aberdeen-music

New Lemon Tree?

Cloud

Invest in decent management' date=' with the exception of Andy shearer of course. : )[/quote']

Andy, someone likes you! The Lemon Tree was never properly designed as a live music/multi purpose Arts Venue. Shona Powell's (the first LT director) avowed intent was to raise the building to the ground and start again. It's long overdue and can only be positive.

I think the Lemon Tree is a great venue. Serves it's purpose brilliantly.

If Aberdeen's lacking anything it's something along the lines of the Edinburgh Corn Exchange or The Barrowlands. We have the AECC for huge bands, places like Moshulu for smaller international touring acts and then smaller venues like The Tunnels etc, but there's a whole segment of bands that your only going to see in venue's in Glasgow. Which is crazy as Aberdeen has a good scene, good promoters and heaps of music fans, yet the closest thing we've got is the Music Hall and good bands there are far too infrequent.

I don't even know if it's plausible to have such a venue in Aberdeen, but we have a heap of small venues, but nowhere for larger touring international bands to play.

I don't even know if it's plausible to have such a venue in Aberdeen' date=' but we have a heap of small venues, but nowhere for larger touring international bands to play.[/quote']

Doesn't Moshulu fill that gap (kinda) - I know its smaller than the venues you mentioned, but per population its comparable to the Barras......

Doesn't Moshulu fill that gap (kinda) - I know its smaller than the venues you mentioned' date=' but per population its comparable to the Barras......[/quote']

Yeh to an extent, and it's really come into its own recently getting really good bands in. They still only cover a certain market of bands however.

For example take a band like Placebo (I'm just using them as an example as they're playing the Glasgow Academy, the kind of venue I'm talking about). Now they're a big band, but not a huge band. Where are they going to play in Aberdeen? Moshulu's too small and the AECC is far too big, so they're just left with the Music Hall who rarely seem to host contemporary rock gigs.

There's no need to demolish the building, it's a lovely art deco type thing and surely it can be used for something else if they really wanted to move the LT somewhere else.

Personally I think it's a waste of money, the company will still be in debt so having a new venue won't help them get bigger bands, they won't play if they aren't getting paid.

The only thing they need to do to The Tree is get out of debt so they can afford better bands and put the bar prices down :) and make the pillars smaller, there are only a few spots you can stand/sit and get a good view of the stage.

Yeh to an extent' date=' and it's really come into its own recently getting really good bands in. They still only cover a certain market of bands however.

For example take a band like Placebo (I'm just using them as an example as they're playing the Glasgow Academy, the kind of venue I'm talking about). Now they're a big band, but not a huge band. Where are they going to play in Aberdeen? Moshulu's too small and the AECC is far too big, so they're just left with the Music Hall who rarely seem to host contemporary rock gigs.[/quote']

I know you're only using them as an example, but Placebo played the MH a few years back.

you're right though - the MH is really bad for gigs at the moment.

What about the Beach Ballroom? What's the capacity there?

here's the full article from the EE.

Personally, I'd love a venue like Dundee's DCA to be built in Aberdeen - but with a larger attached venue for bands to play in. Shame that the Tivoli is being neglected as well.

ANGER AS COUNCIL'S NEW PLAN LEAVES TIVOLI 'TO ROT'

1 reader has commented on this story. Click here to read their views.

MOREEN SIMPSON

11:00 - 22 February 2006

Decision a final nail in coffin for city venue

Theatre-lovers are outraged at plans for a new stage and cultural centre in Aberdeen.

The city council wants a new purpose-built venue to replace the Lemon Tree.

It would house community groups like White Space and City Moves and be available for conferences.

But members of the Tivoli Trust, who have battled for eight years to restore the 135-year-old Guild Street building are angry over the plan.

They want it bought back to its former glory and fear a new venue is the final nail in the coffin

- blighting their own restoration plans.

But Cllr John Stewart, who heads the arts, cultural and heritage strategy task force, said the new venture would rationalise some of the city's performance venues and save cash.

There would be seating for up to 700.

Councillors are inviting consultants to tender for a feasibility study on the new entertainment complex.

As yet no site has been identified, but it is understood the Denburn Health Centre and St Nicholas House - both scheduled for demolition - would be considered.

Councillor Stewart said that a new venue meant the council could cut its overheads and put various groups under one roof. It would also be a chance to resite the Lemon Tree whose 30-year-old lay-out was limiting.

If the plan, which has not been costed, goes ahead, they would hope to get cash towards it from the Scottish Arts Council.

Mr Stewart said: "We told the Tivoli Trust when we visited the theatre about 18 months ago that it was no good for what we wanted.

"The Tivoli is not going to be a living theatre again.

"They estimate renovations would cost around 8 million, but I believe it could be closer to 14 or 20 million - and significantly more than a new centre.

It's never going to be a viable concern."

Tivoli Trust member Edi Swan said: "We are absolutely appalled.

"Councillors want a new-build, rather than developing the existing architectural masterpiece on their doorsteps - in a prime position if and when the Union Square development is completed."

Like His Majesty's, the Tivoli was designed by revered British theatre architect, Frank Matcham.

Since it was set up, the Tivoli Trust has been trying to raise cash for the restoration but suffered a series of setbacks.

They are negotiating with owner, businessman Tony Donald, to buy it for 1.5 million.

Mr Swan said: "It would be an absolute tragedy if it were left to rot then pulled down.

"Councillors in other cities would be proud of and cherish such a building. Not in Aberdeen.

"But we are going to battle on and hopefully harness some of the support we know we have from Aberdonians."

The Lemon Tree's roof is too low, it's severely restricting as far as light shows go.

A venue with an 800-1000 capacity would be handy as well, as someone pointed out we have nothing between about 650 and 1500.

These problems, and others like the pillars, can't be sorted in the current building.

Unfortunately the council has a great track record of taking good ideas and producing shit.

Aberdeen should get a carling academy

The Carling Academy is one of those venues that's good for punters but not necessarily for bands, they tale a high percentage of merch sales, something like 15-25% which if it happens on every date on a tour can really cut into the money made that can make the tour viable. It's not unrealistic for bands playing 1500 capacity venues to still only be making money through merchandise sales and that's not a good thing if up to 25% of the money is taken. One of the things I've always liked about Aberdeen venues is they dont take a cut of the merchandise.

Cheers

Stuart

As far as I understand it' date=' the Lemon Tree bar is run by a seperate company, so any changes to the lemon tree won't affect bar prices.[/quote']

Hmm, not something I've ever been told while working there. I know it was the decision of the lemon tree when the spirit measures went down from 35ml to 25ml, partly to lower the cost but also to lower the amount people were drinking and stop some people getting shit faced and obnoxious.

To be honest the prices aren't as bad as some places, Triple Kirks is pretty pricey for pints if you don't have a Yellow Card.

Would like to have seen the Tivoli done up, even if it was into a hotel or something, it's a shame just to leave it empty.

Guest Tommyboy

New lemon Tree

Certainly need new venues in aberdeen. But first bands have got to be prepared to come to Aberdeen.

Music Hall is decent but rightly not enough decent bands. have heard that Music Hall has turned down bands when nothing apparently booked.

LT quality of bands has deteriorated completely over last couple of years so unless everything changes then who's to say that we will get anything better.

Even AECC doesn't get gigs it should seems to be recurring concerts, Westlife, Oasis, travis and that ilk. Why are they not getting bands of similar pulling power of the likes of Green Day and bands that play the SECC.

Need a venue of "capitol" size (those were the days. Thought we struggled to get bands then but things are getting worse and worse)

Havn't been to the Tunnels but went to Moshulu for Delays. Sound quality sh*te, turning volume up to lound doesn't make concert any better)

LT far superior venue and should be getting better bands

As for drink prices LT not bad compared to Moshulu's 8.40 for 2 magners and a coke