aberdeen-music

What if Iraq won?

Mouse

I didn't find it particularly funny, but bloody hell, it's hardly anti-Muslim propoganda like some of you are saying. The reason this stuff gets blown out of proportion is not because of the person who posts it, it's because of the zealot-like PC nonsense that people come out with in reaction to it.

Freedom of speech, eh?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't agree with that. If you don't like something that much, ignore it. If you start criticising someone, it only ever ends up in a long, protracted argument, which brings more and more people into the topic and more and more people get to see the thing you thought so unsuitable in the first place.

At any rate, do you really think people on this forum are so stupid that they can't look at those pictures without wanting to burn an Arab? That's basically what the argument against posting those pictures comes down to.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Care to elaborate?

Not especially, but since you ask, I find it disturbing when the phrase "political correctness" is used as a derogatory term. I don't see what's wrong with being "PC", or, as I prefer to call it, being politically aware. It's just common sense to me.

It's an age-old tactic used by the right-wing gutter press to make people ashamed to be dismissed as being "PC". And I've hardly been a "zealot" about it, just disagreeing with the choice made to put up those pictures. I didn't find them offensive, but I'm sure there's many who would, that's all.

I don't agree with that. If you don't like something that much' date=' ignore it. If you start criticising someone, it only ever ends up in a long, protracted argument, which brings more and more people into the topic and more and more people get to see the thing you thought so unsuitable in the first place.

At any rate, do you really think people on this forum are so stupid that they can't look at those pictures without wanting to burn an Arab? That's basically what the argument against posting those pictures comes down to.[/quote']

Sorry, but if something pisses me off, I am damn well going to say so, as any decent person should.

The argument against posting those pictures comes down to the fact that they are offensive, except perhaps to the typical pie eating tabloid reading subnormal. The only one I don't mind is the last one of george bush, because it's original intent (when it was published years ago) was meant to imply that bush is no different to the muslim extremists. Posted in this context however, it takes on an entirely new meaning which I don't like.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I think people are trying to say maybe its a bit soon mouse' date=' unfortunatly none of them were capable of doing so without their 'high and mighty chip' enabled.

[/quote']

Hardly. It's the ones defending him who seem to be getting ratty here.

For some reason, this quote:

I don't agree with that. If you don't like something that much' date=' ignore it. [/quote']

Made me think of this one:

First they came for the Jews

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists

and I did not speak out

because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left

to speak out for me

By Pastor Niemoller

maybe a bit extreme but you get the point!

/x

fuckin muslims' date='they take all their religious shit way too seriously,yet no-one has proved that god actually exists.thats all im gonna say[/quote']

that could well be the most shocking post i have ever seen on these boards...and RUNE makes posts here for fuck sake, it took a lot of beating but you did it

well done

You are the one who stirred things up' date=' posting this drivel in the first place. If anyone here needs to learn anything it's you, and I think you can safely consider this thread lesson number 1.[/quote']

Go listen to Knight Of Swords, he hit the nail on the head. The only thing I need to learn is to post in the title "stay away if easily offended", for the sake of the people like you who have sleepless nights over this type of thing it seems. Or just don't reply if you don't like it, simple.

Go listen to Knight Of Swords' date=' he hit the nail on the head. The only thing I need to learn is to post in the title "stay away if easily offended", for the sake of the people like you who have sleepless nights over this type of thing it seems. Or just don't reply if you don't like it, simple.[/quote']

You really are quite naive. Please shut up.

mrkSol_photo.jpg

Go listen to Knight Of Swords' date=' he hit the nail on the head. The only thing I need to learn is to post in the title "stay away if easily offended", for the sake of the people like you who have sleepless nights over this type of thing it seems. Or just don't reply if you don't like it, simple.[/quote']

or you could read what people have been trying to put across instead of acting all defensive. no one has made this personal or attacked you they merely questioned the reasoning and point behind posting these pictures which are fairly offensive on a number of levels and show a total lack of understanding regarding iraq, the war and any of the issues surrounding it.

of course you have a right to post this stuff(and the moderators, if they wished, would have a right to delete it, not that i'm suggesting they should) however as you've posted it on a public forum others then have the right to debate your reasons for doing so and if they are in any way amusing. they're not. it's not even that they're offensive but they're not even funny on any level.

it's not being overly pc, it's just acknowledging that as people we can be better than this shit.

Sorry' date=' but if something pisses me off, I am damn well going to say so, as any decent person should.

The argument against posting those pictures comes down to the fact that they are offensive, except perhaps to the typical pie eating tabloid reading subnormal. The only one I don't mind is the last one of george bush, because it's original intent (when it was published years ago) was meant to imply that bush is no different to the muslim extremists. Posted in this context however, it takes on an entirely new meaning which I don't like.[/quote']

And we're now on post #48 of the same subject.

Not especially' date=' but since you ask, I find it disturbing when the phrase "political correctness" is used as a derogatory term. I don't see what's wrong with being "PC", or, as I prefer to call it, being politically aware. It's just common sense to me.

It's an age-old tactic used by the right-wing gutter press to make people ashamed to be dismissed as being "PC". And I've hardly been a "zealot" about it, just disagreeing with the choice made to put up those pictures. I didn't find them offensive, but I'm sure there's many who would, that's all.[/quote']

I didn't specifically mean you, when I used the word "zealot". I don't remember who said what, but a lot of the posts I see in this thread have blown the original pictures completely out of proportion.

The word zealot comes in because I see this kind of thing happen a lot and it repeatedly shows to me that many people who claim to be tolerant are actually the most intolerant towards opinions they disagree with (also this is a school of thought as opposed to individual people). There's a big difference between someone coming on and saying "don't you think that's a bit racist?" to some of the stuff that's been written - personal attacks calling Mouse ignorant, likening him to Nick Griffin etc. Is this a good way to get someone to see your point of view?

I would agree about right-winged tabloids claiming people are PC when they're actually making a valid point. I'll contend that my use of PC was justified in a derogatory sense as the posts I was referring to were PC in a reactionary/ inflammatory sense (not actually designed to reach a conclusion, but rather to let certain people (not you) mouth off about how smart they are). If you notice, there's been a lot more name calling than explaining why this might not be the type of thing someone should post.

I'm not having a go here, it's just the way I see this thread panning out.