aberdeen-music

"Art punk"

Leckie Gilman

I would say that Art Punk is a more experimental cousin of Noise Pop. Sonic Youth and Superchunk are a good example of the kind of middle-ground between Noise-Pop and Art Punk. I can't actually think of anyone I'd label as a solely Art Punk band though. I can't see how a person could label themselves as Art Punk though, it's much more of a musical style than a clothing/lifestyle.

And anyone who says they are Emo are definitelly NOT emo, almost everyone who claims to be Emo listens to bloody Dashboard Confessional and Taking Back Sunday, thats not Emo, that's just Pop-Rock with wee screams.

I had this conversation with someone a few days ago. Before I was misled into thinking emo was anything with loud guitars and screaming vocals, but the girl I was having the conversation with said it was more like the bands I like (Bright Eyes/Saves the Day/Get Up Kids) I suppose she's right in a way. What annoys me is the people who say they aren't emo, but are, JUST because it's become uncool to admit you're emo, whereas six months ago it was cool to be emo. Whatever. Still, I don't think it's a clothing/lifestyle thing, more of a music thing.

As for the art punk argument.. I'm still lost.

Art Punk, to me, is what happened with Nio Wave in NYC in 80 through 83. Bands like 8 Eyed Spy, MARRS, DNA, The Contortions, stuff like that is art punk. Alot of it is coming back. Ofcourse you always had your art punk such as Wire and predecessors such as Captain Beefheart. There's also the pre-punk almost art punk of Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle. It's weird to put the two together though because most people involved in the first wave of Punk hated bands like Wire and TG because they were either in Art School, from Art School, or were professional artists. This was extremely uncool because Art was associated with people like John Lennon, Genesis, King Crimson and other things, so Punk was supposed to be the music of every day working class youth. Of course if you look at the Talking Heads, who were all graduates of RISD (rhode island school of design.....an ace art school) were to my the perfect example of Art Punk

Newer Art punk bands to me would be this: Liars, Get Hustle, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Ex Models, Seconds, Coachwhips, Lightning Bolt, Pink and Brown, Les Savy Fav, other stuff like that......

Emo I'm not fond of at all......in fact I down right hate it because of it's terrible history and the fact that's it's pretty much the same homophobic sexist American dorks ripping off Fugazi or the first Sunny Day Real Estate album......only this time they pretend that they are sensitive and wear Cobain Cartigan sweaters and totally destroy the hearts of unsuspecting girls. To me they are nothing more than the new bad glam period like that of Winger and Night Ranger.

yeh...that

and the swell maps

and early cabaret voltaire who are scuzzing from me hifi right now (Sluggin fer Jesus 12")

the most art punk art punk was the Maps imo cos they seemed to do it best and first (1975)

bringing it back and making it hip with the kids for a school term (see Emo and Skate Punk in previous school terms) is totally pointless however and has more to do with marketing and a a lack of new ideas than where the original art punk styles were coming from

labelling and musical commodities should be shot in the head

if its not art, destroy it*

*repeats self........

Originally posted by betamax:

.....ahhh see, thats just more evidence that you dont have the remotest fucking clue what you are speaking about

Joy Division....new wave....good one!

and ive never branded real shocks Art Punk.....just the media twats looking for a label do that for us

fuckwit

This is where you come out with the usual bullshit "We're anti pop terrorists" or something. How anarchic, and arrogant.

I guess you being a prick online helps with the psuedo image?

Originally posted by eat your parents:

This is where you come out with the usual bullshit "We're anti pop terrorists" or something. How anarchic, and arrogant.

I guess you being a prick online helps with the psuedo image?

again you speak shit sir

the only person Ive heard come out with that shite actually left said band a long time ago

so erm, wrong again

you seem to know fuck all about fuck all really