aberdeen-music

Broken Sunshine?

Birdman

i'm sure theres a few more metal bands kicking about. no-one really goes on about the metal scene in Aberdeen' date=' the punk scene tends to get most of the flak. why is that?[/quote']

Maybe everyone's scared of the metal guys 'cause they sound angry in their songs but aren't of the punkers as their songs sound happier? ;)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're full of shit. What we could do with is less "bands" that sit with their thumbs up their ass thinking about playing a gig or doing anything for that matter' date=' maybe, one day, if it's not too much bother. What we could do with is less people in said "bands" telling other people to quit as if others are somehow stopping them from getting their own shit organised. Concentrate on your own music and whatever your problem is with Point of Origin, just fucking get over it.[/quote']

:laughing:

jesus man, i was pulling your pisser

:moody:

there isn't *that* much Aberdeen punk bands. let's see:

Five Finger Discount

Gone2Far

Broken Sunshine

Gilman Street

Point Of Origin

Quik

10 Easy Wishes

thats all i can think of right now. let's see how many local Metal bands i can name:

Black Atom

Hot Mangu

Ricastonia

Spike Pile Driver

Element 106

Reap

Open Air

Vomitus

Filthpact

Double Jack

i'm sure theres a few more metal bands kicking about. no-one really goes on about the metal scene in Aberdeen' date=' the punk scene tends to get most of the flak. why is that?[/quote']

In my opinion, it's probably because you need more experience on a musical instrument to be in a metal band than a punk one. fair enough, tell me I am full of shit, but you know it's the goddam truth ;)

so what I say is' date=' give our stuff a listen, realise that we arent similar to the hex pens at all, and then try commenting about it on another thread, because we welcome criticism that is constructive. We don't think our music is amazing, nor do we patronize anyone elses. Fair enough, that really is great that there are different types of punk in Aberdeen, but it is still the same foundations of music in every band that plays punk.

I genuinely think you got the wrong end of the stick with my little "too much punk" statement, but I appreciate your honesty in retaliation, even if i think you were a little misjudging and unfair[/quote']

sound

but maybe you should take your own advice, i mean read some of the shit you've said, you reply can easily reply to what you said.

and about this part

"there are different types of punk in Aberdeen, but it is still the same foundations of music in every band that plays punk."

take a step back and look at that comment, lets be real ALL music comes from the same foundations of music kayne using notes A through G

so that statement doesnt really account for much

I am meaning in terms of general structure, tempo and chords, not the overall form of general music. Punk can easily be recognized from these 3 components, and that's what I was trying to highlight.

And as for looking back at what I said, it's quite hard to describe my exact thoughts and put it into words on the internet, so most of it probably only made full sense to me

Guest Jake Wifebeater
let's see how many local Metal bands i can name:

Spike Pile Driver

No! I MUST stop you there. There is no way I would want Spike to be thought of as a metal band. Sure, Hog is in E106 too but I'd be very surprised if anyone who had seen us or heard the CD would class us as metal. There's the odd tinge of it but I consciously avoid metal in general, well, the metal attitude anyway. We're definitely more of a punk band. Didn't you say yourself you'd yet to see us? I'm not having a go at you, mate, just wanted to clear that one up.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Jakes a metalhead.

he listens to Iron Maiden and Manowar....exclusively.

Spike Pile Driver are a pop-metal band.

Thurisaz sucks the emo root. Joining Filthpact has all been part of an elaborate smoke-screen. You're outed!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
A pair of bands caled Misled Youth and Bosseye. I am not familiar with eithor' date=' but I can safely say we'll stick out like sore thumbs. :D[/quote']

They should put us on first, it'll solve the people-leaving-after-their-mates'-band-have-finished problem, as we are friendless.

Guest allsystemsfail

Five Finger Discount

Gone2Far

Broken Sunshine

Gilman Street

Point Of Origin

Quik

10 Easy Wishes

thats all i can think of right now. let's see how many local Metal bands i can name:

Black Atom

Hot Mangu

Ricastonia

Spike Pile Driver

Element 106

Reap

Open Air

Vomitus

Filthpact

Double Jack

Filthpact are a punk outfit.

Broken Sunshine

I like Broken Sunshine. They sound nothing like any of the music i'm listening to right now but I am a big fan of good pop music. They have a long way to go before they are anywhere near the finished product but the potential is definately there...some of the harmonies on the single are fantastic and the songs aint bad either. Mark showed me some recordings a few months back and I was impressed. He has done fantastic job with the single..how did he get he manage to get such a great guitar sound?! When I recorded at Exile with The Gloria Flaw in June I used a Gibson SG through my Marshall amp and it doesn't sound anywhere near as good!

I was a bit shocked with how young Broken Sunshine are when I saw them playing in 1-up a few weeks ago..but this is to their credit. With patience and the right attitude they are more than capable of making an impact on the local scene and perhaps further afield in the future.

Are their any Broken Sunshine songs up for download anywhere?

I'm afraid I can't see much similarity between the Hex Pens and us

I too fail to see the similarities between the two bands.. and i reckon i've heard enough from both to reach this conclusion.

CRRRAAAAZYYY....sorry Arron but Fluffy and the Rainbow bunnies are nothing like the Hexagonal Pensioners....

Were are *without sounding arrogant* one of the more "different"(when i say different i mean wierd and shit) bands in aberdeen , so "different" that nobody can stand it anymore so we are pretty close to splitting up ...

Fluffy and the Rainbow bunnies .... I'v heard quite alot of their stuff compaired to most people but still i havnt heard much of it (considering how much material they have) and what i have heard i would describe as beefheart / euro pop / grindcore

but anyways....who actually cares were just ripping off bands just the same as the rest of the music scene only most of you havnt heard the bands were ripping off before and so you think its origninal - fools! :p

Hey this is for Alex its sam from disruptive influence i was just postin to say cheers for the gig and if we get a chance to return the favour we will.Also im confused cos owen was talkin about how u thought i thought u wer starin me out or sumfin but i didnt fink that (sry that prob makes no sense) anyway enough rambling post back if u get a chance :rolleyes:

Five Finger Discount

Gone2Far

Broken Sunshine

Gilman Street

Point Of Origin

Quik

10 Easy Wishes

Black Atom

Hot Mangu

Ricastonia

Spike Pile Driver

Element 106

Reap

Open Air

Vomitus

Filthpact

Double Jack

Now kids... what is punk?

I wouldnt class some of those as pure punk.... more pop punk.

Sorry... I'm taking the piss *looks towards Reap reference*

Dear god... that song is awful.

Now now :up:

Lets got get onto this again!! lol

As for REAP yeah thats not one of their better ones.

I should hope not... I enjoy doing impressions of it when all other conversation dies... Doesn't always help though . :moody:

I'll embrace it forever though, god bless Fudge.

If anything it brought a smile to my face... but I was laughing...

:up: