aberdeen-music

bottom ten bands in Aberdeen

Guest RomanChoke

Oh yeah... that's completely true. Stuff all people come to aberdeen to look at bands. GoNorth is about your only shot. Unfortunately you have to go find the record jocks in other cities.

Yeah true.

Its just a fucking shame they dont. I really think that if they did there would be a lot more success for aberdeen bands. Its easier for these bands to get noticed in london because all the big lables, reps, whatever are there, if there is talk of a good new band in london these people will go see them cause they dont have to travel that far, where as if they hear about a good band from aberdeen (and i say if) they will most likely leave it cause its too far for them to be bothered travelling, with the thought that if the band is good enough they will come to them.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence my comment "most bands wouldn't last a week".

I can't think of any current bands that could last playing the London circuit to be honest - however gigs like that would also improve the quality of the band which gets back to my comments about it all being too easy to get a following up here. It surprises me more bands don't do it.

Cheers

Stuart

I can't think of any current bands that could last playing the London circuit to be honest - however gigs like that would also improve the quality of the band which gets back to my comments about it all being too easy to get a following up here. It surprises me more bands don't do it.

Cheers

Stuart

But how many of the bands do you know personely? Can you really make that assumption without knowing what kind of people they are??

Yeah true.

Its just a fucking shame they dont. I really think that if they did there would be a lot more success for aberdeen bands. Its easier for these bands to get noticed in london because all the big lables' date=' reps, whatever are there, if there is talk of a good new band in london these people will go see them cause they dont have to travel that far, where as if they hear about a good band from aberdeen (and i say if) they will most likely leave it cause its too far for them to be bothered travelling, with the thought that if the band is good enough they will come to them.[/quote']

That's all true but theres nothing to stop a band getting a gig in London or Manchester, if you're that good then the chances are the reputation will allow you to get more gigs down there, the issue comes in with, are the bands that good ?

Cheers

Stuart

That's all true but theres nothing to stop a band getting a gig in London or Manchester' date=' if you're that good then the chances are the reputation will allow you to get more gigs down there, the issue comes in with, are the bands that good ?

[/quote']

Some bands undeniably are - The X-Certs have showed time and time again that they can write amazingly catchy songs and sound like something that could be the next big thing - but, as always, personal circumstances come into play. If they were playing London every weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see them mentioned in the NME or whatever.

I don't think it's so much a matter of talent as a matter of will.

Cheers

Stuart

Erm... I can... I'm pretty confident HG#1 would survive it... especially with how they are sounding now and with a strong album on their backs being released on Snowstorm in the spring.

That's all true but theres nothing to stop a band getting a gig in London or Manchester' date=' if you're that good then the chances are the reputation will allow you to get more gigs down there, the issue comes in with, are the bands that good ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I dont think it comes down to are they that good, more to how far are they willing to go to make it. As has been said Aberdeen is not the place to make it. You need to take your band to London, Mancherster, even Glasgow if you really think you have a chance of making it. I think it sometimes looks like too much of a dauting task for most bands. Afterall it does mean leaving everything behind in pursuit of something that is in no way guarenteed.

Some bands undeniably are - The X-Certs have showed time and time again that they can write amazingly catchy songs and sound like something that could be the next big thing - but' date=' as always, personal circumstances come into play. If they were playing London every weekend, I wouldn't be surprised to see them mentioned in the NME or whatever.

I don't think it's so much a matter of talent as a matter of will.[/quote']

haha beat me too it!!!!

Damm you cloud!!!

:up:

Guest Zeenat Aman

Out of interest, how did Drive Blind go about getting themselves noticed?

I'm not a fan of their music, but you got to give them credit for what they have achieved thus far.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

It's true...

Like I said earlier... its like 30 quid for a flight (return) if you book early, if you get your ass together you can maybe share equipment and the underground will cost you a couple of quid. Stay at a friend of the organiser's (they sometimes offer it, you can enquire).. and you've got yourself a gig in London at less than 40 quid a head... plus you get paid when you're down there.

If you're organised it's entirely possible for any aberdeen to get a gig down there.

But how many of the bands do you know personely? Can you really make that assumption without knowing what kind of people they are??

I donlt need to know bands to know musically that they probably couldnt cut it, if you're not orignal and very high quality then the chances are you won't get asked to play many gigs, thats what i mean about Aberdeen bands not being able to play the circuit. You know me well enough to know how highly i think of my bands, well Hog and Emma are not good enough to survive on the London scene yet, they haven't got the vibe right yet. Jo is probably good enough to play the circuit, but in reality only because she's had some good supports that have allowed her to build up a fanbase, starting from scratch down there is very difficult. I'd reckon she has enough of a following she could sell out a 150- 200 capacity show there, a lot more than she's ever get here. She'll certianly be in that kind of position in a few weeks. But she is most definitely the exception - and is in an easier postion as theres only one of her not a full band.

Cheers

Stuart

I dont think it comes down to are they that good' date=' more to how far are they willing to go to make it. As has been said Aberdeen is not the place to make it. You need to take your band to London, Mancherster, even Glasgow if you really think you have a chance of making it. I think it sometimes looks like too much of a dauting task for most bands. Afterall it does mean leaving everything behind in pursuit of something that is in no way guarenteed.[/quote']

erm.... not at all... view my above post.

I donlt need to know bands to know musically that they probably couldnt cut it' date=' if you're not orignal and very high quality then the chances are you won't get asked to play many gigs, thats what i mean about Aberdeen bands not being able to play the circuit. You know me well enough to know how highly i think of my bands, well Hog and Emma are not good enough to survive on the London scene yet, they haven't got the vibe right yet. Jo is probably good enough to play the circuit, but in reality only because she's had some good supports that have allowed her to build up a fanbase, starting from scratch down there is very difficult. I'd reckon she has enough of a following she could sell out a 150- 200 capacity show there, a lot more than she's ever get here. She'll certianly be in that kind of position in a few weeks. But she is most definitely the exception - and is in an easier postion as theres only one of her not a full band.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

But have you heard all the bands that have been mentioned?

I know how you feel about your bands and you know i have a lot of respect for the things you have achieved, but i just dont agree with what you said. I think a band lke the x-certs could survive down in london cause they are that good, they are an amazing band with an awesome live performance, they are better than most of these supposivly more talented bands from down south without a doubt

On this we agree, any band can go down and do hit and run gigs for about the same cash as a trip to edinburgh or glasgow to play, for Aberdeen bands thats the best way to go, the gig scene down there is very hardworking and emoralising and even if you're good you're in danger of overexposure, hit and run tactics are the best. I wouldn't like to manage down there because i think it would be much more difficulkt than it is up here. So many venues, bug dangers of overexposure and in general a higherquality of bands.

cheers

Stuart

mentally though burnham, if you <psychology mode on>, Aberdonians percieve themselves to be isolated in general, we're forever moaning about how far it is from Aberdeen to anywhere - and it wouldn't surprise me if this was a factor when it comes to playing gigs outwith of Aberdeen.

You've also got to give consideration to the fact that some bands undeniably enjoy being big fishes in small ponds - with the subsequent effect that the musical scene here stagnates. It doesn't matter if you support Oasis at the AECC, high profile support slots here mean nothing but experience - they're not going to get you seen and signed by the people that matter.

Again though, it comes down to the fact that the backslapping culture here is very self destructive.

Yeah ok for a one off what you have said is ok but it just isnt feesable(sp) to do that every week or more than that in order for your band to really get somewhere. To really do that i think you need to move to the area' date=' city, country whatever.[/quote']

feasible ;)

But if you're good then you have a strong demo and you send it down and the A&R people will come to your one London gig, whats the problem there ? You only need one gig to be signed, from that point its easy, if you have a strong sound that comes across well then you get everyone to come to your one gig and you go down and you rock out. There you go, problem solved. I'm currently contacting A&R people to attend Jo's gig in London at the end of next month, nice and easy.

Cheers

Guest Zeenat Aman
On this we agree' date=' any band can go down and do hit and run gigs for about the same cash as a trip to edinburgh or glasgow to play, for Aberdeen bands thats the best way to go, the gig scene down there is very hardworking and demoralising and even if you're good you're in danger of overexposure, hit and run tactics are the best. I wouldn't like to manage down there because i think it would be much more difficulkt than it is up here. So many venues, bug dangers of overexposure and in general a higherquality of bands.

cheers

Stuart[/quote']

If I may be so bold, what exactly do you do as manager?

I'm not meaning this in an attacking way, I'm just curious.

ps: I added the D on to 'emoralising' for you:P

If I may be so bold' date=' what exactly do you do as manager?

I'm not meaning this in an attacking way, I'm just curious.

ps: I added the D on to 'emoralising' for you:P[/quote']

I talk to people about gigs, I organise supports, I do press stuff,i speak to record companies, I cut deals with recording studio's and organise artwork, sell cds, whatever needs ot be done :).

What I donlt do is type well ;)

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
I talk to people about gigs' date=' I organise supports, I do press stuff,i speak to record companies, I cut deals with recording studio's and organise artwork, sell cds, whatever needs to be done :).

What I dont do is type well ;)

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Sounds like a lot of work, what percentage do you take/get?

:p

My ideal would be for all involved to get an equal cut of any money that was made etc. In an ideal world, which of course we dont live in!

Sounds like a a lot of work' date=' what percentage do you take/get?

:p

My ideal would be for all involved to get an equal cut of any money that was made etc. In an ideal world, which of course we dont live in![/quote']

I generally don't take a penny except for my expenses, I did get paid for the artwork i did for the album, but in general I do it because I enjoy it. Most of it involves emailing and making contacts, when it goes well its pretty special, I also did do the European Tour a couple of years ago which was a lot of fun. Sadly I won't be doing Jo's London date later on this month which is to 2000 people with Midge Ure which I'd have liked to have been involved in as I sorted that one out. I generally do the driving etc for the Scottish dates so I'll do the Dunfermline and Falkirk Midge dates later this year. I am meant to be on 20% of whatever she makes that I sort out but in general i donlt take it because that would leave her with nothing.

Cheers

Stuart