aberdeen-music

Power Metal Drummer Wanted!

Bassdemon

man i just fucking love Dragonforce!

I dont think ive ever been so instantly impressed with a band.

But yeh power metal has drifted into my listening specrtrum of late' date=' not before its time i must say im loving it![/quote']

Are you being serious or sarcastic? I really can't tell on the boards! I mean this could just be the biggest run of sarcasm in history, orrr you really do like Dragonforce.

If its the latter, congrats!

I go quicker' date=' mainly 300 on 32nds at the moment.

Try downloading some of the drum mp3's from Mithras , that'll set you right......

I'm heavily into speed, and I do know about fast guys, the likes of (mithras) but I am almost 100% certain you're counting wrong. By my tally, if you were to play 32nds for a whole minute, you would be playing:

32nds at 300 bpm equalling 8 strokes per "click" of a metronome.

I.E. 300 x 8 = 2400 snare hits a minute or 40 a second. To put that into perspective, the current world record is a shy over 1200, or rougly 16ths at 300bpm. Making you twice as fast as the fastest in the world at the moment, Mr Mike Magini. I don't doubt that you're fast, but unless the mistake's on my side, you're counting wrong (or are a ridiculously prodigal speed-player.) I'm fairly sure I'm correct, I am like you, very into fast playing and have been working with metronomes with speed for a long time, as well as analysing other players' speeds and parts during songs.

Well y'see i think you guys are concentrating too much on the technical side of drumming.

Play from the heart not from a metronome.

"By my tally, if you were to play 32nds for a whole minute, you would be playing:

32nds at 300 bpm equalling 8 strokes per "click" of a metronome."

Explain this please .... it may be because im very tired but yeah ...

That's still fast, and a good achievment!

As for what's a metronome?, you really should know if you're playing at those speeds. You may know it as a click track?

Calum, there are four "beats" in a bar. And when playing at 300 bpm you're playing 300 of those "beats." When a metronomeis set to play 300 bpm it's playing the three hundred or 75 bars at that speed. Speed, in this context anyway, is universally measured in 16ths. seeing as the click is currently playing the four beats, we have to put 4 hits to a beat for it to be at 16ths(in relation to a full bar). 4 X 4 = 16. You're then playing 16ths at whatever speed (in this case 300 bpm) and would be playing 4 hits to every beat, I.E., 300 x 4 equalling 1200 hits a minute.

Posted that in a rush' date=' I'd meant 16th's in that context.

PS: How the fuck did I pass higher Maths again?......

PPS: What's a metronome?

PPPS: There's no way I could play it over a full minute (which is the requiste for WFD), I enjoy my alcohol too much for that......[/quote']

HAhaha he can only pull those warp speeds off for the average spike song, 5 seconds prob? hehe :)

But those 5 seconds are not too shabby.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
HAhaha he can only pull those warp speeds off for the average spike song' date=' 5 seconds prob? hehe :)

But those 5 seconds are not too shabby.[/quote']

*bristles*

I'm watching you like a hawk.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
yeh not too shabby but not that great either eh??? thats what your really trying to say isnt it???

(Only joking jake please dont hurt me....)

Haha, here comes Milner, lovable shit-stirring scamp that he is.

Guest Gregor Ascension
Yes a drummer would be nice but continue to post in this thread about all sorts of crap otherwise it will be doomed to slip on to page 2 and be lost forever like all the other drummer wanted threads.

if nothing else, this is good publicity, although mostly irrelevant gob-shite. what happened to your former drummer?

• 1 month later...
I'm heavily into speed' date=' and I do know about fast guys, the likes of (mithras) but I am almost 100% certain you're counting wrong. By my tally, if you were to play 32nds for a whole minute, you would be playing:

32nds at 300 bpm equalling 8 strokes per "click" of a metronome.

I.E. 300 x 8 = 2400 snare hits a minute or 40 a second. To put that into perspective, the current world record is a shy over 1200, or rougly 16ths at 300bpm. Making you twice as fast as the fastest in the world at the moment, Mr Mike Magini. I don't doubt that you're fast, but unless the mistake's on my side, you're counting wrong (or are a ridiculously prodigal speed-player.) I'm fairly sure I'm correct, I am like you, very into fast playing and have been working with metronomes with speed for a long time, as well as analysing other players' speeds and parts during songs.[/quote']

Your maths is spot on....sadly this means that 16th notes at 300bpm is bullshit too. 1200 strokes per min is virtually impossible with the feet.

I saw Virgil Donati, who is one of the world's best exponents of double bass drumming doing a Premier clinic in Aberdeen a few years ago....he played 16th with the feet at ever-increasing tempi, until he couldnt go any faster.....his best was about 220bpm...and he's a freak of nature.

16ths at 220 is, 880 strokes per minute.....which believe me, is breakneck speed.

If the tempo is set to 300bpm, realistically 8th notes is about the only subdivision you'll be able to play evenly....even triplets would be 900 strokes/min ie. very, very, very, very, very difficult.

Your maths is spot on....sadly this means that 16th notes at 300bpm is bullshit too. 1200 strokes per min is virtually impossible with the feet.

I saw Virgil Donati' date=' who is one of the world's best exponents of double bass drumming doing a Premier clinic in Aberdeen a few years ago....he played 16th with the feet at ever-increasing tempi, until he couldnt go any faster.....his best was about 220bpm...and he's a freak of nature.

16ths at 220 is, 880 strokes per minute.....which believe me, is breakneck speed.

If the tempo is set to 300bpm, realistically 8th notes is about the only subdivision you'll be able to play evenly....even triplets would be 900 strokes/min ie. very, very, very, very, very difficult.[/quote']

Yeah, I'll admit 300 is daft. The guy who played over there abouts used doublestrokes, which of course is slightly different. Although I don't want to get onto WFD stuff. And, I do believe you, listening to extreme metal, I'm very familiar with hand and feet speed. Donati is fast, but not the fastest. He is however one of the best players this planet has currently.

However, at the moment a few of the more famous guys in extreme metal are sitting at around 250bpm or a smidgeon faster. Derek Roddy being one of these guys, check him out. He's a monster player all round, and can groove like a bastard. In fact Virgil stated in a recent interview his admiration of Roddy's singles.

I'd also like to state I'm certainly not all about speed, in fact I'm not anywhere near the upwards of 200bpm singles at the moment. As when discussing a matter like it his it often makes you look like a one-dimensional player.