aberdeen-music

Campaign to bring back the OLD forum!

I remember when I was a young lad. Interesting I know. I also remember that when I first stumbled across this here music scene from Aberdeen that there was a forum called "AUBL".

Everyone used to refer to aberdeen-music.com as "the aubl", and life was much better. Everyone posted on the same forum, and everyone was united as an actual music scene, rather than people who spoke about music, and people who spoke about their socks.

I have a dream. A dream where everyone is treated equally. A dream where people can post random shite about what colour their socks are, and then about how much they love emo, and then someone else can tell them they are idiots. And then there would be conflicts that everyone knew weren't real, but raised the adrenaline level that extra notch. It made my day. My heart would pound in my chest and I would feel alive as I read the brewing fight between Zombie Munch and everyone in a "punk" band. These were the days when things were actually discussed, not where one person posts something vaguely interesting and then one person replies saying "I agree".

This is ridiculous! grrrrr.

Were this forum to exist once more, people would learn that there is no value in posting about the colour of their socks. This only started happening once it was attempted to split the two.

It's boring having to look through every single forum to find something even slightly interesting. grrrrr.

Of course, forums like "wanted and for sale" and "musicians corner" should still exist, along with the band forums, because bands rely on these and niche market posting needs a home where people can find it. Otherwise everyone should be thrown in the same room! Like a big party. there will always be someone to talk to in the aberdeen-music forum, there's only a few people to talk to in one of the 4 million forums this site now hosts.

Plus, mods wouldn't have to waste their time being nazis, and would not have to keep moving people's threads around BECAUSE THE LAW SAYS SO!

The mods do a great job of course, and I prey that the wonderful rules of democracy allow everyone to add their say in this sort of petition.

My dream is that all forums unite as one. No more discrimination! Let the people speak, and may the boards become an Aberdeen-music scene once more! Not a collection of some people who speak about music, and scenesters who speak about socks. Everyone together! Let the music flow like a river that is flowing very quickly through its banks so it ends up in the sea and meets all the crabs and all the fish and all the sharks.

Help me live this dream!

Guest neil ex

alot of the time people would miss interesting threads because people would rather talk about their favourite crisps or whatever and the interesting threads would be pushed to the bottom.

also if someone was trying to promote a gig, the same would happen...

JJ, those are the truest words I have ever read. Banning music discussion from The Wasteland has served only to further polarise the musician-types and the non-musician types. Beforehand, the people who discussed socks would also get involved in gig/music debates because they were on the same forum, which had a knock-on effect of increasing gig attendances and generating lively debates. The reason why there are no interesting online arguments anymore is because every niche group has its own forum, where a handful of like-minded people can chat and nod their heads in agreement.

There's no way in hell that aberdeen-music is too busy to make a single forum possible. If The Wasteland and the All Music Discussion forums were joined together, it would be perfect. The number of new threads added each day wouldn't be too much to sift through, and it would save a lot of time flicking back and forth between forums.

Even if the general consensus was that that this should happen, I doubt that Neil would do it. It would require backtracking, and no one likes to do that.

Wirelessly posted (Nokia3200/1.0 () Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0 UP.Link/5.1.1a)

Originally posted by JJ 10 Easy Wishes

I remember when I was a young lad. Interesting I know. I also remember that when I first stumbled across this here music scene from Aberdeen that there was a forum called "AUBL".

Everyone used to refer to aberdeen-music.com as "the aubl", and life was much better. Everyone posted on the same forum, and everyone was united as an actual music scene, rather than people who spoke about music, and people who spoke about their socks.

I have a dream. A dream where everyone is treated equally. A dream where people can post random shite about what colour their socks are, and then about how much they love emo, and then someone else can tell them they are idiots. And then there would be conflicts that everyone knew weren't real, but raised the adrenaline level that extra notch. It made my day. My heart would pound in my chest and I would feel alive as I read the brewing fight between Zombie Munch and everyone in a "punk" band. These were the days when things were actually discussed, not where one person posts something vaguely interesting and then one person replies saying "I agree".

This is ridiculous! grrrrr.

Were this forum to exist once more, people would learn that there is no value in posting about the colour of their socks. This only started happening once it was attempted to split the two.

It's boring having to look through every single forum to find something even slightly interesting. grrrrr.

Of course, forums like "wanted and for sale" and "musicians corner" should still exist, along with the band forums, because bands rely on these and niche market posting needs a home where people can find it. Otherwise everyone should be thrown in the same room! Like a big party. there will always be someone to talk to in the aberdeen-music forum, there's only a few people to talk to in one of the 4 million forums this site now hosts.

Plus, mods wouldn't have to waste their time being nazis, and would not have to keep moving people's threads around BECAUSE THE LAW SAYS SO!

The mods do a great job of course, and I prey that the wonderful rules of democracy allow everyone to add their say in this sort of petition.

My dream is that all forums unite as one. No more discrimination! Let the people speak, and may the boards become an Aberdeen-music scene once more! Not a collection of some people who speak about music, and scenesters who speak about socks. Everyone together! Let the music flow like a river that is flowing very quickly through its banks so it ends up in the sea and meets all the crabs and all the fish and all the sharks.

Help me live this dream!

Woo yeah. I remember the good old days with RDB causing trouble. Jeid, Draven, thisGIRL and LynDsey fighting for the most posts. I actually cared. Bring it back i tell ya! X

There 3 of us on the campaign trail. I just seem to remember that gigs were far easier to advertise, bands became far more popular by way of the boards, and gigs seemed to be much better attended. Instead of staying up at night to chat on the wasteland, people went to gigs to speak!

I agree with Kai about the merge of the forums. I don't understand much about web space/anything but surely if two seperate forums can exist on the same site, they could become the same forum therefore taking up the same amount of space? No?

It's ridiculous the stuff that we're not allowed to talk about on The Wasteland now for fear of it being moved elsewhere. I mean, take this thread started by you_nazi for instance, which was born on The Wasteland: http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9533

It was moved elsewhere because, technically-speaking, it's about music, even though anyone with half a braincell can tell that it belongs on The Wasteland.

Guest The Dark Knight
Originally posted by PrincessHolly:

Wirelessly posted (Nokia3200/1.0 () Profile/MIDP-1.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.0 UP.Link/5.1.1a)

Woo yeah. I remember the good old days with RDB causing trouble. Jeid, Draven, thisGIRL and LynDsey fighting for the most posts. I actually cared. Bring it back i tell ya! X

*sniff* where was my mention?

I had the most....once..

Guest Craig

So why don't you all stop moaning and bitching, use the forums properly and make the Music Discussion board like the AUBL used to be...

OR

Fuck off and make your own forums?

Guest Craig
Originally posted by PrincessHolly:

I found that funny because everyone you mentioned there (plus logan) all at one point or another used my old flat for high speed posting on the wasteland...the shame

Originally posted by The Dark Knight:

I had the most....once..

Oh yeah I forgot, coming online about 9am to find Logan had been online all night and had the last post in every thread in every forum. I don't really miss that though.

In all seriousness though (last night I was unable to sleep, thus being bother to post from my mobile) so many threads are gonna cross over. Say you wanted to post a thread about something funny that happened to you at a gig the night before. Does it go in Music Discussion because, ultimately, it's about music, or the Wasteland because you actually wanna discuss whoever vomited on themselves or who had the brightest socks.

I'm confused.

Originally posted by The Dark Knight:

I had the most....once..

I was in the top ten... *sigh*

Those were the days... I was called a nazi... and yes.. playing Duck duck goose on Belmont Street.... that was when the original Duck Duck Goose was but a baby...

*wipes a tear from eye*

Those were the days...

I'm assuming Neil is trying to make the board as informative as possible and this would be much harder if it was lumped into one forum. There is an amazingly large amount of rubbish spoken on the wasteland (of which I have contributed, so it's not a criticism) so I am assuming that the idea is dedicated forums will deter people from turning what some people want as a sensible discussion into rambling incoherence.

By pushing all the forums back together it would mean those that were only interested in the music side of discussion would have to put up and trawl though all the 'which koala is cuter?' threads.

Besides, I read the forums by clicking on the 'new posts' button - So in effect, whichever forum it's been posted in I can see what all the new posts are. By looking at the forum on the right I can gauge wether it's going to be a useful thread to read - i.e. 'Last night's gig at Drakes' in 'music discussion' (or whatever the forum is) suggests to me it's going to be more about the bands playing and the music. The same thread in the wasteland would lead me to expect some funny story about a monkey abusing the doorman.

Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

Those were the days... I was called a nazi... and yes.. playing Duck duck goose on Belmont Street.... that was when the original Duck Duck Goose was but a baby...

*wipes a tear from eye*

Those were the days...

Oh no!! You just reminded me of a day last summer when me, Jeid, Queen Kong, Paulscoconutass, Roscco, Sludge and other people spent a whole afternoon doing nothing on belmont street just moving from one side of the street to the other abd laughing at the way Gordon's kids run. Then Sye came to meet us and we went to Ma Camerons for our tea. What an ace day.

I really don't miss there being a whole page of new threads every half hour though. That totally sucked.

Oh I'm just looking back in a fond manner...

I prefer the way it is now :)

I don't get the whispers when I walk down Belmont Street anymore... they always worried me.

Guest tv tanned

Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

I don't find clicking the mouse a few times to be THAT much of a tribulation.

And I'm certainly not one of the snobby types who've vanished because they're not kingpin on the messageboard anymore.

Guest Craig
Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

*wipes a tear from eye*

Those were the days...

it was a good summer :)

what happened to us all :'(