aberdeen-music

evil flatmates

catherine

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell no' date=' that's what you pay rent for. You can easily tell her to fuck off.[/quote']

Her parents pay her rent, in the form of a mortgage. Even if you don't agree she has more rights, you certainly can't argue she has less.

It does sound like she's being unreasonable though, if she'd told catherine about the change of plan, the situation could've been avoided, since she didn't, she should be trying to find a way round it.

Men wouldn't fight over petty shit like this.

Male 1: "my mates are coming over to stay this weekend"

Male 2: "cool"

end of

can i add... male 2 "are they female/hot?"

That's shit...

Catherine pays rent and does her fair share by the sound of things... her flatmate isn't her mother and has no right to tell her what she can and cannot do... especially as it's not breaching any contract and not causing any inconvenience to her flatmate.

I'd say they have equal rights.

Having two people staying for a few days isn't an inconvenience?

Her family own the flat, if they both leased the flat form a third party, I'd say they were equal. As it stands, I'm sure her parents think of her as their "agent" for the "business" of leasing the flat and is therefore empowered to make decisions in their absence. It's not as if they're not going to side with her anyway.

yeah ive got a direct debit paying them the money every month. its not cash in hand.

my contract runs out at the end of june though. but there is nothing in it about not having people to stay.

im considering phoning her parents. but that may just make things worse,. she is going home this weekend and is gona tell them all about it anyway. so im gona wait til she is back to tell her they are coming anyway. and hopfully by then ill have somehwere else to stay :D im away to try sort it out now

yeah ive got a direct debit paying them the money every month. its not cash in hand.

my contract runs out at the end of june though. but there is nothing in it about not having people to stay.

im considering phoning her parents. but that may just make things worse' date='. she is going home this weekend and is gona tell them all about it anyway. so im gona wait til she is back to tell her they are coming anyway. and hopfully by then ill have somehwere else to stay :D im away to try sort it out now[/quote']

You'd better check to see how much notice you have to give, cos you're legally obliged to pay the rent for that time, even if you're not living there.

I'd also make sure you do have somewhere else lined up before telling her, unless your entirely sure there isn't some sort of catch-all clause in the contract they can use to lob you out.

Yes, speak to her parents as they are your Landlords. Get it sorted. Just say that you pay your rent and you expect others in the flat to behave accordingly.

I.e. Tidying up their shit.

I'm sure the landlord / parents will only be too willing to give their daughter an ear-bashing for being a messy shit. (Well, they still want their money don't they and they don't want their precious daughter fucking that up for them.)

speak to the parents before she does!

good plan, ross, you are a source of constant surprise. Call up her parents and ask their permission, dont mention that the flatmate has said no, if they say its fine then go with it. They can hardly backtrack once their daughter has gone home and moans about it, it'll make them look petty and parents dont like that.

Mine dont anyway.

well. it looks like ive got somewhere to live after my lease runs out hopfully. if the girl does move out.

so they will be pennyless anyway,

i feel like calling the council up and tell them that theres been a 3rd person living here who aint a student... and see what they do when she has to pay council tax... mwhahahaha

well. it looks like ive got somewhere to live after my lease runs out hopfully. if the girl does move out.

so they will be pennyless anyway' date='

i feel like calling the council up and tell them that theres been a 3rd person living here who aint a student... and see what they do when she has to pay council tax... mwhahahaha[/quote']

do it do it!

If you have a contract and it doesnt say anything about friends staying over (Stayover:band: ) then you dont even have to ask for permission etc. Stick with the contract and you are sorted lass.

Are you getting some sweet deal on the rent there or something?

If so, you may have to put up and shut up. If not, then why the hell are you putting up with that shit?

As for calling the council/raking up past misdemeanors(?sp)..............what's the point. Take the higher ground. I'm sure she'll realise why you are moving out when you eventually do!

im fucked. she had already called her mum and she said she isnt happy with 6 people staying here and i can call her if i want to argue about it.

im going to write them an email saying how i understand but we had 5 people stay last time and it was fine and stoke doesnt need to stay. and the story about how they tried to make their mates stay and force me to share my bed with mark. that would have been 6 people staying.

for those interested i pay £200 a month in rent. and only pay the phone bill on top of that.

its a two beroom flat in an council esate that cost £45,00. so im guessing the mortgage isnt that expensive. based on how much i know my parents pay for theres and the cost of my house and stuff.

im fucked. she had already called her mum and she said she isnt happy with 6 people staying here and i can call her if i want to argue about it.

im going to write them an email saying how i understand but we had 5 people stay last time and it was fine and stoke doesnt need to stay. and the story about how they tried to make their mates stay and force me to share my bed with mark. that would have been 6 people staying.

for those interested i pay 200 a month in rent. and only pay the phone bill on top of that.

its a two beroom flat in an council esate that cost 45' date='00. so im guessing the mortgage isnt that expensive. based on how much i know my parents pay for theres and the cost of my house and stuff.[/quote']

The mortgage on that is probably 260 a month....and to rent a similar one yourself would probably cost 180 per month.

Adding to that... if you speak to her mummy and she wants to get demanding that you should get all legal on her ass.

Seriously... your flat mate has no right to tell you what to do unless it breaches contract.

Yep, what Burnham said. Dont take any of that shit.

i feel like calling the council up and tell them that theres been a 3rd person living here who aint a student... and see what they do when she has to pay council tax... mwhahahaha

You'd be wasting your time there. (If they haven't got a lockable room to themselves they don't have to pay. ) I've been through this before.

Don't worry about that' date=' her parents won't want to push it because quite simply, the law is on the side of the tenant when it comes to any disputes. Even if you break the contract, enforcing it is a whole different ballgame.

What to do is to look up the lease and find out what it says about visitors. If it says nothing, then the worst they could really do is serve you with a notice to quit - which will cost them money as it has to go through a court.

If you make it clear that you're going to have them staying regardless of what they say and that you intend to quit the property in June regardless, then they'll likely give in rather than go through the hassle that it involves.

Also - are they registered?

[url']http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/housing/landlordregistration/

If they get unreasonable, you could fuck them over royally by getting their registration withdrawn - again, the threat of that happening could make life very difficult for them.

At the end of the day, your best bet is to get your friends round regardless. :)

I've just found something else that may be relevant -

http://www.clacksweb.org.uk/document/277.pdf

The house might be classed as a "house in multiple occupation" - which means that her boyfriend staying there every night would mean 3 unrelated people staying together, which means the house would need a licence. You might have them by the balls there - ultimately, the consequences could be pretty severe for them if the house is classed as an HMO and they haven't licenced the property.