aberdeen-music

BT Broadband help

WoodyRATM

hey i got a slight prob with my net.

we got a wireless router etc and can gain access using said router on the laptop (doin it wireless) but when i try connecting to the actual computer the router is hooked up to, the computer says it has limited or no connectivity. The supposed reason is cant renew my ip address.

Anyone got an idea to fix it?

or the bt broadband tech support number (since the 1 on the site has nowt to do with broadband:down: )

cheers

0845 600 7030, When the IVR asks if you wish to talk about the phone you are calling from select option 2 to say you want to discuss another phone number. Then when it asks you to enter the number you are calling about press the star button instead. It will then give you three other options. The first is broadband tech support.

I work for BT...:down:

Have you tried pinging the router itself? do the same as for renewing the ip config, but type ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router ip is, if your not sure on the laptop open the command window and type "ipconfig /all"), that should give you the gateway address which will be your router. If you can connect to the router it's a problem with a setting on the router, if not it may be the card or a setting on your pc.

If you can connect to the router, check the documentation for the router for help or enter the make and model of router in google and look at some sites it throws up.

It may also be possible that your firewall (if you have one installed) is blocking the router, or windows stupid firewall is active on the connection, if you have your own firewall check the help files to configure access, if windows turn it off, as it's bloody useless.

Also go into the properties of the connection (control panel > network connections > right click necessary connection > properties) double click on internet protocol (tcp/ip), check to make sure that Obtain IP address automatically and the obtain DNS server address automatically is selected then come out of it.

Failing all that run the setting up a home or small office network again.

I think that about covers everything i can think of, although i'm sure someone will be along to tell you not to bother with half of what i've said, but having been in the same situation many times i have found one of those solutions will work.

Have you tried pinging the router itself? do the same as for renewing the ip config' date=' but type ping 192.168.1.1 (or whatever your router ip is, if your not sure on the laptop open the command window and type "ipconfig /all"), that should give you the gateway address which will be your router. If you can connect to the router it's a problem with a setting on the router, if not it may be the card or a setting on your pc.

If you can connect to the router, check the documentation for the router for help or enter the make and model of router in google and look at some sites it throws up.

It may also be possible that your firewall (if you have one installed) is blocking the router, or windows stupid firewall is active on the connection, if you have your own firewall check the help files to configure access, if windows turn it off, as it's bloody useless.

Also go into the properties of the connection (control panel > network connections > right click necessary connection > properties) double click on internet protocol (tcp/ip), check to make sure that Obtain IP address automatically and the obtain DNS server address automatically is selected then come out of it.

Failing all that run the setting up a home or small office network again.

I think that about covers everything i can think of, although i'm sure someone will be along to tell you not to bother with half of what i've said, but having been in the same situation many times i have found one of those solutions will work.[/quote']

im presuming the gateway for the router is the default gateway. which aint there? o_O

hey i got a slight prob with my net.

we got a wireless router etc and can gain access using said router on the laptop (doin it wireless) but when i try connecting to the actual computer the router is hooked up to' date=' the computer says it has limited or no connectivity. The supposed reason is cant renew my ip address.

Anyone got an idea to fix it?

or the bt broadband tech support number (since the 1 on the site has nowt to do with broadband:down: )

cheers[/quote']

I had such a fucking hassle setting one of those things up. I feel your pain.

hey ive managed to fix it' date=' i simply restored my computer back 4 weeks o_O cheers for the help :)

it was a bt voyager 2091[/quote']

I've also got a stupid problem with the same router. I installed it ok, but when ever I install something else, even the anti virus update, I loose broadband when I reboot.

I often have to restore my computer just to get it back.

Any ideas IT boffins? I've uninstalled it and re-installed everything, but that didn't solve it. Sometimes pulling out the usb a couple of times makes it appear.

It is soo annoying. If I wasn't a calmer person, I'd take my axe to the whole damn lot.

pete

inthehills.

I've also got a stupid problem with the same router. I installed it ok' date=' but when ever I install something else, even the anti virus update, I loose broadband when I reboot.

Any ideas IT boffins? I've uninstalled it and re-installed everything, but that didn't solve it. Sometimes pulling out the usb a couple of times makes it appear.

It is soo annoying. If I wasn't a calmer person, I'd take my axe to the whole damn lot.

pete

inthehills.[/quote']

If its a USB trouble you could always use the ethernet :)

the wife's computer is hooked up to that' date=' so I've got fix this damn usb thingy.

pete

inthehills[/quote']

ah right. what about getting a wireless adaptor for your wifes? then use the wireless for hers, and use the ethernet net for yours.

could also be your usb is screwed up? might want to try another port or a usb hub?

I've also got a stupid problem with the same router. I installed it ok' date=' but when ever I install something else, even the anti virus update, I loose broadband when I reboot.

pete

inthehills.[/quote']

Having searched to find out more about this router the two bits of advice i can give are:

1) try updating the firmware

2) buy a decent router and sell it on ebay or use as a door stop.

2) buy a decent router and sell it on ebay or use as a door stop.

I agree. I had a BT voyager router for a month and had intermittent problems like the one described, then it gave up entirely on the wireless after a month. I exchanged it for a linksys router and haven't had a single problem since, 12 months later.

It could just be coincedence but...