aberdeen-music

Lucky Number Slevin

Johnny Mac

Anyone been to see this at the cinema yet?

I thought it was pretty awesome.

Starring:

Bruce Willis

Josh Hartnett

Morgan Freeman

Lucy Liu

Lots of killing' date=' a bit of comedy in there, just a really well put together film.

Recommended.

Oh, and i loved all the badass wallpaper.[/quote']

Yeah, it was a great film, really cleverly done. I agree that the wall paper was pretty interesting..... They could have made the wall in the Rabbi's son's room a less fake looking :D

It's like in playstation games when the wall thats going to move is a little off shade to the normal colour!!

:popcorn:

It far exceeded my expectations, very nicely put together, and it even made me swoon over Lucy Liu, something I previously thought impossible after suffering her performance (and that of everyone else's, Bill Murray excluded) in Charlie's Angels I and II. And the snazzy wallpaper was indeed ace.

The director Paul McGuigan, previously did Gangster No 1, which had some great moments, though petered out when it had Malcolm McDowall rather than Paul Bettany in the lead. He's also Scottish too, which is pretty groovy.

• 3 weeks later...

Definately a rare film, but although it was far superior to the avarage shoot-em-up story there's a few downfalls. The dialogue is stuck between that of an old mobster film, and that of some seriously fake cheese. The story and twists are good but the conclusion's totally dumbed down for the Audience, by things like re-emphasising the watches, guns, rings and details you should have noticed.

Overall definately worth seeing, much better all the other horse-shit out just now. All-star cast, with top knotch acting, like a modern goodfellas with a different ending for the 'good guy'.

7/10

I saw it a few weeks ago, and I would defintely recommend anyone to go and see it. I thought it was pretty clever.

Paul is right though, they really shouldn't have emphasised those things at the end, because anyone who was watching closely enough would have taken that in already, but still, a very good watch.

I thought it was absolutely shit. As Subsisty said, Paul McGuigan is of Gangster No. 1 fame, however he's also known to be one of the most criticised directors in film, and I'm not surprised.

The cinematography and the camera work was inconsistent, the story for the first two thirds cliched (every character was from some sort of boring hap-hazard detective novel, Lucy Liu - ditzy, sporadic, cute, love interest, Josh Hartnett the downtrodden good looking hero, Bruce Willis - every assassin role ever, Freeman/Kingsley - one was the smooth talking, Homer/Sun-su quoting boss, the other the interestingly, oddball, it honestly felt that the Jewish thing was thrown in there for some differation).

The acting was okay in areas, average in others - Willis, the same role he's done in so many films *yawn*, Hartnett, very average, Liu, where is her career going?

The film couldn't make up its mind where it was going, and referenced Pulp novella's so badly it was supposed to redeem itself? It was jarred and fragmented. Themes and styles clashed: comedy, pulp, thriller, action, dark noir, love story, hitchcockian finale, in the end it, just seemed misguided.

It was almost as if the producers and director where trying to be immensely clever, creating a document on the 40s thriller, 70s pulp novella mixed with techniques currently in use in film today. It didn't work.

Those flashbacks as well looked awful with that jerky camera, ugh.

I'm sorry, but it's the worst film I've ever seen, not because it was simply awful (Freddie Vs Jason, Doom as two recent examples), but because it was done by people who can actually formulate good ideas and portray them well on film, who then made a monstrosity.