aberdeen-music

Watch the Skies - Saturday night!

pogofish

Just in case it is clear on Saturday night & anyone is wandering about at the dead of night in a half compus-mentus state. It is the Leonid Meteors on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Peak time for the UK will be @04:30 but they will be visible from @midnight to dawn. The predictions for this years shower are very promising indeed & if there is going to be a chance to see a big shower anywhere, this will be it.

http://www.arm.ac.uk/leonid/2006/info2006.html

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/blobrana/news/leonids.html

:)

Although being out of town & in the darkest place possible is indeed the best, you should have no problem seeing many of the larger meteor trails over streetlights. I've watched them in town for the last couple of visible years but I'm planning to get well out this year.

Even down at the Beach/Broad Hill (or anywhere on the coast) is an excellent spot as the meteors appear from over the sea (@3am, they will be coming from nearly the south/south-east). A few of us watched the big shower of 2001 there & got an excellent show. Which continued to be visible over a lovely sunrise on the Peterhead road. Before realising just how cold it had got & that our boots had frozen into the sand! - Chair blanket/sleeping bag & flask/hip-flask/carry-out are near vital optional extras! :D

It is the Northern Lights that need the absolute minimum of light pollution - I'm signed-up on Aurorwatch too. :)

Of course, any cloud will wipe-out the whole thing for us, as it did with the Orionids a few weeks back. :(

Although being out of town & in the darkest place possible is indeed the best, you should have no problem seeing many of the larger meteor trails over streetlights. I've watched them in town for the last couple of visible years but I'm planning to get well out this year.

Even down at the Beach/Broad Hill (or anywhere on the coast) is an excellent spot as the meteors appear from over the sea (@3am, they will be coming from nearly the south/south-east). A few of us watched the big shower of 2001 there & got an excellent show. Which continued to be visible over a lovely sunrise on the Peterhead road. Before realising just how cold it had got & that our boots had frozen into the sand! - Chair blanket/sleeping bag & flask/hip-flask/carry-out are near vital optional extras! :D

It is the Northern Lights that need the absolute minimum of light pollution - I'm signed-up on Aurorwatch too. :)

Of course, any cloud will wipe-out the whole thing for us, as it did with the Orionids a few weeks back. :(

Sir-Patrick-Moore-copy.jpg

We broke into another college's park to watch (to get away from the town centre and all the lights). It was dark but a bit cloudy so all we saw was a few shooting stars around 4.15... then someone got scared we would get caught for trespassing, and we went back. It was a pleasant venture, but I'd like to have done it a bit more whole-heartedly.

Well, after going to the tunnels, I spent last night, swaithed in thermals, up the Cairn O'Mount. It was a crystal clear night. Whilst there were a fair number of spectacular meteors to be seen, the hail of them didn't happen this year. There were particularly good ones @3am & a short burst of bright, long trailed ones @5am. Smaller meteors were steady on a minute by minute basis.

My photos were not up to much, however, sunrise brought a different sight. The first light dusting of snow for this winter.

301303466_d42f646e82_o.jpg

301305714_40dcd985ca_o.jpg

301305167_4e16dc9541_o.jpg

301304572_7b152be0ed_o.jpg

301306876_37c30ab83b_o.jpg

All-in, along with some deer & two hunting owls, a good night. :)

Sir-Patrick-Moore-copy.jpg When you see the meteor shower continually press the D-Pad in the sequence left-right-left-right up-down sequence until the cloud clears and you see the orionids then press A then B then start. The game will begin but now you have access to all hidden weapons.

If memory serves, that's the cheat from Sonic The Hedgehog...