aberdeen-music

World Cinema

Hog

Happiness of the Katakuris

I was going to buy that the other day...is it any good?

(if you don't know, it's a zombie film, with a bouncing ball sing along sound track, kind of day of the dead meets the sound of music)...

looks hilarious...

City of God is one of the best films I've ever seen. Totally engaging. Goodbye Lenin is a good story too.

Can't add anything other than Taxi 1 & 2 if you want a light hearted French caper with the hottest actress ever (Marion Cottilard)

(if you don't know' date=' it's a zombie film, with a bouncing ball sing along sound track, kind of day of the dead meets the sound of music)...

looks hilarious...[/quote']

I think it's great, but the zombie element is oversold - It's essentially just one scene / song. This film is worth it for the introductory few minutes alone, but the rest of the movie is quality black comedy, especially Richard Sagawa.

(if you don't know' date=' it's a zombie film, with a bouncing ball sing along sound track, kind of day of the dead meets the sound of music)...

looks hilarious...[/quote']

I bought it a while back but hadn't had a chance to watch it until last night.

Haven't laughed so much at a film in a long, long time.

Best thing since Shaolin Soccer!

I think I managed to pick it up in Virgin for about 7

'M' is brilliant, and if you're into the German Expressionist cinema, then 'Metropolis' is well worth a view as well.

Ong-Bak

Battle Royale

Love Me If You Dare - if you liked Amelie you'll love this one

Shoot The Piano Player - can't go wrong with Truffuat

Y Tu Mama Tambien

The Killer/Hardboiled - not so much gory shock as action cinema the way it's meant to be.

'M' is brilliant' date=' and if you're into the German Expressionist cinema, then 'Metropolis' is well worth a view as well. [/quote']

I found Metropolis a bit hard going.

The bit at the start with them all marching in unison to and from the lifts looks amazing. If I was a jew-hating, megalomaniacal dictator, I could take some inspiration from that film I tells ya...

But yes, M is excellent.

OK-

Man Bites Dog- Holy shit! One funny film, completely OTT. Loved it.

The Circle- I also enjoyed it. It is good to watch a film in an interesting setting i.e. not the UK, US, OZ etc etc (It was set in Iran). The scene where the lady was trying to get rid of her kid was profound.

Guest bluesxman

Ha, not watched Man Bites Dog in ages, it's pretty good.

Another Asian one I like is The Isle, not a blood fest at all although there are a couple of gruesome-ish bits....

Another Asian one I like is The Isle' date=' not a blood fest at all although there are a couple of gruesome-ish bits....[/quote']

It reminded me of one of the old horrors (70's / 80's low budget) where nothing really happens and the film is almost completely sold on one scene. I'd be gutted if i paid the full Tartan price tag. Was the chick supposed to be amphibious or something?

Guest bluesxman
It reminded me of one of the old horrors (70's / 80's low budget) where nothing really happens and the film is almost completely sold on one scene. I'd be gutted if i paid the full Tartan price tag. Was the chick supposed to be amphibious or something?

Don't think so. I got it off CD Wow for 3.99. I rarely pay retail prices for DVD's, usually wait until they are on sale or off internet, aren't many things I am willing to pay 20 quid for, no matter what the film.

It's got far better production than old low budget horrors, but yeah it's quite a slow movie if not in the right mood.