aberdeen-music

arcade fire?

black_matter

I like the way they stick in violins and xylophones as an actual instrument as opposed to just for novelty value, and the fact that their songs are all over the place, they're probably one of the most creative bands for a while

I like the singers voice aswell, it's unrestrained and he misses notes and his voice shakes all over the place. Works well IMO. Wake Up is a fantastic tune aswell, with all the choir-esque "aah's".

i was wondering are they a relatively new band because i saw them play wake up live on youtube and i thought that's an awesome achievement to play with david bowie if there a new band.

They have been around for a few years, but only got famous here in the past 18 months. They're released an ep and funeral, which I think was released in America a couple years ago.

:up:

Arcade Fire are brilliant' date=' but Broken Social Scene are better, 'You Forgot It In People' is a stone cold classic.[/quote']

i agree, that is a great record...but although they are in the same street (musically), there's quite a difference between the two...

Guest Phantomsmasher

Bought Funeral a few days ago, think it's a great record. Inventive, dark and really interesting to listen to, while keeping the sound fairly catchy.

i think the arcade fire are a band who are great at what they do and can't really be criticised. ain't never heard anybody cover a talking heads song like them and i won't accept some criticism from somebody who likes kylie minogue or heavy metal because it's not their field. how's that for a slice of justice? i like kylie minogue and heavy metal, actually. just not as much. just can't be fecked with people discussing something like this.

Guest Phantomsmasher
i think the arcade fire are a band who are great at what they do and can't really be criticised. ain't never heard anybody cover a talking heads song like them and i won't accept some criticism from somebody who likes kylie minogue or heavy metal because it's not their field. how's that for a slice of justice? i like kylie minogue and heavy metal' date=' actually. just not as much. just can't be fecked with people discussing something like this.[/quote']

Honestly Keiran, you talk a heap of crap somtimes.

i may be wrong but i think the violinist from arcade fire does a solo thing where he/she plays and records it and the plays it back and plays another level over the top etc.

anyone know what i am on about?

Their male violinist, Owen Pallett, is Final Fantasy. His first album, Has A Good Home, is out on Tomlab. He supported them on their tour last year, and live he plays solo, looping layers of violin and vocals up to create the full song. Quite good fun live, and a good album too!