aberdeen-music

How do u learn?

bryn

The way I learn is pretty unorthadox. I've never really bothered learning songs and solos and things, I just fuck about entirely and do speed excersises n stuff. Every now and agen i go on like a learning curve and buy magazines and practise like a bitch, but generally just spend (lots of) time 'rocking out' - to put it lamely...

what about anyone else?

:band:

Yeh I start playign abotu thinking of different riffs. I dont tend to learn songs on bass as cant be bothered learning very easy stuff that wont do me any good. I do occasionally get music book of an album such as rhcp or gnr and incubus(when i have the money!).

i muck around mostly. listening to folk and trying to recreate what they do etc. excersies are good, going up and down the fretboard, working with a metrinome. I try and work through my books too, like the rock school stuff, my victor wooten book and do some theory too. playing through the sailing the seas of cheese album is always good

What I've always done and will continue to do is write loads and loads of songs and listen to loads of really good quality music and as you keep writing and listening you discover techniques that you want to use in your own stuff. So I would go out and buy a book and learn this new technique. I found that this way as was always enjoying what I played and at the same time pushing myself to get better because you never want things you've written yourself to be shite. It was only later once I had developed a passion for playing that I went back and started learning some background theory which i could apply to the practical experience I had of just discovering shit for myself. It meant that no one taking tuition took me seriously at first because I didn'y kno what syncopation meant but it did mean that I was soloing and improvising in about 8 months and had manage to get enough enjoyment out of the guitar to be motivated to go and learn some theory that I knew would be useful to me instead of just blindly absorbing elitist shite. Originality Rocks. Fuck the Clones!

i'm self taught.

learned playing guitar from "Americana" by Offspring. continued to teach myself with other Offspring albums with the aid of internet tabs. eventually i recognised familiar shapes of chords and was able to figure stuff out myself. recently my playing has progressed by listening to Alkaline Trio and Blink-182.

YES! THAT'S RIGHT! I SAID BLINK-182!

I got really pissed off with a sort of sneering attitude from someone who shall go unnamed at playing stuff like Alkaline Trio or Misfits as it was 'simple' and 'there's no skill involved'. If it rocks it rocks and sometimes you just wanna play along with a new song without sitting for ten days working out a solo! Although there's always days for solos as well. In summation I think the best way to learn is to just try playing a bit of everything so you can gather skills from all genres and create world peace between genres! Huzzah! :D

Yeah, I agree too - sometimes people sneer at those who abstain from joining in fretboard wankery, but I guess that's just how some people are.

Haha, fuck them!

I don't mind people playing their technically demanding solos and stuff and they look quite impressive, I just don't like the people who throw it in your face and make you want to hurl your guitar at their cranium before slamming it onto their fingers and then stabbing them in the crotch with a screwdriver.

I just build on what I've learnt from my guitar teacher. I still don't know how to read standard notation for guitar, being a violinist for over 10 years I'm used to reading single notes and so it confused me, therefore I stick to tab. When it comes to playing in general, I usually play along to music for the majority of the time. I'll sometimes just sit with no music and doodle around on the clean channel and the reverb full, that's always fun. I rarely sit in front of a book to learn a song, I go by ear.

I'm a relative novice but when I learn something new, I try and find a method of using that sounds good so I understand what I'm learning actully DOES.

I don't bother with other peoples songs much, except they too can me smoothen my playing speed, etc.

I understand a little notation, but I can by no means read music, but I do like trying more complex rhythms than I'd set for myself occasionally.