aberdeen-music

bottom ten bands in Aberdeen

Guest RomanChoke

Guest Zeenat Aman

Be honest and realistic... in a global sense, the vast majority of Aberdeen bands are very un original, under rehearsed and unprofessional.

This is sometimes a good thing mind you, the ramshackle thing works for a few bands I've seen, but mostly, it's all very amateaurish and local orientated level.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are very nice blokes actually

not scenesters either which makes them even nicer! :up:

Seconded:

The Wildcards are nice lads... I don't approve of their hats... but they are lovely chaps. Not assholes...

However, Lady Mercedes on the other hand....

PS: Yes, I think Broken Sunshine are a bit piss... as are Gilman Street. I have yet to view "stayover" so can't say they are awful... however I have looked at their lyrics... and they are awful.

Guest stuartmaxwell

I have yet to view "stayover" so can't say they are awful... however I have looked at their lyrics... and they are awful.

:laughing:

ha ha ha that is class burnham, class

agreed. the lyrics are tres poor

I have yet to view "stayover" so can't say they are awful...

...but when I do I will.

I do so love a fair chance.

:laughing:

ha ha ha that is class burnham' date=' class

agreed. the lyrics are tres poor[/quote']

You're right Maxwell, there's just no comeback to wit like that.

Be honest and realistic... in a global sense' date=' the vast majority of Aberdeen bands are very un original, under rehearsed and unprofessional.

This is sometimes a good thing mind you, the ramshackle thing works for a few bands I've seen, but mostly, it's all very amateaurish and local orientated level.[/quote']

:nono:

how many aberdeen bands have you seen ?

and

do you think it's any different anywhere else ?

Guest Zeenat Aman
:nono:

how many aberdeen bands have you seen ?

and

do you think it's any different anywhere else ?

I have seen lots of Aberdeen bands live and I've also been a member/played gigs with quite a few as well, it's just my opinion, based on personal experience. :)

Not sure if it's different anywhere else, on a local level, but when bands from Glasgow/Edinburgh etc have played here, the difference in group presentation, togetherness, sound etc has been, erm, better and more proffesional I think.

I have seen lots of Aberdeen bands live and I've also been a member/played gigs with quite a few as well' date=' it's just my opinion, based on personal experience. :)

Not sure if it's different anywhere else, on a local level, but when bands from Glasgow/Edinburgh etc have played here, the difference in group presentation, togetherness, sound etc has been, erm, presented better to the audience I think.[/quote']

I think that depends very much on the bands, and the difference is that the bands from Glasgow and Edinburgh that play up here are the ones who have reached the point of playing outside of their city which i think many bands haven't here. There are a lot of bands who don't come across as professional as they think they are, which is fine, at the end of the day the only people that suffer from that are the bands.

In any scene you're going to have bands that think they're a lot better than they are and think they have a right to be liked, Aberdeen is no different in that. The only difference I think up here is that as its more difficult for bands to break out and play other locations just because of the geographical and financial limitations then a lot of bands are more content to play to Aberdeen audiences and not take the risks involved in getting out, and a lot of bands, through no fault of their own can't afford to take the risks of playing outside of Aberdeen, and that I think all reflects on the way the band comes across. happy to be liked in one city not bothered about other ones.

Cheers

Stuart

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Zeenat Aman
I think that depends very much on the bands' date=' and the difference is that the bands from Glasgow and Edinburgh that play up here are the ones who have reached the point of playing outside of their city which i think many bands haven't here. There are a lot of bands who don't come across as professional as they think they are, which is fine, at the end of the day the only people that suffer from that are the bands.

In any scene you're going to have bands that think they're a lot better than they are and think they have a right to be liked, Aberdeen is no different in that. The only difference I think up here is that as its more difficult for bands to break out and play other locations just because of the geographical and financial limitations then a lot of bands are more content to play to Aberdeen audiences and not take the risks involved in getting out, and a lot of bands, through no fault of their own can't afford to take the risks of playing outside of Aberdeen, and that I think all reflects on the way the band comes across. happy to be liked in one city not bothered about other ones.

Cheers

Stuart

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Good points... so many bands do themselves an injustice by not being more proffesional, I'm going to take a risk(dont hate me jim:P) and use a band I was once a member of as an example!

The Staccato Set: By all accounts they are(especially when I was in em ;)) one hell of a band, but I know that they dont, make that didn't write/rehearse together all that often. Despite this, the music still cooked and we played some shit hot gigs. With more rehearsing and 'togetherness' I think that band could easily be one of the best live acts in Britain... but!

Its very difficult for a band who know more than half the audience by their first name to look proffesional. Stage craft is also a slow learning process and unless bands are playing a lot they will never improve, but its a catch 22 situation, untill you have the craft you cant get the out of town gigs....so therfore the local bands you see are either: shit, new or lack ambition...or when they do show some real professionalism they get torn to bits by the kids who once worshiped them, and in some cases get voted worst band in aberdeen.....me bitter....never :nono:

Good points... so many bands do themselves an injustice by not being more proffesional' date=' I'm going to take a risk(dont hate me jim:P) and use a band I was once a member of as an example!

The Staccato Set: By all accounts they are(especially when I was in em ;)) one hell of a band, but I know that they dont, make that didn't write/rehearse together all that often. Despite this, the music still cooked and we played some shit hot gigs. With more rehearsing and 'togetherness' I think that band could easily be one of the best live acts in Britain... but![/quote']

Yeah, thats one of the reasons I dont understand the whole ethos many bands on here have that having a manager is a bad thing, a good and professional manager can really help a band along in many ways and I've been told by many people in the industry that they tend to take bands with managers more seriously purely because they're ready to take that next stage. I think that bands coming across well on and off stage is very important and I think its too easy to get drunk at every gig and treat it as the big rock and roll lifestyle but the reality is that you're not going to take it to the next level with that attitude, at leats thats my opinion on the matter.

I think that sometimes bands let the idea of being in a band take over from the idea that you have to practise hard and try and be the best you can, getting out and playing gigs is good but its how you play those gigs and what you do from there that makes it important. Then again its what you want from it that defines that, if you're happy to play for just fun then thats cool, if you want to be a professional band then its different.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell

staccato are great and have proved themselves as a pretty versatile band as well as having great songs etc

i got them down to glasgow in december for a gig and they were great

i think the relaxed attitude that they take makes them what they are.

bands being professional is a tough one. to me it means turning up on time with adequate resources and spares, being co-operative with the other bands/promoter and giving good value to money in their show. something which i *now* make sure happens in the band i play in.

its a tough one to call

i agree with stuart on his points about out of town bands playing here.

Its very difficult for a band who know more than half the audience by their first name to look proffesional. Stage craft is also a slow learning process and unless bands are playing a lot they will never improve' date=' but its a catch 22 situation, untill you have the craft you cant get the out of town gigs....so therfore the local bands you see are either: shit, new or lack ambition...or when they do show some real professionalism they get torn to bits by the kids who once worshiped them, and in some cases get voted worst band in aberdeen.....me bitter....never :nono:[/quote']

A lot of that is jealousy though, when a band start to achieve something its often people who don't like that who attack them, primarily because it reminds them that its what they're lacking. Stage craft etc, when combined with talent is a something many bands lack in Aberdeen and yet its something that can be learned. Something that I've seen that often puts me off bands in Aberdeen is there are so many in jokes that are used on stage etc that excludes half the audience straight away. Thats a by product of people, as you say, playing to audiences that are made up of friends and dfirends of friends.

Cheers

Stuart

bands being professional is a tough one. to me it means turning up on time with adequate resources and spares' date=' being co-operative with the other bands/promoter and giving good value to money in their show. something which i *now* make sure happens in the band i play in.[/quote']

Thats very true, thats a big part of professionalism, to me, how a band comes across on stage also is part of the professionalism, something that helps them define an identity. As i said to me, telling of in jokes etc really puts me off bands. The worst for that, and I know that Fudge gigs are different, was the set by Asian Morrisette at the Fudge X-mas gig which was all in jokes and I know managed to really confuse and annoy some friends who were with me who didn't have a clue what was being talked about. I realise that people look on Fudge gigs as different etc, but when you have new people there listening to your music, in my mind it doesn't do you any favours to alienate them instantly, tho i'm sure the band don't carewhich is fine, as I said it all depends on what the band wish to achieve, although on the other side, I can't imagine them ever going to another Fudge gig because of it.

Cheers

Stuart

Thats very true' date=' thats a big part of professionalism, to me, how a band comes across on stage also is part of the professionalism, something that helps them define an identity. As i said to me, telling of in jokes etc really puts me off bands. The worst for that, and I know that Fudge gigs are different, was the set by Asian Morrisette at the Fudge X-mas gig which was all in jokes and I know managed to really confuse and annoy some friends who were with me who didn't have a clue what was being talked about. I realise that people look on Fudge gigs as different etc, but when you have new people there listening to your music, in my mind it doesn't do you any favours to alienate them instantly, tho i'm sure the band don't carewhich is fine, as I said it all depends on what the band wish to achieve, although on the other side, I can't imagine them ever going to another Fudge gig because of it.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I honestly thought asian morisette at that gig was fucking terrible....as you may have seen us at that gig aswell....we tend to have a joke or 2....but not to the extent of singing about our mates taking it in the arse....wasnt funny and wasnt good viewing....

Guest stuartmaxwell

i thought asian was slightly humourous, which i think was the whole point

of the set and i can see why fowk wouldnt like it etc.

i thought ven hell were funny also

*i was rather wasted by this point and ven hell shouting "guuuuuts" got me shouting it like an excited child. oh how drink is a terrible thing to me :down:

i chatted to hog for a while (i think). thoroughly nice chap

but in general i was being a fool that night :D

I honestly thought asian morisette at that gig was fucking terrible....as you may have seen us at that gig aswell....we tend to have a joke or 2....but not to the extent of singing about our mates taking it in the arse....wasnt funny and wasnt good viewing....

Having a joke on stage etc is part of the fun like Hog being Bondage Santa, but the Asian Morisette set just showed a lot of what I dont like about a lot of local gigs which is they really are put on for friends of the band, not for music fans in general, whcih is fine if thats what people want, but I found it disappointing in my first Fudge gig.

Cheers

Stuart

i thought asian was slightly humourous' date=' which i think was the whole point

of the set and i can see why fowk wouldnt like it etc.

i thought ven hell were funny also

*i was rather wasted by this point and ven hell shouting "guuuuuts" got me shouting it like an excited child. oh how drink is a terrible thing to me :down:

i chatted to hog for a while (i think). thoroughly nice chap

but in general i was being a fool that night :D[/quote']

Guuuuutss chants get people exicted at any time of the day and regardless of being pissed!!

Guest stuartmaxwell
Having a joke on stage etc is part of the fun like Hog being Bondage Santa' date=' but the Asian Morisette set just showed a lot of what I dont like about a lot of local gigs which is they really are put on for friends of the band, not for music fans in general, whcih is fine if thats what people want, but I found it disappointing in my first Fudge gig.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

err i think you should take it all with a pinch of salt. fudge gigs are just as much about getting drunk as the music.

the informal atmosphere at fudge gigs is great, i have met a lot of people who have become friends at their gigs

fudge: bringing people together

its a good ring

But our avatars are cool arnt they so that must count for something....

I stole my avatar from Bob... I do dig your avatars.

And hey.... Bob... I haven't said you're awful yet, but you wait with baited breath I'm sure.