aberdeen-music

Aberdeen University or RGU?

Guest NULL

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither, come down to Glasgow.

i agree, one of the universities in glasgow will have a better dept than aberdeen (though there may be excpetions, i only really know about the enginerring point of view)

Only degree related employment is counted towards that statistic. Although perhaps you did an hotel and bar management degree or something...

You sure about that? Because one of my friends (well Neil, who you kinda know) got a first class from RGU, but it was a lot longer than three months before he got a degree-related job, though his subsequent career development is very impressive...

As for myself, I went to Aberdeen, did Philosophy, oh what memories... I wouldn't have changed that for the chance of a job straight after, not least because I had no idea what the hell I wanted to do. In fact, I still don't...

You sure about that? Because one of my friends (well Neil, who you kinda know) got a first class from RGU, but it was a lot longer than three months before he got a degree-related job, though his subsequent career development is very impressive...

I'm fairly sure. I'll see if I can find it written down anywhere on the RGU intranet.

Also the statistics aren't for jobs after 3 months. I believe it's degree related employment in the first 2 years after leaving or something. 3 months is a ridiculously short period of time to monitor.

From the Sunday Times uni guide pages:

Graduate prospects: the percentage of a university’s UK graduates in “graduate” employment or further study, from HESA data for 2003-04. Only occupations that normally need a degree were included.

So it's only graduate level jobs that require a degree which are included.

i know, rugby's for poofs but don't let that stop you making the switch ;)

/x

AF - PLay - stop - stop - Timeout - play - stop - stop - stop - Timeout - switch a player - stop - play - switch player back out - stop - stop - play

Rugby - Play - Play - stop - play - play - stop - kick - play - play

Rugby is a lot more fun

AF - Play - stop - play - Someone gets hospitalised - stop - play - stop - Timeout - switch a player - stop - play - switch player back out - stop - play - helmet on helmet collision - stop for ambulance

Rugby - Play - Play - stop - play - play - stop - kick - play - play - suck team member off as initiation drill - play - play - trombone scrum half in the showers - play - play - drink a pint of piss 'for a laugh'

Rugby is for poofs

damn straight!

/x

Out of interest I just found this on the Aberdeen Uni website. The link if anyone else wants a read.

The finalists for The Times Higher awards 2006 are:

Higher Education Institution of the Year

* Aberdeen University

* Kent University

* Leeds Metropolitan University

* Leicester University

* Nottingham University

One of those better win! And where can we buy them?

Sorry for quoting myself but it's just occurred to me that an "invisible cloak" could just be whatever the researcher said it was. It's invisible!

"Invisible Cloak sir? Why of course sir, that'll be £2999 please"

"But where is it?"

"You're already wearing it sir, I put it upon your shoulders a few minutes ago. You just can't see it because it's invisible. It is an invisible cloak after all"

"Ahh, excellent. Here's your money"

Guest onlynik
Still doesn't get away from the fact that RGU have one of the highest straight to employment success rates, which was kind of where my post was aimed at.

I Don't really care who signed my degree to be honest.....mickey mouse or pluto. As I said before I went to uni with the intention of getting a specific job when I graduated.

BTW If you failed all your exams you must have spent a year or two doing some type of HNC/HND access course, to get into a relative degree course. Nay quite being snapped up is it?

You're right though student life is grand. If I wasn't so skint all the time I wouldn't of got a job in a bar and met my future wife....I think mickey mouse also signed her degree, he'll sign anything the mug.

Nope didn't have to do an access course went straight into the HND/BSc electric and electronic engineering course. So yeah, snapped me up. As for graduate employment, you have to look at the courses RGU runs, I dated a girl years ago who did a BA in Travel and Tourism, and managed to get a job being paid minimum wage at Thomas Cook, so the statistics don't really tell you the reality of the job market. Also you'll find its not really what you know its who you know, my last 4 jobs over the last 6 years have been through people I know rather than replying to ads in the paper.

I dated a girl years ago who did a BA in Travel and Tourism, and managed to get a job being paid minimum wage at Thomas Cook, so the statistics don't really tell you the reality of the job market.

Only graduate level jobs that normally require a degree are included in the statistics. So unless you need a degree to sell holidays and change money for minimum wage at a travel agents, I don't think her job will have been counted in the stats.

Mind you I've never worked in a travel agents. Maybe all the orange skinned people I see behind the counters have 1st class honours.

Guest onlynik
Only graduate level jobs that normally require a degree are included in the statistics. So unless you need a degree to sell holidays and change money for minimum wage at a travel agents, I don't think her job will have been counted in the stats.

Mind you I've never worked in a travel agents. Maybe all the orange skinned people I see behind the counters have 1st class honours.

Christ knows, but she had to fill in some form for the Uni stating she'd got a job. Doesn't make a difference to me, I never got a degree anyway. :(

I went to RGU, got my honours degree, and now work in a shop.

Although that is just a stop gap.

I did go to Art School and there are fuck all related jobs up here in my field. Which is why I am moving.

I always resented being at RGU doing the course I was doing as the rest of the university is totally geared towards money and jobs and employment and selling, I wasnt there for any of that, I was there to expand my knowledge and further my development as an artist, which many people ridicule and slag because of the "How are you going to get a job with that" approach, Which was actually the stance of RGU towards Grays.

Saying that Grays is currently the second highest rated Art School in Scotland and third in Britain. Which, kinda ballses up the arguement that every course in Glasgow and Edinburgh is better than its equivalent in Aberdeen.

For your own personal case, I dont have a clue I'm afraid. Know nothing about IT Courses but RGU does have a pretty stong computing department apparently, but dont know about Aberdeen.

The computing department is a pain in the arse for getting access to their "elite" computing labs. If you have to use them and are at another school (currently studying under the school of engineering) you need to get a seperate log in name for the "campus wide" roaming profiles.

me... edgy? what?....

ruddy students.

i just like saying that. *insert negative adjective* students. go wherever you like. its all us folks with the jobs that'll be paying for it. but then you can dull that guilt with all the beers you'll buy with our money. (lucky bastards) :up:

What about the students that actually have jobs during term and have to pay taxes and such like?? Why the hell do people assume that just because your a student your not paying your way? Take a trip to the tax office at Ruby House, look at some of the posters and see if you spot the big one saying "Just because you are a student, it doesn't mean you don't have to pay taxes!!" (may not be worded that way).

Sorry for quoting myself but it's just occurred to me that an "invisible cloak" could just be whatever the researcher said it was. It's invisible!

"Invisible Cloak sir? Why of course sir, that'll be 2999 please"

"But where is it?"

"You're already wearing it sir, I put it upon your shoulders a few minutes ago. You just can't see it because it's invisible. It is an invisible cloak after all"

see here

"Invisible Cloak sir? Why of course sir, that'll be 2999 please"

"But where is it?"

Have started new thread on this.

The computing department is a pain in the arse for getting access to their "elite" computing labs.

That's probably because they're reserved for computing students who need the software installed on the machines in those labs. If they can't get a machine because someone from another school is on I imagine they'd be quite upset.

But I can see how it'd be frustrating if you're doing a subject with some crossover and you need access to those labs as well.

Thanks for the link, I knew what the cloak really was (read an article on The Register about it this week), but without a context it was amusing to think of it as the emperor's new clothes.