aberdeen-music

Jack Johnson

Funky Hed

• 4 years later...

He's great. I love the whole chilled out surf style acoustic stuff. There was nothing better than chucking on some Jack Johnson whilst sitting and watching the sun set over West Beach in Adelaide and sinking a few Carlton Cold's.

If you like him it's also worth checking out Donavon Frankenreiter, Ben Harper, G-Love and Special Sauce, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Xavier Rudd, John Butler Trio and Mason Jennings. All cracking in my opinion.

This is an ancient thread btw...

Which is probably why my hatred of Jack Johnson re-affirms my hatred of surfers, Australian or otherwise.

Edit: I'd actually probably call it more of a semi-hostile indifference, rather than a specific hatred.

Well i like him, and similar artists, whether you like him or not. You are of course entitled to your opinion. I do object to you belittling what i said in such a trite manner, given that you don't really know enough about me to write my reminiscences off as derivative media coaxed fantasies.

Well, the way you said it did make it sound as though it was purged straight from either the Australian tourist board, a Carlton Cold commercial or a Love Boat script.

Well, the way you say things often makes me think that you're quoting straight from the Pompous Schoolboy's Handbook. So i guess we're even then ;)

He's sickeningly dull, I hate being subjected to him when I'm the company of people with extremely inferior taste. They're normally drinking crap American beers when they're listening to him too, and say things as insightful as "I love the acoustic vibe, it's just like...aye...chillin". The whole unbearable barefoot-sensitive-guy schtick I can't stand either .

If Alkaline's liking of Jack Johnson is laced with nostalgia fair enough, but I don't think anyone could give a convincing objective reason for listening to the guy.

His music is pleasant enough. Some nice melodies and guitar playing but not something I listen to out of choice. Especially not that Soundtrack he did for Curious George. Sounds like some kind of musical episode of Playdays. Doing ABC's and being friends with flowers. Get fucked.

hahaha, ace.

i quite like jack johnson. nice to whistle along to. i play it at work when i've got really young babies in as it's nice background stuff that isn't going to offend or freak babies out with.

Jack Johnson makes the most inoffensive music in the world. He's the kind of musician your mum likes - infact, my mum does like him. I'm hugely indifferent, I suppose he serves some purpose in background music kinda way. If I was to say he makes music for people who don't really like music, would you get what I mean? That's not even necessarily a criticism, I just think that the majority of people I know of the "lol, I'll listen to anything" persuasion own a Jack Johnson CD. I mean, his back catalogue is on permanent offer in Tesco.

So I reckon it's that mass appeal that pisses people off about him, rather than his music -which could never be descibed as bad, but easily called boring. Personally, I find him at best an decent fireside musician and at worse a bit dull. Different strokes, etc.