aberdeen-music

Campaign to bring back the OLD forum!

Originally posted by Craig:

it was a good summer :)

what happened to us all :'(

I grew up... left school, joined a band, went to college, left college and have been bogged down with crap ever since.

I'd go for a game of duck duck goose just now... especially since I'm not far from Belmont Street at this very moment... but alas... my dreams are in vain.

*sobs*

Wirelessly posted (NokiaN-Gage/1.0 SymbianOS/6.1 Series60/1.2 Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0 UP.Link/5.1.1a)

Why don't the mods put it to a vote how people would like the forums to be seperated. Then we can get on with having a great summer and stop moaning and looking back like the world has come to an end! There's nothing wrong with a bit of nostalgia but it doesn't have to be in such a negative context!

Originally posted by JJ 10 Easy Wishes:

There 3 of us on the campaign trail. I just seem to remember that gigs were far easier to advertise, bands became far more popular by way of the boards, and gigs seemed to be much better attended. Instead of staying up at night to chat on the wasteland, people went to gigs to speak!

Haha! Yes! I used to like going to Safeway before they had aisles and they just piled all the food in the middle of the floor. It was a bit tricky finding the fresh fruit before it got buried under the frozen prepared meals, but at least I went to more gigs then, instead of just wandering up and down the dairy aisle...

o_O

Guest pop-notmyface

i remember those days...... when it was still confusing if aubl was actually aberdeen-music or the other way round.......and when bands had forums because they actually deserved it because theiy are part of "the Elite"..... brings a tear to me eye...

I agree. And now this post has been condemned to the little known house of "comments and suggestions". I had never ever looked in here before. Oh God. To anyone that wasn't around when gigs were more highly attented, and the old forum existed, you cannot comment on what a stupid idea this is!

Just trust me. Everything was much more fun. It's all too serious now! I feel like I'm being watched!

To anyone that wasn't around when gigs were more highly attented, and the old forum existed, you cannot comment on what a stupid idea this is!

I hope you're not seriously trying to suggest that there's any link between these forums causing loss of attendence at gigs? o.O

There's a whole city out there to advertise in - Perhaps promoters need to think outwith the easy options.

Guest Craig
Originally posted by Frosty Jack:

Haha! Yes! I used to like going to Safeway before they had aisles and they just piled all the food in the middle of the floor. It was a bit tricky finding the fresh fruit before it got buried under the frozen prepared meals, but at least I went to more gigs then, instead of just wandering up and down the dairy aisle...

o_O

beautiful

have a gold star :)

star%20gold.jpg

Guest The Dark Knight
Originally posted by Untitled:

i know that

just didnt think logan was around then

I first joined in August of 2002 but was viewing since June or something on my brothers account! ;)

Guest Craig
Originally posted by The Dark Knight:

I first joined in August of 2002 but was viewing since June or something on my brothers account! ;)

Logan. The Orignal Spammer ;)

[EDIT] Plus Phil :)

Originally posted by Craig:

beautiful

have a gold star :)

star%20gold.jpg

Yeah, why not? The nazis thought of it first though didn't they? You know, so you could spot the jews more easily. That made life easier didn't it? Organisation is the key.

Heil Hitler!

Couple of points here...

What difference does the organisation of the messageboards make in terms of actually turning up at the gigs? Most gigs are advertised at the calender thing on the top of the forums, so unless you stick your head in the ground, it's not hard to see what's on. I usually go for a prowl in both the AUBL and All Music forums to see what might be on in the future, and it's not really that hard. As for attendance at gigs, I think it was Rob Karloff that once said to me on here that he'd never seen a band really go for it as far as promotion was concerned. I've never been handed a flyer for a local gig when out in town anyway, although some people assure me that they've done such a thing in the past. Maybe it might be an idea to conduct some market research some day into just how aware the general public is aware of the music scene in Aberdeen? Maybe such a thing has been done, I don't know.

My other point though..Rob Karloff made a point about how some people are more into the scene than the music. I have to say that if it hadn't been for the people in the scene, I'd unlikely have continued to want to go to gigs and such like. It's strange, but I could directly attribute my attendance at a few gigs solely based on people who I knew being at a gig where someone's played, and then i've went to another gig of theirs to discover other bands, and it all goes from there. It might not be as important to people who's friends are in the scene already, but to people who are just starting to go to gigs, the people in the scene are almost as important as the music itself. I'm not sure if this makes any sense, but the core point is that it's not just about the music.

I've got one gripe with the boards - it seems to really, really clutter things up with all the band forums being visible on the front page. Otherwise, things are fine the way they are - although I wouldn't support The Wasteland being subdivided anymore, otherwise it runs the risk of losing the charm that it has.

• Upvote 1

the boards used to be pretty much focused on giving bands some free advertising. it was far easier to reach a new audience by posting on the one forum that everyone looked at, and asking people to download a song, rather than searching for that particular forum that people who listen to mp3s go to. also people who don't know who 10ew are aren't going to waste their time looking through the forum for new gigs! if there is an exciting gig going on, it should be advertised the old way

e.g

THE QUEERS + 10 easy wishes + my minds weapon @ kef APRIL 4th

and then there would be some writing.

capiche

the boards used to be pretty much focused on giving bands some free advertising. it was far easier to reach a new audience by posting on the one forum that everyone looked at, and asking people to download a song, rather than searching for that particular forum that people who listen to mp3s go to. also people who don't know who 10ew are aren't going to waste their time looking through the forum for new gigs! if there is an exciting gig going on, it should be advertised the old way

e.g

capiche

Surely you're mistaking aberdeen-music with the AUBL site, which is pretty much focussed on giving bands some free advertising and mp3's to download.

Originally posted by Cloud:

- although I wouldn't support The Wasteland being subdivided anymore, otherwise it runs the risk of losing the charm that it has.

The wasteland isn't being sub-divided merely being used for it's original purpose, which was to handle all the threads which had nothing to do with music.

The site is aberdeen-music not the wasteland (oh and er.. some music as well)

e.g

capiche

capisce

Originally posted by soundian:

The wasteland isn't being sub-divided merely being used for it's original purpose, which was to handle all the threads which had nothing to do with music.

Yeah, that's what I mean, it's fine now..didn't have a problem before with it, but it's fine the way it is now.

also people who don't know who 10ew are aren't going to waste their time looking through the forum for new gigs!

I've chosen to go to a few gigs before based on the response to a thread about it - even if I had no clue as to who the hell they were.

Anyway, if this really is the case and gig numbers are falling due to the organisation of aberdeen-music - doesn't that show that some people have been relying far too much on the internet and not on other forums of promotion? I've noticed that there's bands out there who seem to have a fairly big following locally, despite there being next to no fuss about them on here. I can't remeber who it was, but I remeber walking past Drummonds one night and the place was packed, yet when I checked on here to try and find out what was so good about them, there was nothing about the gig at all.

• 4 weeks later...