aberdeen-music

Hows this sounding?

Hog

*removed link*

Just a wee sample of new Element stuff (without vocals). I think the guitars are slightly quiet. Suppose this should be on the feedback forum but Im not really after opinions on if its a shite song or not (yes you Maxi). More on if it needs compression, mastering things etc.

Cheers

Hog

Yeah more drive is needed with the guitars. Kool riff on 47 seconds' date=' did Jamesy write that one?[/quote']

Nope, I wrote it the majority of the song but James (or Jimmer as he is now as hehe) has come out with some awesome riffs for future tunes.

Ok, more guitar, good stuff.:up:

It's difficult to judge a mix at 96kbps, but initial impression is that there is too much emphasis on the bottom end making it sound a bit muddy. The snare sounds a little lifeless but I think it could just be because it's a bit swamped by the bass, probably could do with being a touch louder. I'm not sayin anything about the hats cuz at 96kbps they always get minced.

For quick comparisons get a professionally expensively produced song of a similar nature and switch back and forth between that and your recording as they play to listen for the differences in levels and so on.

What kind of compression have you used?

Guest Gasss

I think the guitars are loud enough but they don't cut throught the mix well. They also sound too similar. You could EQ them so the lead guitar has more mid than the rhythm. A HPF sometimes helps to clear up muddiness as well.

The whole thing sounds pretty good, especially the drum sound.

Cool, thanks for all your input.

I definately think the cymbals should be taken down a bit. I only used compression on the toms and a bit on the snare. I certainly want to get the guitars standing out a bit more (without boosting the volume too much)

Compression was just the adobe audition thingy but I have Wave Sapphire stuff but if anyone knows decent vst's or stuff to help shape the sound, feel free to post your thoughts.

Cheers

Hog

Guest Gasss
Cool' date=' thanks for all your input.

I definately think the cymbals should be taken down a bit. I only used compression on the toms and a bit on the snare. I certainly want to get the guitars standing out a bit more (without boosting the volume too much)

Compression was just the adobe audition thingy but I have Wave Sapphire stuff but if anyone knows decent vst's or stuff to help shape the sound, feel free to post your thoughts.

Cheers

Hog[/quote']

I read in Sound on Sound that using a loudness maximiser can bring out the snare and toms more than compression. Same for vocals. I agree about the cymbals. I sometimes use a short reverb (usually a small room convolution preset) on drum overheads. It helps to push the the cymbals back in the mix and gives the kit more space without sacrificing detail.

I read in Sound on Sound that using a loudness maximiser can bring out the snare and toms more than compression. Same for vocals.

ARGH! Maximisers/Limiters are evil evil things unless you really know what you are doing. There are 3 approaches, in this order:

1. Get the levels right before you use any effects.

2. Use EQ to make fine adjustments to the sound of each channel IF NEEDED. For example, use a tiny low Q cut around 500hz to remove mud from a clunky snare sound.

3. Use compression to bring percussive life back into drums which don't have quite the pop or punch that you want. For example, short attack, medium release, low threshold and low ratio. The key with compression is subtlety, and only use it if you really need to. Needlesly using compression everywhere increases dynamic range of a sound and can make it difficult to acheive a reasonably loud mix that doesn't distort. Don't use a compressor to make things "louder".

If you have a good recording in the first place, adjusting levels and using very subtle EQ may be all you need to do. Avoid the temptation to use plugins just because they are installed.

I think the guitars are loud enough but they don't cut throught the mix well. They also sound too similar. You could EQ them so the lead guitar has more mid than the rhythm..

Hog's amp is poopered so we were just using my Mesa for both. We didn't alter the EQ for either guitar as the sound of the guitars rather than the amp are different - maybe it isn't too apparent on the recording but it is clearly noticeable otherwise - and together they just created a nice wall of sound. Maybe screw around with settings a bit more next time though: Might even have 2 different amps to use! :up:

I would use all the waves plug ins.

This is an example of a song recorded and masterd using waves.

The more you get into this though the more you need to know.

Have a look at this

http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM04/Content/Waves/PR/Prod-Mixing-Mastering.html

This is available to download at

http://www.audionews.ru/signup.php

This gives you whole songs recorded and mixed.

Just open a song into sonar 5, cubase or pro logic.

Everything opens up in different tracks as if you recorded the whole band.

All the settings are in place for the master mix using waves plugins.

You can learn by them and remaster the song trying out different plugins.

Or you can use the setting to save as template and add your own recordings.

This would put in place the waves plug ins so that you just have to play about with them to master your own songs.