aberdeen-music

American History X

SteveCrisis

awesome film.

although i have to cover my eyes/ears at the kerb/curb (sp?) stomping bit.

I tried that - it disnae work - lol

Seriously - great film and one that you makes you want to shower after watching.

I think Norton went on the record as saying he hated the musclature that he gained for the movie.

I tried that - it disnae work - lol

does for me. but then i'm a bit of an expert at the old covering of eyes and ears, i can NOT deal with anything scary/not nice in films. one of my friends linked me to a picture of some guy from an old horror film the other day and i swear i almost cried.

Aye AHX is brilliant, as is Red Dragon - I thought Silence of the Lamb was good, Hannibal was utter pish and RD was a return to form, excellent! :up:

Anyone seen Irreversible? Its very harsh but very good! Cut backwards like Momento and every scene is a single shot, including a 12 minute rape scene - not very pleasant :down:

Haha, noted and edited :p

I've yet to see Irreversible, will go and check it out :up: It has Monica Bellucci in it, which is always a plus point ;)

12 minute rape scene

Started a new band? Sound aggressive? Don't know what to call your band?

Actually, anyone want to start a band called 12 minute rape scene? Bagsies being front man.

Back on topic, I thought "The Score" was an absolute load of ding but for Norton and De Niro's performances, they saved a bad movie.

Anyone seen Irreversible? Its very harsh but very good! Cut backwards like Momento and every scene is a single shot, including a 12 minute rape scene - not very pleasant :down:

I've never understood why this film is so acclaimed - actually it's probably because it's so controversial and 'out there'. It's just utter garbage, like a modern day smutt film that rides on the reputation of the rape scene (i.e. the first thing anyone says about the film) and nothing else. There's not much of a story, the acting's pretty sub-standard.

It's a movie to be endured, not enjoyed. Interesting film technique and ideology, i.e. the infuriating buzzing sounds through the first part of the film, and the real-time rape scene. But no entertainment, redemption or "enjoyment".

It's supposed to create feelings of sickness and unpleasantness, personally the shite camera work - which is only stable for the infamous anal raping - and lack of plot did that for me anyway. Avoid irriversible at all costs, if you're twisted enough to want to watch realistic murders or rapes I'm sure you could find the real deal on the internet somewhere.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I think it's one of the best films ever made. Norton is a genius.

Have to agree, it's one great film. I love the bit where they're folding sheets and his co-worker starts ripping the piss out of the KKK.

do not read this if you don't want to know the ending of American history X

That scene near the end totally ruined the film for me.

The kid was holding paper in one hand, and continuity never noticed it had changed hands when they changed the camera angle - leading me to believe that it was a dream sequence - or that there would be an alternative ending, grrrr, I am still REALLY pissed off, it ruined an otherwise pretty good story .

People only called me a homosexual nazi on account of me wearing a swastica armband whilst bumming my chum - nae really a true story, but a bit cheerier than the homo nazis in the film, he he he, it was as miserable as hell, I prefer From Dusk till Dawn, the violence is a lot more comedic,especially the bass guitar made out of a torso, cheers Biz

Guest bluesxman

AHX is a great movie, Edward Norton is one of the best actors out there. Recently got hold of 25th Hour cheap on Play.com, thought it was also excellent, one of Spike Lee's best for sure. Red Dragon is enjoyable but after seeing Manhunter so often it was weird to see an updated version, it was good to see more from the book included though. And at least it isn't so 80's looking....

Personally I liked Irreversible, thought it was cleverly put together, the camerawork at times was irritating but added to the general disorientating experience of watching a film play the story backwards. The rape scene is another to add to the list of movie's that become controversial by including one - Death Wish, Straw Dogs, Clockwork Orange, etc, at least this one doesn't pull any punches in depicting it as a horrific experience, it's one scene in the movie, not the movie itself. But then I'm a bit of a fan of both Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci......

Personally I liked Irreversible, thought it was cleverly put together, the camerawork at times was irritating but added to the general disorientating experience of watching a film play the story backwards. The rape scene is another to add to the list of movie's that become controversial by including one - Death Wish, Straw Dogs, Clockwork Orange, etc, at least this one doesn't pull any punches in depicting it as a horrific experience, it's one scene in the movie, not the movie itself. But then I'm a bit of a fan of both Vincent Cassel and Monica Belluci......

Yeah, the director and the gorgeous Monica Bellucci are the main reasons i want to check out this film. I don't have a problem with violence or sexual violence in film as long as its not overly sensationalised and as long as its integral to the plot. And from what i've read about this film it is.