your acts to be successful too!!! How dare you sully the purity, the wholesome DIY ethic, the better than the rest of the world ethos, the valid and coolness that is the three chord, downtuned, political ranting masquerading as music that is THE SCENE!!!!!!

You should not be on here. You're obviously ambitious and want to be successful and even worse' date=' want your acts to be successful too!!! How dare you sully the purity, the wholesome DIY ethic, the better than the rest of the world ethos, the valid and coolness that is the three chord, downtuned, political ranting masquerading as music that is THE SCENE!!!!!![/quote']

It's a fair cop ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell
You should not be on here. You're obviously ambitious and want to be successful and even worse' date=' want your acts to be successful too!!! How dare you sully the purity, the wholesome DIY ethic, the better than the rest of the world ethos, the valid and coolness that is the three chord, downtuned, political ranting masquerading as music that is THE SCENE!!!!!![/quote']

you like banging on that old record

i reckon you are pretty disllusioned by what happens on here and what actually happens in the scene (i.e. outside of the msg boards)

:help:

you like banging on that old record

i reckon you are pretty disllusioned by what happens on here and what actually happens in the scene (i.e. outside of the msg boards)

:help:

That statement makes no sense whatsoever. Anyway I was having a laugh.

And I know exactly what happens in the scene...that is Scotland's music scene, the real one. Not the the insular aberdeen scene typified by many, but not all on this board.

Guest stuartmaxwell

nah i just meant that you are always going on about how people are elitist snobs etc

the scottish music scene is great, but you will still get the elitist snobbery anywhere. down here in glasgow its probably worse than aberdeen for bitching etc, but its a bigger place and there are many different scenes in glasgow, edinburgh, therefore you hear less about it

I agree with Catfood regarding the unprofessional' date=' unoriginal, underpractised bands. Aberdeen has produced fuck all real talent in years.[/quote']

That's just shite - do you even believe what you're typing? Last night, myself and the rest of the boys from Stayover stayed up all night listening to Aberdeen bands from recent years. Driveblind, Sirius, Eddison, Liber8/Alyssa's Wish, MMw, The Score, The X-Certs, Nero and on and on and on.

Every one of these bands had produced recordings and material which was as good as anything comparable to it. In some cases, better.

[EDIT]Furthermore, Dan Goldsworthy (whether in Atom or Weapon) can shred some of the most impressive, breathtaking solos I have ever heard.[/EDIT]

That's just shite - do you even believe what you're typing? Last night' date=' myself and the rest of the boys from Stayover stayed up all night listening to Aberdeen bands from recent years. Driveblind, Sirius, Eddison, Liber8/Alyssa's Wish, MMw, The Score, The X-Certs, Nero and on and on and on.

Every one of these bands had produced recordings and material which was as good as anything comparable to it. In some cases, better.

[EDIT']Furthermore, Dan Goldsworthy (whether in Atom or Weapon) can shred some of the most impressive, breathtaking solos I have ever heard.[/EDIT]

The quality of recording doesnt make a band original, surely its the songwriting? I agree that Dan is a decent guitarist but (I will watch how I word this) being a good guitarist doesnt make a band original, the songs have to be there. I do agree that Dan can write good tunes too. Im still watching how I word this.

Apart from Driveblind, the bands you have mentioned have never really been successfull. Im not wanting to annoy you man, just speaking my mind :cheers:

Im also not trying to belittle the bands you have mentioned

It's gotta be said, there's a very twisted perception in Aberdeen of what successful is - to me, successful is writing a record that changes the average person's life, someone who doesn't know you at all and doesn't know anyone that knows you.

It has to be said, I don't think there's much difference between bands toiling away out of Aberdeen and bands toiling away out of Glasgow/Liverpool/London - but there's a big, big gap between the bands toiling away out of Aberdeen and the bands playing on TOTP.

talent wise' date=' you twat :p

there's some truly god awful bands in Glasgow who only get gigs because they can afford to pay for them - thankfully here, it's mainly meritocratic :s[/quote']

Yeah no-one gets paid well so anyone can get a gig thats half the problem in Aberdeen too, it's too easy to get a gig, it's the only possible good thing about Drakes closing is that it might force the quality of bands up because with less places to play the higher standard bands will get the more available gigs and it might stop bands playing before they're ready.

Cheers

Stuart

I wouldn't get a manager, but that's purely because I would want someone making money off my back. I'm not saying managers are useless, but I think the Smiths way of working sounds fun.