aberdeen-music

The Needles - Dianne

Guest MKII

Guest MKII

I noticed they got a review in this months Record Collector...

The Needles

Dianne - Dangerous (cd/7")

We liked The Needles when they lent us a single, and we like them still. This is their tribute to all the singers of the past who have inspired them to put up with life's challenges. 'From Kurt Cobain to Jack White' (OK, their scope is fairly small).

The feel is, for want of a better term - chirpy - there's something of the sparrow's call about the track, part new wave, part pop, part throwaway, but shot through with enough of that oh-so-current guitar scratching and scraping to make it 'now'. We're just not sure about the disposable spangly synth solo though.

Ali MacQueen

"This is their tribute to all the singers of the past who have inspired them to put up with life's challenges. 'From Kurt Cobain to Jack White'"

not sucha good role model then...seeing as he topped himself cos he couldn't cope with life's challanges!

I'm pretty sure it was Frank Turner from Million Dead that did the review, so you can hold judgement on it. But, it said..

"Next, we've got Needles, 'Diane', which gets four; it gets minus points for nicking a title off Husker Du, and it gets further minus points for its press release referring to it as 'future retroism', which is also known as rehashing old ideas, and it also gets no points for sounding exactly like the Buzzcocks."

I'm pretty sure it was Frank Turner from Million Dead that did the review' date=' so you can hold judgement on it. But, it said..

"Next, we've got Needles, 'Diane', which gets four; it gets minus points for nicking a title off Husker Du, and it gets further minus points for its press release referring to it as 'future retroism', which is also known as rehashing old ideas, and it also gets no points for sounding exactly like the Buzzcocks."[/quote']

There a strange bunch at rock sounds cuz if you see this months issue (july) there giving the band much love!

Got the cutting but no idea how to post it to prove there split personality disorder.

A strange coincidence; a few years ago' date=' the Needles were compared unfavourably to Neds Atomic Dustbin in a review on the (usually reliable) Planet Sound on Teletext. Now look where they are, riding a whole two places above them in the charts! :)

It's a shame that so many England World Cup songs are in the charts this week, otherwise their placing would have been more impressive.

As for Frank Turner's review, I think it's pretty obvious that he's on a different page from where the Needles are coming from musically, so I wouldnt read too much into it.

(They sound nothing like the Buzzcocks, though...and Dianne is more likely to have been influenced by Dion DiMucci than Fugazi)[/quote']

Aye Frank Turner very much likes his old school emo.

The single deserves to be at the top of the charts.

So there's probably no point in me asking who Frank Turner is or what Million Dead are- I imagine I wouldn't be interested in the answer?

The word shit says it all, you need not know anymore.

8)