aberdeen-music

"Art punk"

Leckie Gilman

Taking Back Sunday are to Sunny Day Real Estate what Busted are to The Clash (sorry, TBS fans, "Cute without the 'e'" is catchy, but those guys strike me as being of dubious integrity), it's not really fare to write off some awsome bands because of some dubious modern ones.

As for Art Punk, I've heard the Icarus Line be labelled that, but I'm really not sure. I opened this thread to learn something, but instead I died a little inside and had to write this post through a mist of salty tears.

Yeah New Wave was roughly given to Joy Division, although bands like Television are put under that label too.

Art Punk to me is bands like Sonic Youth, as someone else said it originated in the 80's. It came from New York whether Sonic Youth originally played at some alternative venue (I forget the name). The owner of that venue gave the term to Sonic Youth.

Apparently a lot of the creative mediums mixed in NY and he believed that "Art" was the best conceptual name for the band. I think that's right, if memory serves me...

I'm afraid whoever says they're under this "label" might be a bit misguided. I've never reall known anyone to describe themselves as Art Punk, just their music.