aberdeen-music

F.A.O MMW, Radio Lucifer, Ascension, Weeping Jesus, SOM.

Hog

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter Rubbish' date=' content is subjective, production is not.

Either the track is well produced or it isn't.[/quote']

Production is about the overall 'sound' of the track/album, and what sounds good and what sounds bad is dependent on someones opinion.

What you may consider to be well produced i may conseder to sound shite, and vise versa.

Im sure i have heard one person say they thought production on a album was good and someone else say the production on the same album was bad, therefore production and sound enginering IS subjective.

Production is about the overall 'sound' of the track/album' date=' and what sounds good and what sounds bad is dependent on someones opinion.

What you may consider to be well produced i may conseder to sound shite, and vise versa.

Im sure i have heard one person say they thought production on a album was good and someone else say the production on the same album was bad, therefore production and sound enginering IS subjective.[/quote']

Kinda, but I was talking about the production in terms of wether or not you can hear what is being done with each instrument, are the vocals are clear blah blah blah.

I agree that for example you can change the way a kick drum sounds during production, and that is certainly subjective, but there are so many variables that can change that sound, and most of them are not related to production. Therefore, the drummer should be involved during the process and ensure that he his happy with the sound.

So, my point is that people can argue all day about wether the drum sounds good or not, but my point was that the you can either hear the drum, and its of an appropriate level, or its not, and that isn't subjective.

I have to have Thanksgiving dinner with the in-laws (don't ask)' date=' but I'll prolly be along after that.[/quote']

Hehe, cool, cya later on.

Running order for the gig is.

Baby Karma first then...

Stayover

Statue of Misery

Weeping Jesus

Element 106

Ascension

My Minds Weapon.

Rock on :up:

So' date=' my point is that people can argue all day about wether the drum sounds good or not, but my point was that the you can either hear the drum, and its of an appropriate level, or its not, and that isn't subjective.[/quote']

Production is subjective and one small part of production is an "appropriate level" for the various instruments, vocals etc, which is also open to personal preferance.

• 4 months later...
Production is subjective and one small part of production is an "appropriate level" for the various instruments' date=' vocals etc, which is also open to personal preferance.[/quote']

"Appropriate levels" are very important in a production....and very much an easy reality with the automation found in much of today's software sequencers. If your mix down doesn't conist of at least a few "fader rides" on various channels.....nothing is going to stand up and take lead and "move you" in the direction of a track.

One Eyehategod album was recorded on a 4 track with 2 room mics and most would consider it to be 'badly' produced but the sound they got fit the band well and make the album better than if if was ''well'' produced.

Hehe....some of the Eyehategod stuff is the best produced stuff I've ever heard simply because they always capture the spirit of those guys live (ever seen them live? 8o ) and the guitars are left as raw and distorting as possible before tape which always makes them screech and screm when one guys stops playing which makes it so exciting to hear.....

"dopesick" is fantastic, the more recent album, they polished it up a bit and distorted the vocals (mikes vocals are sick enough) and it didn't cut the same)

• 3 months later...
Yeah' date=' how time passes! Gonna do it again this year though, hopefully.:up:[/quote']

If it happens again this year I'll get to play instead of watch this time :D

I'd love a mixed covers band (members from various bands playing some metal of some sort)!

Either that or Element play some awesome cover at some point! I wanna play a solo where I'm not trying to play off the cuff like I have recently - I wanna know what I'm meant to be doing!

Blackened perhaps? I'd kill to gig that song! :rockon: