aberdeen-music

bottom ten bands in Aberdeen

Guest RomanChoke

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The quality of recording doesnt make a band original' date=' surely its the songwriting? I agree that Dan is a decent guitarist but (I will watch how I word this) being a good guitarist doesnt make a band original, the songs have to be there. I do agree that Dan can write good tunes too. Im still watching how I word this. [/quote']

You're just backtracking now. You said fuck all talent came out of Aberdeen. Ergo (according to you) Dan's musicianship is not a 'talent'. I'd say he is just one example amongst many of a talented musician.

Your comments about "unprofessional, unoriginal, underpractised bands" may fit the bill for many local acts (as it would anywhere in the world) but I was pointing out that having listened to local music all last night I found examples of artists that are as good as, and in some cases better, than their musical counterparts. In the case of someone like 'Nero' I had to say, 'There's not really anyone else like them is there?'

Also, I never said the recording quality was a measurement of originality. Don't be ridiculous.

Apart from Driveblind' date=' the bands you have mentioned have never really been successfull.[/quote']

So? I'd have thought you'd be the last person to equate success with talent or vice versa. If Aberdeen was a 5 minutes drive from London I'm sure we'd have a lot more 'succesful' bands.

Im not wanting to annoy you man' date=' just speaking my mind :cheers:

Im also not trying to belittle the bands you have mentioned[/quote']

No, I don't think you are, I just think you're doing the typical Aberdeen thing of saying 'Abereen's shite' without actually bothering to think about it. To me, it's just one more voice to add to the chorus of this whiney, self-deprecating city.

If Aberdeen was a 5 minutes drive from London I'm sure we'd have a lot more 'succesful' bands.

No... not at all.

The general quality of bands in London are much much higher.... to get a decent gig you have to have some form of rep... or a very original edge. Something the majority of aberdeen bands lack and will always lack.

Aberdeen = Small city, small pond. London's a big fucking pond, most aberdeen bands wouldn't last a week down there.

See as bob said last night we listened to loads of examples of bands out of Aberdeen that if they had been situated near london they would be famous by now. But due to the fact they are so far away from anything it made things a lot harder for them. Sirrius is another example, they most likely would have made something of themselves if they didnt live so far away from london (where the lable that signed them was based hackpen i believe). I feel that aberdeen has produced some brilliant bands over the last ten years easily as good as any you see that have "made" it. The songs are the same, listen to "someday soon" by The Score, that song is easily as good as any of the "indie" anthems that oasis, stereophonics or any of them do. Opal or Summer by Liber8t/Alyssa's Wish are amazing songs again as good as any produced by similar bands big or small. Driveblind are signed to a major lable for christ sake how can it be said that there has been no talented bands in aberdeen?? Thats just a few examples, go out and have a listen for yourself, the fat hippie website has a lot of good aberdeen bands on it, aubl has some good songs, go on pure volume or any of the bands web sties, when you have a proper look there is a lot of good music, just because these bands arent thrust in your faces as much as maybe the lesser bands are.

No... not at all.

The general quality of bands in London are much much higher.... to get a decent gig you have to have some form of rep... or a very original edge. Something the majority of aberdeen bands lack and will always lack.

Aberdeen = Small city' date=' small pond. London's a big fucking pond, most aberdeen bands wouldn't last a week down there.[/quote']

You know what that is so much bullshit i dont know where to start??

I take it you must of been to a lot of gigs in london to come to this conclusion yeah??

You know what that is so much bullshit i dont know where to start??

I take it you must of been to a lot of gigs in london to come to this conclusion yeah??

I've played in London and met enough label jocks to know how shitty the industry is. The crowds in London are very different to aberdeen.

Seriously... getting no clapping and no being abused is a good thing.

I've played in London and met enough label jocks to know how shitty the industry is. The crowds in London are very different to aberdeen.

Seriously... getting no clapping and no being abused is a good thing.

Ok but that doesnt mean these bands are more talented that the ones that come from aberdeen.

Just cause your from london doesnt mean you can play your instruments better.

No... not at all.

Aberdeen = Small city' date=' small pond. London's a big fucking pond, most aberdeen bands wouldn't last a week down there.[/quote']

Shite. If the going got tougher the bands would work harder. If what you said is true about a 'very original edge' how do you explain the UK music Industry?

Your outlook is seriously polluted by the band you're in and therefore, the company you keep.

Ok but that doesnt mean these bands are more talented that the ones that come from aberdeen.

Just cause your from london doesnt mean you can play your instruments better.

No, not at all. Where you're from makes little difference to what you produce... and how good you are at playing.

I'm just saying the way that "getting a gig in london" operates in London is very different from aberdeen. The audience is extremely different. Quite frankly if you don't have some form of hype or "cool" edge to you... you are buggered.

As for being close to london... its 45 minutes away on an easy jet flight... I think you'll find it wont cost you more than a night in the pub if you book early and the underground is a very good and cheap way to get around.

It's not that difficult to get there, I assure you.

Shite. If the going got tougher the bands would work harder. If what you said is true about a 'very original edge' how do you explain the UK music Industry?

Your outlook is seriously polluted by the band you're in and therefore' date=' the company you keep.[/quote']

Really? I didn't realise you had a mass of gigging experience beyond Dundee, Bob. Do enlighten me.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Shite. If the going got tougher the bands would work harder.

I mostly agree with that' date=' but I think [i']most Aberdeen bands would crumble... there is lots of talent in this grey(granite:P) city of ours, I just think it could be better presented etc.

Your outlook is seriously polluted by the band you're in and therefore' date=' the company you keep.[/quote']

Hahaha, hell yeah!!!

No' date=' not at all. Where you're from makes little difference to what you produce... and how good you are at playing.

I'm just saying the way that "getting a gig in london" operates in London is very different from aberdeen. The audience is extremely different. Quite frankly if you don't have some form of hype or "cool" edge to you... you are buggered.

As for being close to london... its 45 minutes away on an easy jet flight... I think you'll find it wont cost you more than a night in the pub if you book early and the underground is a very good and cheap way to get around.

It's not that difficult to get there, I assure you.[/quote']

Actually i don't agree, getting a gig in London is easy, getting a strong crowd time after time is a lot more difficult.

Getting a gig is easy getting asked back time and again is soemthing i think most bands up here would find difficult.

Cheers

Stuart

No' date=' not at all. Where you're from makes little difference to what you produce... and how good you are at playing.

It's not that difficult to get there, I assure you.[/quote']

i know its not difficult to get their my point was that these bands tend not to get noticed so much due to the fact that record reps wont come up to aberdeen as its too far away so these bands never get the chance.

You're just backtracking now. You said fuck all talent came out of Aberdeen. Ergo (according to you) Dan's musicianship is not a 'talent'. I'd say he is just one example amongst many of a talented musician.

Indeed' date=' perhaps I was being overly harsh. Yes I think Dan is talented, thats why I said he can write decent tunes.[/color']

Your comments about "unprofessional' date=' unoriginal, underpractised bands" may fit the bill for many local acts (as it would anywhere in the world)[/quote']

Indeed, thats what I was saying

but I was pointing out that having listened to local music all last night I found examples of artists that are as good as' date=' and in some cases better, than their musical counterparts. In the case of someone like 'Nero' I had to say, 'There's not really anyone else like them is there?'

Also, I never said the recording quality was a measurement of originality. Don't be ridiculous.[/quote']

Fair enough, dont have a baby

So? I'd have thought you'd be the last person to equate success with talent or vice versa. If Aberdeen was a 5 minutes drive from London I'm sure we'd have a lot more 'succesful' bands.

Perhaps I was overly harsh' date=' there are a lot of shit bands who are also bitchy and talentless. I for one would love to see Aberdeen bands really make a dent in the UK. However, although Edinburgh and Glasgow are larger cities, they have produced several bands in the last few years who have done very well, Aberdeen hasnt. Im not trying to be negative but When was the last Doric Travis etc?[/color']

I need to learn how to use quotes

i know its not difficult to get their my point was that these bands tend not to get noticed so much due to the fact that record reps wont come up to aberdeen as its too far away so these bands never get the chance.

Then again if you want to be noticed get a gig in London and if you;re confident you can get noticed go down and get noticed.

Cheers

Stuart

Oh yeah... that's completely true. Stuff all people come to aberdeen to look at bands. GoNorth is about your only shot. Unfortunately you have to go find the record jocks in other cities.

Actually i don't agree' date=' getting a gig in London is easy, getting a strong crowd time after time is a lot more difficult.

Getting a gig is easy getting asked back time and again is soemthing i think most bands up here would find difficult.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Hence my comment "most bands wouldn't last a week".

I'm not sure how a lot of Aberdeen bands would react to silence - after having to pay a considerable amount to even be there in the first place. Aberdeen is a very respectful place towards bands - if it wasn't, truly rubbish and shocking bands like Gone 2 Far would never get anywhere.

It's funny, how many Aberdeen bands could handle getting slagged to fuck and then ignored by a crowd? I can think of a fair few bands/egos that would crumble, right across the musical spectrum if they got such abuse, particularly if they had put all their effort into the opportunity.

There's a lack of true honesty in Aberdeen concerning bands - which is due in part to the fact that there exists a very obvious mentality of shutting out people who might not like a certain band. I've also witnessed threats of violence towards people in the "Aberdeen scene" for petty little things, yet the people responsible are supposed to be established, professional musical performers in Aberdeen.

Aberdeen is a comfortable place to be in if you have low self esteem - however, if Aberdeen ever does get the recognition that it deserves, then things will change for the worse.