aberdeen-music

Charity Metal Night!

black_matter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick thank you to all involved, all the bands that played are great and i wouldn't hesitate to play another gig with you guys! :up:

350 was raised in total and will be going to the stroke unit at aberdeen royal infirmary.

Highlights of the night

rapunzel the wizard at the open mic

Hog's john peeling

the sound guy ?(

the crowd!

:up: There was a sound guy?!

Things I noticed at the gig:

Stage monitors weren't happening (well, mine wasn't).

Ascension were - very unfortunately - terribly EQ'd (dunno if it was what the amps were set at or the sound guy again, how was your onstage sound guys?) and so the guitars were horribly scooped sounding.

Gregor from Ascension was inaudible for 95% of the set unfortunately.

The sound guy didn't completely turn off the Dimmu Borgir CD when Abdysma played so it still came through in between their tracks.

Hog forgot Neonfluxicide :laughing:

Glad you got a reasonable amount out of it though Austin

i swear to god , if i hadnt been feeling so ill i wudda bitchslapped that mutherfucking sound guy back to college! he was TERRIBLE!!! i dont think i want to play tunnels again until they get someone else. we played there so often that jenny knew exactly what settings we need, this guy....was atrocious, we asked for gregor to be turned up a little, and he cranked it up about 4 notches, drums were quiet as hell, i couldnt here a dam thing. euch, terrible! i beleive all the bands suffered due to lack of the sound guys experience

btw, sound guy, if your reading this. im sure its just lack of experience with the tunnels set up (lol)

anyways, it was for charity, and the money was raised, and thats what mostly matters

:up: There was a sound guy?!

Things I noticed at the gig:

Stage monitors weren't happening (well, mine wasn't).

Ascension were - very unfortunately - terribly EQ'd (dunno if it was what the amps were set at or the sound guy again, how was your onstage sound guys?) and so the guitars were horribly scooped sounding.

Gregor from Ascension was inaudible for 95% of the set unfortunately.

The sound guy didn't completely turn off the Dimmu Borgir CD when Abdysma played so it still came through in between their tracks.

Hog forgot Neonfluxicide :laughing:

Glad you got a reasonable amount out of it though Austin

I didnt forget Neonflucixide, a) my voice is fucked b) Jake and Scorge were making me laugh all the way through that song, Scorge even took his whanger out!:up:

a wee review of the bands I got to see:

phiph: hmm.. ok. they seemed unsure as to what kind of music they wanted to play. I think I remember a couple of songs being thrash-y in parts, but some were grungy-rock. their cover of toxicity was, to be honest, pretty awful.

and

ascension: surprised you guys didn't kill the soundman, I couldn't hear the bass at all and Gregor was out for most of the set. actually, most times I've seen bands at the tunnels, the guitar on the left of the stage is always quieter than the one on the right/middle.

i swear to god , if i hadnt been feeling so ill i wudda bitchslapped that mutherfucking sound guy back to college! he was TERRIBLE!!! i dont think i want to play tunnels again until they get someone else. we played there so often that jenny knew exactly what settings we need, this guy....was atrocious, we asked for gregor to be turned up a little, and he cranked it up about 4 notches, drums were quiet as hell, i couldnt here a dam thing. euch, terrible! i beleive all the bands suffered due to lack of the sound guys experience

btw, sound guy, if your reading this. im sure its just lack of experience with the tunnels set up (lol)

anyways, it was for charity, and the money was raised, and thats what mostly matters

Tony from E106 explained it that they have a pretty beaten up soundboard at the tunnels and Jenny knew what worked and didn't, so this new guy not only had to figure out what worked and didn't but he had to soundcheck these bands. So with benefit of the doubt i'd give him some slack for that, however the guy was no treat to speak to.

Shit review:

Phiph: Was still in Asda when this lot went on, however I overheard some comments along the lines of 'fuckin' waaaaaaaash', so lucky escape.

Black Matter: Can't remember much! Was busy enjoying my first two deliveries of the evening,..

Ascension: Affa strange watching an old band, kind of like watching your ex girlfriend eating a mince pie. Surprisingly little has changed: sound FOH was waaash, vocals on 'Hannibal' were horrible, all the drum lines have been watered down with all the trick bits taken out, and yet still frequently fell anywhere between 1/8th and 1/12th out of time. This prompted a wide grin.

Absyma: Crap choice of covers, crap songs, crap banter, etc......

E106: Much chortling. Good at dealing with hecklers.

All in a good cause, etc......

yeh we might have been "fuckin' waaaash" , but it was our first ever gig, theres still a lot of time to progress.

and toxicity, we just play it faster than it was recorded and thats how it is. the clean guitar was a bit too trebly and bright though.

we had a good night, black matter were good and well ascension....couldnt hear bass and the vocals were dominating the sound. guitar was awesome though.

then due to public transport times, we had to leave at 10, gutted we didnt stay for e106, sounded awesome during soundcheck.

Naked Dave

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Got there just as Ascension were about to start, and a horrible high-pitched scream almost shattered my fucking pint glass. Christ, cut those out please! The sound was indeed pretty bad for them, but you can tell the two guitarists are very accomplished and know what they're doing. The drums sounded a bit off, and the poor bassist might as well have got pissed up at the bar with us for all we heard of him.

Abdysma - Covered Franz Ferdinand, so I've already wasted enough words on them. Not impressed.

E106 - By the time they came on, the place was empty so I assumed all the brats had fucked off. But no! Most of them were hanging around outside, not even smoking. What the fuck was that all about? Fucking ignorant, that was. Still, put Baldy off beautifully during "Neonfluxiciyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyiyde", so job done.

Good to know that £350 was raised, that's the main thing.