aberdeen-music

Broken Sunshine?

Birdman

Popped into One Up on Saturday to have a look- didn't think too much to be honest. I wouldn't say they were awful' date=' but I can't say I loved it either, although it was only one song........so I can't make a full judgement I suppose.[/quote']

see? you come off as being evil then mess it up by being sympathetic lol

ill be quiet now...oh and WHY DIDNT YOU INVITE ME. cunt :devil:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Constructive criticism is the only way to go about things... Music' date=' bands, performing, writing, is not about making it interesting for people, or playing to people's interests. One person's 'GREAT' is another's 'RUBBISH'. When you wirte material, and pperform live, you play for yourself. You do what yopu enjoy and what comes naturally to you. Sure you keep challenging yourself, and trying different things (which BS do, in terms of harmonies and so on... they have come on along way...) but you should be doing that naturally for yourselves, and not because people think you should, or because someone else tells you you should. Otherwise you take the passion and the drive right out of it.

A scene to be successful needs music of all genres, not just metal, hardcore, metal punk. It needs the whole deal. I like the Aberdfeen scene for that very reason, because there is diversity. And in my opinion, there are bands would pay week in and week out to see, and Ill admit that maybe Broken Sunshine are on that list, but I make the difference between a band not being in my taste, and a band who have my respect, because they are trying, and they are enjoying the challenge. No band is ever going to please everyone, it is impossible, so therefore what is important, is that you are trying, you are enjoying it, you stand up for your music... And that is what SnowWhite is doing... Good on you for that, and keep up the work! :up:[/quote']

:sleeping:

There could be less punk bands in Aberdeen though, I think you would agree

That's not what I said at all!

If i really have to constructively criticise your band' date=' then very well:

When I first heard Broken Sunshine, I said in my head "oh shit, not another melodic pop chick band", because let's face it, this genre is pretty damn boring. There was nothing in the music which gripped me at all, no instruments standed out, and the vocals really were so typical that I wanted to leave immediately. I think you should add depth and more texture to your material, something which people can identify as a unique Broken Sunshine band. Trying to be like another band (in this case, I thought you were dwelling in the shadows of Tuuli), and actually trying to go somewhere, is a meaningless effort. Fair enough, you may just be doing this just for fun, but at least make it interesting to other people if that is your intention.

You probably won't realise, but my statement above isn't exactly a unicorn in a field of horses. This opinion crops up time and time again with discussion to your sound and genre. I thought you would have picked up what I was implying when i said my statement was a bit clich, but I guess you didn't.[/quote']

yeah i hate it when people just want to mimic the hex pens kayne?

A scene to be successful needs music of all genres' date=' not just metal, hardcore, metal punk. It needs the whole deal. I like the Aberdfeen scene for that very reason, because there is diversity. And in my opinion, there are bands would pay week in and week out to see, and Ill admit that maybe Broken Sunshine are on that list, but I make the difference between a band not being in my taste, and a band who have my respect, because they are trying, and they are enjoying the challenge. No band is ever going to please everyone, it is impossible, so therefore what is important, is that you are trying, you are enjoying it, you stand up for your music... And that is what SnowWhite is doing... Good on you for that, and keep up the work! :up:[/quote']

Recently we have been playing a lot, and, when we started playing gigs, I didnt want to become one of those bands who plays every single weekend who people would just end up getting bored with, because I ended up hating one band cus they played so much I just got sick of hearing them over and over again. But, in our defense, we have been playing so much recently to promote the release of our CD. We are now taking a short hiatus and arnt actually playing til Halloween, thats almost a month.

There could be less punk bands in Aberdeen though' date=' I think you would agree[/quote']

I think there's plenty place for Broken Sunshine, Five Finger Discount, Quik, PoO, 10 Easy Wishes and whoever else you'd class as 'punk' in Aberdeen.

Perhaps a good idea is if all of 5FD and Broken Sunshine form just one band as the others are a bit more established. Some of you might need to learn brass parts though.

I think there's plenty place for Broken Sunshine' date=' Five Finger Discount, Quik, PoO, 10 Easy Wishes and whoever else you'd class as 'punk' in Aberdeen.

Perhaps a good idea is if all of 5FD and Broken Sunshine form just one band as the others are a bit more established. Some of you might need to learn brass parts though.[/quote']

I wasn't really clear on that one sorry. I was meaning the "less-established" ones, and point of origin

I'm afraid I can't see much similarity between the Hex Pens and us

You are just stereotyping us with the "avant garde" statement' date=' which is pretty narrow minded of you :sleeping:[/quote']

what so its one rule for you and another for me? you say theres too many punk bands in aberdeen, i say theres a band ripping the HP's style and thats not ok?

i dont mean to sound arrogant here, but i dont think anyone else in aberdeen is playing songs like ours really, our sound may be bland on the large scale of things, but in this town it isnt really covered.

whereas the rainbow bunnies, popped up soon after the hex pens got a bunch of shows and some buzz about them, a coincident? i doubt it.

as for sounding "nothing like the hex pens" come on that song you sent me might aswell have been written by those guys.

Whether they sound like their CD live is down the quality of the sound/engineer at the venue....

I have to disagree, in general of course, not specifically this band.

Firstly, live sound shouldn't, and very rarely can, sound like a CD in my opinion.

Secondly, if a band is using different equipment to that used on the CD, it's not going to sound the same, close maybe but not the same.

Finally, the positions of the people on stage are more than likely closer to each other than on the recording resulting in a lot of bleed through certain mics, especially the vocals, (which won't be there with overdubbed vocals).

what so its one rule for you and another for me? you say theres too many punk bands in aberdeen' date=' i say theres a band ripping the HP's style and thats not ok?

i dont mean to sound arrogant here, but i dont think anyone else in aberdeen is playing songs like ours really, our sound may be bland on the large scale of things, but in this town it isnt really covered.

whereas the rainbow bunnies, popped up soon after the hex pens got a bunch of shows and some buzz about them, a coincident? i doubt it.

as for sounding "nothing like the hex pens" come on that song you sent me might aswell have been written by those guys.[/quote']

But hey arron remember unless your a punk band or an emo band its ok to copy whatever you want remeber that.

what so its one rule for you and another for me? you say theres too many punk bands in aberdeen' date=' i say theres a band ripping the HP's style and thats not ok?

as for sounding "nothing like the hex pens" come on that song you sent me might aswell have been written by those guys.[/quote']

FATRB began months before the Hex Pens gigged (last February I recall), so I don't think it's fair that you can say that we rip the hex pens off and follow through the door which they opened. As you mentioned, it seems that you have only heard one song by us, out of the 61 available to download off soundclick, and the many other 100s which noone has heard. Perhaps you may want to have a listen to a little more of our stuff and realise that we sound fuck all like the HPs, backing up the fact that this statement was quite narrow-minded of you.

I'm not saying that there is one rule for you and one for me, but if I think your 'rules' are misjudging and unfair, then I can't help if I feel I need to comment on them.

Why say this now? You were beefing us at the time. You only have to look at our guestbook which you signed to figure that one out.

FATRB began months before the Hex Pens gigged (last February I recall)' date=' so I don't think it's fair that you can say that we rip the hex pens off and follow through the door which they opened. As you mentioned, it seems that you have only heard one song by us, out of the 61 available to download off soundclick, and the many other 100s which noone has heard. Perhaps you may want to have a listen to a little more of our stuff and realise that we sound fuck all like the HPs, backing up the fact that this statement was quite narrow-minded of you.

I'm not saying that there is one rule for you and one for me, but if I think your 'rules' are misjudging and unfair, then I can't help if I feel I need to comment on them.

Why say this now? You were beefing us at the time. You only have to look at our guestbook which you signed to figure that one out.[/quote']

im not the one being narrow minded you are the one saying "theres too many punk bands and such" but to be honest almost every single one of those bands covers a different variety of punk,

and if i was "beefing" i don t see how that helps your arguement, 2pac got shot dead for "beefing".

i think you mean i was saying that your band was good, well yeah i was, but i always felt the HP vibe coming through, only never mentioned it until you got this attiude about you that your shit doesnt stink as if you're doing something amazing, and everyone else is...not.

I wasn't really clear on that one sorry. I was meaning the "less-established" ones' date=' and point of origin[/quote']

You're full of shit. What we could do with is less "bands" that sit with their thumbs up their ass thinking about playing a gig or doing anything for that matter, maybe, one day, if it's not too much bother. What we could do with is less people in said "bands" telling other people to quit as if others are somehow stopping them from getting their own shit organised. Concentrate on your own music and whatever your problem is with Point of Origin, just fucking get over it.

Guest scott cs.

There could be less punk bands in Aberdeen though' date=' I think you would agree[/quote']

there isn't *that* much Aberdeen punk bands. let's see:

Five Finger Discount

Gone2Far

Broken Sunshine

Gilman Street

Point Of Origin

Quik

10 Easy Wishes

thats all i can think of right now. let's see how many local Metal bands i can name:

Black Atom

Hot Mangu

Ricastonia

Spike Pile Driver

Element 106

Reap

Open Air

Vomitus

Filthpact

Double Jack

i'm sure theres a few more metal bands kicking about. no-one really goes on about the metal scene in Aberdeen, the punk scene tends to get most of the flak. why is that?

More punk bands: Contra, Flight 19, possibly the X-Certs. Also Toxik Ephex and Inept 303 and so on... not all the bands are gigging all the time though. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how many there are because people attend the gigs they want to attend.

im not the one being narrow minded you are the

one saying "theres too many punk bands and such" but to be honest

almost every single one of those bands covers a different variety of

punk' date='

and if i was "beefing" i don t see how that helps your arguement,

2pac got shot dead for "beefing".

i think you mean i was saying that your band was good, well yeah i

was, but i always felt the HP vibe coming through, only never

mentioned it until you got this attiude about you that your shit

doesnt stink as if you're doing something amazing, and everyone else

is...not.[/quote']

enough of this. If this isn't going to be a constructive debate and more

of a bicker as to who is the most narrow-minded, then let's not

bother.

it feels like you are completely unsure on your opinion of

our band, so what I say is, give our stuff a listen, realise that we arent similar to the hex pens at all, and then try commenting about it on another thread, because we welcome criticism that is constructive. We don't think our music is amazing, nor do we patronize anyone elses. Fair enough, that really is great that there are different types of punk in Aberdeen, but it is still the same foundations of music in every band that plays punk.

I genuinely think you got the wrong end of the stick with my little "too much punk" statement, but I appreciate your honesty in retaliation, even if i think you were a little misjudging and unfair