aberdeen-music

Is it finally the end for The Lemon Tree?

thegossip

Details of the Scottish Arts Council's new method of funding arts organisations have been revealed over the past couple of days.

Basically, core funding is no longer available for any organisation from April 2007. But foundation funding (long term) and flexible funding (short term) are replacing this.

Unfortunately The Lemon Tree is not on either of these lists. It has been put on the "project funding" list, maning that they will have to apply for funds each and every time they do a specific project. They will only be able to use these funds for that particular project.

I had a look online at the SAC annual report. In 2004/05 the Lemon Tree received 173,000 from SAC. This will leave a massive hole in their budget, and following the recent revelations about the continuing financial crisis at West North Street, could it be all over before the fat lady is allowed to open her mouth?

Stay tuned.................

It won't be the end. They might be forced to streamline their operations and cut down on the amount of staff, but it's unlikely to be the end. I can't imagine (particularly with 2007 being an election year) that ACC will pull the plug - but they may try and force the LT into being ran on a more commercial basis which, arguably, would do the world of good.

£173k is a lot of money, but look at the list of staff here -

http://www.lemontree.org/generalinfo/index.cfm?pageid=14

Some of them may very well get the chop - personally, I'm of the opinion that there's no need for so many staff when commercial entertainment businesses run with far less. Four bar duty managers, for instance? They could run with 3 quite easily.

I just can't see any way that the current administration is going to cut a popular venue - the Lemon Tree is part of Aberdeen, and the people responsible for funding it are not going to close the doors for fear of what the EE will do to them.

As far as the SAC goes - I think it'll be best to wait and see on that front.

Priorities

I understand your thinking Cloud, but The Lemon Tree is no longer a priority for ACC either. They are looking for a new mid-scale venue and the Lemon Tree is not going to be it. I can guarantee you of that.

I agree with the comment about the staff list. There are so many, they have had to employ a Human Resources officer!

I understand your thinking Cloud' date=' but The Lemon Tree is no longer a priority for ACC either. They are looking for a new mid-scale venue and the Lemon Tree is not going to be it. I can guarantee you of that.[/quote']

Looking for and committing to a new venue is two seperate things - I don't believe we'll see a replacement for the Tree anytime soon, especially after the debacle with the AECC. Whether or not it's a priority for them, I don't have a clue - but are they really, really going to risk the negative publicity by closing the doors?

I agree with the comment about the staff list. There are so many, they have had to employ a Human Resources officer!

That's absolutely ridiculous. I'm not going to idly speculate, but I think half of their problems comes from being so overstaffed. Cut the wage bill and cut costs and they'll be on their way to breaking even - heck, if Moshulu can manage it, surely the Lemon Tree can? Obviously they have a public service obligation, but surely they could seperate the commercial from the uncommercial activities?

The sooner someone puts their foot down and tells the LT to operate commercially, the better.

she was working at that beetles nihgt...ive seen her the odd few times latley, so maybe she is doing part time. and yes, the lemontree will lose a piece of its history if marj leaves.

marj doesnt work there any more. scott lyons (?) got her job as she had to leave due to her "bad back" (officially)

it does sound like they are having a laugh down at the lemon tree. and for once i agree with cloud. too many cooks have spoiled the broth, shocking organisational skills have led to many crucial fuck ups.

funding is there to subsidise the price it would cost to see many of their events. why are ticket prices still so high?

To stuart maxwell et al : from the horse's mouth : i am still employed by the Lemon Tree but have been off with a bad back " officially " for a month now.Having had one disc removed from my lower spine years ago, I am now having problems with two other prolapsed discs and have been signed off for a further 2 weeks and it's no fun believe me !All 3 Front of House Managerial positions are part time not full time.Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks in this thread..much appreciated !

Regards

Marj

To stuart maxwell et al : from the horse's mouth : i am still employed by the Lemon Tree but have been off with a bad back " officially " for a month now.Having had one disc removed from my lower spine years ago' date=' I am now having problems with two other prolapsed discs and have been signed off for a further 2 weeks and it's no fun believe me !All 3 Front of House Managerial positions are part time not full time.Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks in this thread..much appreciated !

Regards

Marj[/quote']

get well soon & haste ye back (no pun intended)

imp

xx

To stuart maxwell et al : from the horse's mouth : i am still employed by the Lemon Tree but have been off with a bad back " officially " for a month now.Having had one disc removed from my lower spine years ago' date=' I am now having problems with two other prolapsed discs and have been signed off for a further 2 weeks and it's no fun believe me !All 3 Front of House Managerial positions are part time not full time.Thanks to all of you for your kind remarks in this thread..much appreciated !

Regards

Marj[/quote']

yeah, get well soon marj, you are a legend! the lemontree is boring without you getting annoyed at me.:up:

Regards

Marj[/quote']

Awesome, I didn't know you were on the boards :) Haven't seen you in ages, night shifts just aren't the same without you :up:

(yeah, it's Kate by the way :) )

their ticket prices for local gigs are outragious. all that place has going for it at the moment is good sound and lights.

Not really outrageous in my opinion, The Boy Lacks Patience's album launch was a measly 2.50 and a complete bargain in my opinion. Not sure about other local acts as I rarely go to their gigs and prefer to watch from behind the bar but I don't think that the Tree charges much more than other venues in aberdeen for local gigs.

Maybe you're including how much you spend on Red Bull :p

Get well soon Marj!

I like the Lemon Tree, it's probably currently my favourite venue to play and watch gigs at. Sound engineers always make sure you're happy.

Yes the drinks prices are quite high, but I wouldn't say the ticket prices are extortionate - and I don't go to gigs to get pished (Fudge MAs not included...;)). I'd be sorry to see the good old Melon Tree go.

you know what though Rach, it's not that much more than The Bassment. Vodka and mixer is £2.40 and pints are from £2.50, back in the day The Bassment was dirt cheap but the prices have gone up recently so apart from the cocktails, most things (like cider, £2.40) are only 10p cheaper or so.

I get annoyed by folk who go to gigs to get pished, both as barstaff and as a member of the audience. If you want to get drunk then head to a bar, don't get loud and annoying when other people are trying to enjoy the music.

Regards

Marj[/quote']

What a pathetic and feeble excuse Marj....:nono:

Went to the fudge awards in the hope of seeing you, no Marj, no big hug, man was I pissed off....o_O

Back pain sufferers are just skivers....everyone knows that, and as you well know I have never suffered from it, im off to dig the garden now....:laughing:

Hope your fighting fit soon.

Love G... :kiss: