aberdeen-music

so...NEMIS

stuartmaxwell

NEMIS

is it a great resource? has it helped your band go places?

or

is it a total wastee of funding, effectively giving a guy a salary to do what people have been doing for free for years?

----------------

i have been thinking about this recently with all of these "save nemis" gigs and all of that.

it seems to me like its a big pile of sour grapes on alec downies front, he has had funding for a few years and never had any kind of structure in place to have bring in cash..now he is greetin because he has had his funding taken away. the way i see it, this funding is like a starter kit for somebody wanting to do something/improve the scottish music scene.

i am of the belief that NEMIS stands for nothing, and its merely a salary for one guy to post nonsense on the internet and schmooze at industry events.

discuss....

i hope to god someone proves me wrogn on this front

i think up here nemis has been conspicuous in it's absence. although i know there are a few nemis members up here i'm pretty sure the majority of the music scene in aberdeen has never heard of it or has no idea what it does.

i don't think it'll make a huge difference to the majority of people involved in the music industry in scotland if nemis disappeared. however that's not to say they may have helped raise the profile of certain scottish acts during the course of their existence. i mean they must have done something during the last ten years right?

ach, i don't know if i really know enough about the organisation to comment to be honest. i think you'll probably end up with a livlier thread if you started it on the jockrock forums :)

I've met Alec a few times, first time was pre-Nemis when he organised the Frankie Miller Tribute gig/album, and I know he left a well paid BBC job to go and do NEMIS. I think NEMIS is a good thing, I think that you're right most people up here havent heard of NEMIS but how many acts up here are members of PRS. You cant force people to use a good resource. I've been at a few NEMIS showcases etc and met a few people and made good contacts. It's true that people could possibly do what NEMIS does but if theres someone to do it for you it means that bands have more time to concentrate on the music etc. Looking at the NEMIS site now theres some contacts/info on there that could certainly help a band and thats a good thing.

I'm possibly bias because I like Alec but I think the resource is a good one, the music scene wouldnt die without it, but I think its better because of it.

Cheers

Stuart

I get emails from NEMIS on a very regular basis, at least once a day on average.

There's some useful stuff, for instance today there's a list of small venues (with contact details) from all over Britain and Ireland. Not anything you probably couldn't do yourself, but it would take you ages to get all those contacts.

Since I've no idea how much funding they used to get, I can't comment on wether it's worth it or not.

My understanding is that Alec is keeping certain elements of NEMIS going on a voluntary basis and because it is a usefull, if you choose to use as such, source of information and he is therefore, like many, giving his time for something he believes in.

There is a great deal of info on the site that can only be helpfull if used!

However, developing, sustaining and providing such a service may prove tricky if it is the rock n roll life style you are after? A certain amount of boring and professional chores will be required in order to benefit any artistic community and if these don't sit comfortably with your chosen lifestyle then conflict will arise. I am in no way suggesting that the latter is Alec's way of working but questions, never the less, have arisen. I will be one of the first advocates of funding not being spent on something that has served its purpose and where everyone may have gained as much as they require , at that point in time, and moved on.

Is that not a job done?

I get emails from NEMIS on a very regular basis' date=' at least once a day on average.

There's some useful stuff, for instance today there's a list of small venues (with contact details) from all over Britain and Ireland. Not anything you probably couldn't do yourself, but it would take you ages to get all those contacts.

Since I've no idea how much funding they used to get, I can't comment on wether it's worth it or not.[/quote']

I would say that any funding has been well spent! Continued, large, support is a contentious issue.

Alec is great guy and lives/loves the life(style). Can't knock his commitment.