aberdeen-music

Genesis are back....

PaulDW

Guest DustyDeviada
Surely an expansion to 20, 30 or even 100 is in order?

Fair doos, here's the original 10, feel free to add to it your own personal reasons for hating Phil Collins.

1. Playing both Live Aids and feeling very pleased with himself about it.

2. Playing all the instruments on the "Both Sides" album just to show off (even though he can't play guitar and his keyboard/guitar simulations were awful).

3. Miami Vice

4. "Discovering" world music about 15 years after Paul Simon and Peter Gabriel, and releasing a Graceland knock-off. On the plus side, that seemed to kill off his career, record sales wise, so it wasn't all bad.

5. Yes, we know you played the Artful Dodger in Oliver. Stop going on about it at every available opportunity in an attempt to paint yourself as a loveable, cockney, cheeky-chappie. Because you're not.

6. Tarzan, although it did lead to the hilarious post-awards reaction from South Park's Trey Parker & Matt Stone ("I can't believe we lost to Phil Collins") and subsequent ridicule in South Park

7. Dumping his wife by fax and shagging his childs interpreter

8. He, along with his Genesis cohorts (Gabriel excluded) bought a sizeable section of Mull. They allowed the planting of thousands of non indigenous pine trees that managed to turn the land into an acidy swamp that nothing could live off.

9. The lyrics to Another Day in Paradise

10. Buster

Oh, and you'll never believe what's happened!

http://phil.collins.swellserver.com/news/top_stories/auto80.php

;)

Yes, I remember seeing Jester's Ray Wilson live CD and being amazed that not only was he doing loads of Genesis hits from before he joined, but he was doing Peter Gabriel solo songs too!

And not a Stiltskin "reunion", apparently he is the only original member.

Yeah but on that CD he also cover Bob Dylan and various other singers. I saw him playing in the Edinburgh Festival this year and he only played 5 Genesis tracks out of a 2 and a half hour set, and 3 of them were ones he'd played on, he also played 'Land of Confusion' and 'Ripples', which were both great.

I think it's fair for Ray to make some cash out of Genesis especially considering the way he was treated by them.

Ray's solo career isnt doing too badly actually he's had a top 20 hit with Armin Van Buren in Europe in the past year or so and he plays big gigs on mainland Europe, it's just the UK where he doesnt, and een then apparently he did a pretty much sold out tour of 500 capacity venues in the UK this year, which is more than a lot of the 'cool' bands mentioned on here do.

The new Stiltskin album is great and there are 2 of the original members involved in recording the album, as his keyboard player Irvine Duguid also played on the original Stiltskin album. I was surprised at how good the Stiltskin album is and I'd rate it above anything Genesis did including Calling all Stations - http://www.myspace.com/stiltskin2006 It also includes ther rather phenomenal drummer Nir Z who makes everything sound good :p.

Thing is Stiltskin was a band of session musicians put together by Peter Lawlor anyway they werent a band that had toured etc for a long time they were put together for one project then disbanded, now Ray's bought the name and enjoying himself.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
Yeah but on that CD he also cover Bob Dylan and various other singers. I saw him playing in the Edinburgh Festival this year and he only played 5 Genesis tracks out of a 2 and a half hour set, and 3 of them were ones he'd played on, he also played 'Land of Confusion' and 'Ripples', which were both great.

Yes, but you're forgetting to mention the flyer we picked up in Motherwell, for the "Ray Wilson sings Genesis" tour. ;)

But yeah, good luck to him, if you had been in Genesis even for a short length of time of course you're going to try to make a few quid out of it.

Guest DustyDeviada

I guess it's his general smug, pretentious nature. Personally I like him, I think The Police had some great singles and Sting had some good solo stuff too.

And of course his involvement in the classic that is Money for Nothing seals it.

Yes, but you're forgetting to mention the flyer we picked up in Motherwell, for the "Ray Wilson sings Genesis" tour. ;)

But yeah, good luck to him, if you had been in Genesis even for a short length of time of course you're going to try to make a few quid out of it.

I akse d him about that after Edinburgh, apparently it was the only way a UK promoter would give him a tour, as he isnt known as anything else really and his solo stuff is miles away from Stiltskin then it was the only way any promoter was willing to put him on. Hopefuilly having done well as a solo act with the tour he might get gigs off his own back now. He'd quite like to get away from that tag, but realises it's where a lot of his fans come from so he has to be carefull nott o bite the hand that feeds him.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest DustyDeviada
one night i shared my bed with the drummer from stilskin and a girl a worked with. we were all very drunk, then i fell asleep and she tossed him off. true story.

/x

Yeah right, it was her. ;)

Genesis were a cunt load more successful with Collins as frontman than with Gabriel, and the songs were miles better too. I wouldn't miss Genesis for the world :)

they may have been more sucessful with collins as the frontman but they werent as good! selling records means jack shit!