aberdeen-music

The Aberdeen audiences

black_matter

Mmm' date=' makes sense, thinking back to my first few gigs. I'm pretty sure I wasn't even aware of smaller gigs until I was in a band myself.

Which is one of the reasons for the Granite City Guide's existence.

Couldn't resist the plug.

Ian You are 100% right.....!! my first gig was Deep Purple at the music hall, the music hall was the biggest venue putting on bands at the time and at the age of 14 I had no idea there were bands playing their own stuff, in fact, I dont think there were that many, covers were the order of the day back in the dark ages when I had hair and a waistline.

G...

Ian You are 100% right.....!! my first gig was Deep Purple at the music hall' date=' the music hall was the biggest venue putting on bands at the time and at the age of 14 I had no idea there were bands playing their own stuff, in fact, I dont think there were that many, covers were the order of the day back in the dark ages when I had hair and a waistline.

G...[/quote']

Not 100%, if you check Thurisaz's post, but I think that's what happens to the vast majority of people.

random post

i have been to one gig at aecc and it was jason donovan.................

but he was still in neighbours at the time and i really enjoyed it

made me ask for a guitar and skateboard for chrismas

That was the same night that Iron Maiden played the Capital. I went to that gig wearing a green track suit.

• Upvote 1

I just don't hold with the argument that there will be folk that go to bigger gigs and then decide that they will want to go to more and smaller gigs. If you buy the top ten albums every five years and the NOW THAT'S.. collection and then keep them beside your toaster, I would think it unlikely that you are going to be seeking something a little different. This also goes for those that only watch 'covers bands' and then want to talk about the 'gigs' they have seen... Not big 'music fans' and enjoy seeing things they know and understand and don't overly challenge.

I am not judging in anyway here and everyone likes what they like. I will say that you are not going to see most of the 'Devoid Grave' audience heading for the Tunnels anytime soon/ever!

Can I also say that everyone should go to the Globe at some point and get a giggle at the guys in bands that it take it oh so seriously... Its a giggle and entertainment on a different musical level. CAR CRASH VIEWING PLAYED THROUGH A CHORUS PEDAL

I just don't hold with the argument that there will be folk that go to bigger gigs and then decide that they will want to go to more and smaller gigs. If you buy the top ten albums every five years and the NOW THAT'S.. collection and then keep them beside your toaster' date=' I would think it unlikely that you are going to be seeking something a little different. This also goes for those that only watch 'covers bands' and then want to talk about the 'gigs' they have seen... Not big 'music fans' and enjoy seeing things they know and understand and don't overly challenge.

I am not judging in anyway here and everyone likes what they like. I will say that you are not going to see most of the 'Devoid Grave' audience heading for the Tunnels anytime soon/ever!

Can I also say that everyone should go to the Globe at some point and get a giggle at the guys in bands that it take it oh so seriously... Its a giggle and entertainment on a different musical level. CAR CRASH VIEWING PLAYED THROUGH A CHORUS PEDAL[/quote']

Most people go first to bigger gigs because it's something they know and is safer and because of that they realise they enjoy the live vibe, and then that might lead them to look at other things, I agree a large amount of people will never go beyond the AECC gigs etc but some might and as Ian says his first few gigs were bigger ones so were GraemeC's and mine, most people will go to bigger gigs first purely because they're well publicised and people know they're happening etc and what the bands play. When you're talking about 8000 people you cant really generalise and so its likely for some it might be their first gig and then encourage them to maybe go see something else, and anyone coming into the local scene is a good thing - course there is the other thing that frequently going to see bigger bands also kicks off people's desire to play music and it feeds the scene that way.

Cheers

Stuart

ive been out there with moshulu flyerign at franz, 6500 flyers for a club that plays indie, with free entry and pound drinks

it didnt work

cloud once again your opinion is nonsense.

talk about moronic.

good to see you, jester and baldy stick togetrher through thick and thin though. perhaps its all that kissing ass with your bumchums that makes you talk so much shite

ive been out there with moshulu flyerign at franz' date=' 6500 flyers for a club that plays indie, with free entry and pound drinks

it didnt work

talk about moronic.

good to see you, jester and baldy stick togetrher through thick and thin though. perhaps its all that kissing ass with your bumchums that makes you talk so much shite[/quote']

Ouch.....

ive been out there with moshulu flyerign at franz' date=' 6500 flyers for a club that plays indie, with free entry and pound drinks

it didnt work

talk about moronic.

good to see you, jester and baldy stick togetrher through thick and thin though. perhaps its all that kissing ass with your bumchums that makes you talk so much shite[/quote']

Have you any idea how tiny the numbers of people who activly seek out or are even remotly interested in new music are?

Most people are quite happy to consume the music that is served to them by the media and record companies.... what I am trying to say is, it doesnt matter a flying fuck where or to whom flyers are handed the chances of them coming to "small" gigs is almost nill. Get a band an article in the Daily Record and watch the tickets sell....

Have you any idea how tiny the numbers of people who activly seek out or are even remotly interested in new music are?

Most people are quite happy to consume the music that is served to them by the media and record companies.... what I am trying to say is' date=' it doesnt matter a flying fuck where or to whom flyers are handed the chances of them coming to "small" gigs is almost nill. Get a band an article in the Daily Record and watch the tickets sell....[/quote']

If the active seekers of new music are passionate enough about it then theres no stopping it in my view.

having been to see the buzzcocks last night i was appauled at the crowd. mostly filled with children mind, but there was not one person even moving till about half way through the set, yet i couldnt find a gap to squeeze to the front to start some movement either.

Gets on my nerves when people go to a gig to stand and stare blankly at a band but it really makes me want to draw blood when they wont let anyone past them either.

In fairness however "most" other gigs ive been to with a more mainstream band have been decent, or even good on occasion.. never anything special.

it didnt work

talk about moronic.

I dont actually get your arguement, are you saying that people whose first gigs are big gigs dont get interested in going to other gigs ? Even though there's been a few examples of people on this thread who have said just that ? Are they liars, we've said it isnt the majority but it happens to some, are you just incapable of taking in anything, even backed up by facts, if it goes against your little idealist view of how things should be ? The bottom line is some people do get into gigs in general by going to see bigger gigs - whether its being influenced to play or to enjoy the live vibe, therefore they have a good effect on the local scene, that is an established fact isnt it? Surely more people going to gigs is good.

Cheers

Stuart

I dont actually get your arguement' date=' are you saying that people whose first gigs are big gigs dont get interested in going to other gigs ? Even though there's been a few examples of people on this thread who have said just that ? Are they liars, we've said it isnt the majority but it happens to some, are you just incapable of taking in anything, even backed up by facts, if it goes against your little idealist view of how things should be ? The bottom line is some people do get into gigs in general by going to see bigger gigs - whether its being influenced to play or to enjoy the live vibe, therefore they have a good effect on the local scene, that is an established fact isnt it? Surely more people going to gigs is good.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

There are a few no doubt and those on here that have said as much would have found music regardless me thinks... The point being that flyering such events to bring new faces to gigs is a waste of fricken time becuase most of the buggers only have about three albums. Not much more need to debate it surely. Its the same as the folk that buy a shirt or a pair of jeans............... (insert own fashion wear) becasue their mates have it/them. Happy in a wee world of trends and fads!

Once again Cloud has brought up a pointless debate based on nowt experience (sorry but I seem to want to mention this alot)

On topic... Aberdeen has always been hard audience. Once we get going though probably one of the best. Seen it many a time whilst I stand mid way up the venue with a sullen uninterested look and feet firmly planted! :)

On topic... Aberdeen has always been hard audience. Once we get going though probably one of the best.

Agreed! The first cheer or round of applause is always the harest one to elicit. That's why every Saturday I stand up like a plonker and introduce each band the 'old fashioned' way. Once you get a few people going "Aaarrrrr" things just seem to take their natural course. And now after only 4 years some of our regular attenders no longer require any encouragement to show their appreciation... which is heartening.

Guest scott cs.

Basically all you will guarantee from your strategy is that a very large proportion of your 10' date='000 flyers will be carpeting the AECC floor and surrounding area. [/quote']

so not only has all that money and time spent of the flyers gone to waste, i believe the promoter/venue gets charged by the council for littering?

if someone went up to the AECC with a team of people to flyer and handed out 10' date='000 professional quality flyers for a show, they'd probably get quite a shock.[/quote']

Yes they'd get a shock because they'd discover that the AECC doesn't hold 10,000 people (the actual capacity is 6000, and that's on a very big night). And then they'd realise that they'd wasted a bunch of money printing too many (professional quality) flyers.

my point exactly

Ok quoting that post wasnt the best plan.....

I believe that lots of kids interests in music stem from the pop charts or sometimes, like my kids, dad drags them along to major shows. You appear to think that the majority of "real" music fans start at the small venue shows and may work up to the big events, myself and others agree that that is not always the case.....I dont lie!!