aberdeen-music

bottom ten bands in Aberdeen

Guest RomanChoke

atom

I was curious to why Black Atom were appearing on these lists as when i have seen them i have just sat and or headbanged in amazement. i think alot of decent band on these lists have been picked on because they are actually good, so they get gigs and at every few gigs they play someone who doesnt like them hears them. All the actual shit band (with a few exceptions) dont get gigs so wont get as many people hearing them and hating them. all i have to say is if this topic was based on talent, sound, and just being able to flip the crowd of Black Atom would not be in here. lets face it, compaired to many other bands (really wont mention) they put on a f*cking excellent show and actually perform and dont just play.

just my opinion

Rich

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RockMonkey

Lots opinions, and of course, opinions are like arseholes - everybody's got one. So here's mine. Opinion, not arsehole...

Aberdeen is far away from London. Fact. If you do one gig in London, you will more than likely lose money. (By the way, I've done the mega bus journey to London. 1. it is the worst experience ever 2. you won't be able to take all your stuff down with you ) Easy jet is probably the best way to do it.

1 gig is not enough in London to get even 1 label to come see you, (unless youre really lucky) because the majority of labels are sheep-like creatures who follow the "cool crowd". Even if they do say they are coming, it is likely they won't because they will invariably find something better to do with their time. The best way to be seen by labels is to go down to London for a minimum of 2 weeks, and gig as many gigs as you can. london is very big so you won't saturate it with gigging. By the end of the first week, if you're any good, the labels will hear of you, but don't rely on that. Fax them, mail them poster anywhere you can. Use PRS contacts in London to help your cause. They are always happy to help.

You may find it beneficial to do a group effort with other bands. Most venues will be more pliable to hosting a night of Aberdeen music rather than some unknown (to them) single act. This also will encourage A and R to come along as they will see it as a bargain.

There is a bit of a circuit in London, so you may find it better to talk to local acts there. That way, you can skip the shit gigs and move up the spiral a bit. I have a few contacts if anyone is interested.

The whole London thing is not my cup of tea. There are some venues I like but to be honest, I like my independence so am not chasing a deal as such. Mind you if i got a good offer I would more than likely take it.

The more people from Aberdeen going to London will encourage traffic the other way. The more bands from here show that it is not difficult to travel the distance, the more labels will come.

If anyone does want to come to London (or further south) please feel free to contact me, I have a couple of rooms that are avaible for cheap accommodation. I am a couple of hours drive out of London, but there is a whole host of venues down here that pay at least 200 a night for decent original bands.

As far as the USA goes, you don't need to break it, you just need to infiltrate it. It is simply a huge country and if you got well known in California alone you'd be making your money.

I didn't even make a dent in the charts in the states (obviously: they don't generally like tequila fuelled crazy ladies), but I made more than enough to cover my costs, sold a ton of cd's and had a great time.

As i said before, if anyone wants a hand for gigs down south etc give's a shout. It is full of english people here and the bars shut at eleven, but it's not all that bad...

jo

x

Guest stuartmaxwell

As i said before' date=' if anyone wants a hand for gigs down south etc give's a shout. It is full of english people here and the bars shut at eleven, but it's not all that bad...

jo

x[/quote']

ha ha ha ha :laughing:

Guest RockMonkey

You must be kidding!!! I was stuck in the bend of the bendy bus with my guitar between my knees and a Bargain Hunt fan for company. I was nearly in tears by the time I arrived!

You must be kidding!!! I was stuck in the bend of the bendy bus with my guitar between my knees and a Bargain Hunt fan for company. I was nearly in tears by the time I arrived!

bus journey from hell. you have my deepest sympathy.

we are hoping to play south (london included) later this year so we might take you up on your offer of assistance.

Lots opinions' date=' and of course, opinions are like arseholes - everybody's got one. So here's mine. Opinion, not arsehole...

Aberdeen is far away from London..

As i said before, if anyone wants a hand for gigs down south etc give's a shout. It is full of english people here and the bars shut at eleven, but it's not all that bad...

jo

x[/quote']

One of the best posts I've seen. Wise words indeed. Listen to the lovely lady...

Guest RockMonkey
I've been on a bus form aberdeen to london before' date=' and even further, just going form aberdeen to glasgow on the megabus was too much for me. I could never go to london on it.[/quote']

Personally (if I had the cash) I would do all my journeys by first class train...especially the long ones! you get a cabin and everything. A lady brings you breakfast, and you can get lots of ideas for songs by listening to the people in the restaurant car.

Plus I'm petrified of driving so don't even have a license...

Megabus is fine for shorter journeys, but the drivers can be a bit...um...erratic...