aberdeen-music

overated albums

delboy

Maybe and maybe so but that's the one on the album French Disko mentioned. It is still dreadful though. Typical McCartney whimsical pish ranking alongside The Frog Chorus and Mull Of Kintyre.

Yawn, the tired, lazy, cliches are out again. Every time it's the same songs being picked out. What about Tropical Island Hum another of Macca's kiddies songs...just to freshen things up? Well, I'll trot out Bowie and his Laughing Gnome... boring. Bowie and McCartney have produced much more to be remembered then those songs.

Back to The White Album I prefer Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road myself but I still like to give it a spin coz it's full of change but does overstretch.

As DustyD reminds us George Martin suggested it would be better cut to one LP and there are worse songs on it that Ob La Di Ob La Da. Bunglalow Bill is hardly Lennon at his finest or Goodnight and then there's Don't Pass Me By, Wild Honey Pie of course Revolution No9. However, even at their most excessive they still bettered their rivals and there are superb songs on the remainder.

The major thing for me with all their albums was they didn't repeat themselves and the diversity was breathtaking. Take Macca on the White Album and along side the "whimsical pish" there's Helter Skelter, Back In The USSR and Birthday. I can't think of one song over their career which reminds me of another, whereas now people seemed to be tuned into one style throughout an album or even career...

Re the spoken intro on Goodnight, it's only on the Anthology version as it was quiet rightly cut from the final version...

It's down to taste though innit but 40 years on we're still debating them :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron Maiden - Powerslave + Number Of The Best are always the two pointed out as being there best albums' date=' however Bruce Dickinson wrecks anything he touches - their first album is a record of unadultered genius and all the rest were patchy reworkings of the same song with shit operatic vocals. Run To The Hills? Fuck off.[/quote']

Bawz.

Truly, these are Iron Maiden's two best albums - a few duff tracks on both (thats always the case with Maiden) but the rest are fookin ace, especially Powerslave, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner, Aces High, Hallowed Be Thy Name & 22 Acacia Avenue. Bruce's operatic vocal wanking makes Paul DiAnno sound like shit. Which he is.

Maiden started to really suck after Bruce left, then came back.

But without the hair and spandex it'll never be the same.....

i Absolutely agree about OK Computer. Radiohead dick me off. That whole student angst self-harm shit does my head in. I am not convinced by any of it, he ain't Ian Curtis, he's a middle class kid from Oxford playing at being a fuck-up. They jump on and off the prog-rock bandwagon whenever it suits them too.

For me the most overrated album in the world is Sgt Pepper and the White Album. I think they're both pretty rubbish,. the White Album is facetious, flippant rubbish from a band who were by then getting money for old rope, and the Sgt Pepper thing was indulgent and not what the Beatles were good at, which was simple effective pop. Who honestly likes the middle and climax of Day in the Life? It led to better things and the birth of prog but as a record on its own i think its a bit of a mess and horribly pompous and pretentious. Far more pretentious than anything Floyd, early Genesis or Marillion did and were branded sinners for doing.

(Cockshaft' date=' time for the ignore button........)[/quote']

What is it with Dragonforce & their fans and their inability to construct a decent insult or putdown?

The band themselves are writing the witty "...are gay" under people's names (see here - http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28697) & this individual has resorted to calling me a "cockshaft" because I dared to insult his Heavy Metal Heroes.

The "sit back & wait for the flack" comment was even more tongue in cheek than the original part of my post - I didn't expect anyone to actually be upset & respond.

Still, there you go - I'll try and hold back the tears as I think of the anger directed to me by the local Heavy Metal Kids and hopefully I'll manage to get back home safely after work without The Hordes of Aasgard blocking my route in their faded Manowar t-shirts.

Actually, there's a thought - Manowar. How over-rated. They seem to held in esteem as some sort of "real Metal" band - oops, sorry, "warriors" - when it's plain to all that they're the most homoerotic example of male-on-male worship this side of a Erasure / Jimi Somerville sponsored gay-a-thon.

Yawn' date=' the tired, lazy, cliches are out again. Every time it's the same songs being picked out. What about Tropical Island Hum another of Macca's kiddies songs...just to freshen things up? Well, I'll trot out Bowie and his Laughing Gnome... boring. Bowie and McCartney have produced much more to be remembered then those songs.

Back to The White Album I prefer Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road myself but I still like to give it a spin coz it's full of change but does overstretch.

As DustyD reminds us George Martin suggested it would be better cut to one LP and there are worse songs on it that Ob La Di Ob La Da. Bunglalow Bill is hardly Lennon at his finest or Goodnight and then there's Don't Pass Me By, Wild Honey Pie of course Revolution No9. However, even at their most excessive they still bettered their rivals and there are superb songs on the remainder.

The major thing for me with all their albums was they didn't repeat themselves and the diversity was breathtaking. Take Macca on the White Album and along side the "whimsical pish" there's Helter Skelter, Back In The USSR and Birthday. I can't think of one song over their career which reminds me of another, whereas now people seemed to be tuned into one style throughout an album or even career...

Re the spoken intro on Goodnight, it's only on the Anthology version as it was quiet rightly cut from the final version...

It's down to taste though innit but 40 years on we're still debating them :D[/quote']

Exactly! I like to point out that Macca (and the beatles in general) wrote great rockers as well as some great love and pop songs. His vocals on I've Got A Feeling and Oh!Darling are brilliant and pretty rocky. Yip, he's had a couple dodgy moments but then he is a genius and his bad moments will be as bad as his great moments are great.

Guest bluesxman
Exactly! I like to point out that Macca (and the beatles in general) wrote great rockers as well as some great love and pop songs. His vocals on I've Got A Feeling and Oh!Darling are brilliant and pretty rocky. Yip' date=' he's had a couple dodgy moments but then he is a genius and his bad moments will be as bad as his great moments are great.[/quote']

Christ. Did I say that ALL his songs were shit? No. I said it was an example of the whimsical pish he all too frequently writes. David Bowie had his Laughing Gnome moments yes, but he doesn't veer into that territory with the same frequency as Macca wacky thumbs aloft.

Guest DustyDeviada

Even more amazing is the fact that not only did The Beatles manage to be unquestionably the greatest band ever, but they did it between 1962 and 1970 (in terms of their recorded output).

There's is nobody else who can even come close to such a degree of greatness within an eight year period. Look at the difference between Love Me Do and the Abbey Road medley.

Owning a copy of Nevermind is now more a fashion statement to say "I like rock music' date=' and I like Nirvana and think Kurt Cobain was a genious!" which translates into "I'm so clich, but I don't care because by showing my love for Nirvana people now pretend to like me because I like the same music."

[/quote']

Sigh.

Should I throw my 14 year old CD out then? Heaven forbid people actually think I liked Nirvana back in 1991.

What was I thinking?

And breathe out.

Guest bluesxman

Ok after consideration of my personal disappointments my ones are -

Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

Electric Ladyland - Jimi Hendrix

Disraeli Gears - Cream

Telling Stories - The Charlatans

The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers

Highly Evolved - The Vines

OK Computer - Radiohead

Whats The Story Morning Glory - Oasis

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

You're Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr.

Daydream Nation - Sonic Youth

Love and Theft - Bob Dylan

Talking Heads - Remain In Light

Sigur Ros - ( )

i Absolutely agree about OK Computer. Radiohead dick me off. That whole student angst self-harm shit does my head in. I am not convinced by any of it' date=' he ain't Ian Curtis, he's a middle class kid from Oxford playing at being a fuck-up. They jump on and off the prog-rock bandwagon whenever it suits them too.

[/quote']

?( Radiohead's music has never had anything to do with student angst or self harm. And they have certainly never jumped on the prog-rock bandwagon, which would be pretty hard anyway considering it stopped moving 30 years ago.

For me the most overrated album in the world is Sgt Pepper and the White Album. I think they're both pretty rubbish' date='. the White Album is facetious, flippant rubbish from a band who were by then getting money for old rope, and the Sgt Pepper thing was indulgent and not what the Beatles were good at, which was simple effective pop. Who honestly likes the middle and climax of Day in the Life? It led to better things and the birth of prog but as a record on its own i think its a bit of a mess and horribly pompous and pretentious. Far more pretentious than anything Floyd, early Genesis or Marillion did and were branded sinners for doing.[/quote']

Clutching At Straws or just plain ridiculous? I quite liked Marillion but they along with Genesis have dated badly and were both "horribly pompous and pretentious" throughout their career. I'm told that Marillion have developed into a Beatles slant (late period methinks...) since Hogarth has exerted more influence but ...nah they are still plum.

I like Floyd a lot (70s mainly) but they have produced a huge amount of dross too and it is music for a downer.

Back to A Day In The Life which I heard on the radio only yesterday. That song is better and worth more in every sense than the entire output of Genesis and Marillion. I mean what would have happened if neither of those bands exists...er...nothing I can think of.

?( Radiohead's music has never had anything to do with student angst or self harm. And they have certainly never jumped on the prog-rock bandwagon' date=' which would be pretty hard anyway considering it stopped moving 30 years ago.[/quote']

Surely it would be easier to jump on the bandwagon if it's stationary, no?

Actually' date=' there's a thought - Manowar. How over-rated. They seem to held in esteem as some sort of "real Metal" band - oops, sorry, "warriors" - when it's plain to all that they're the most homoerotic example of male-on-male worship this side of a Erasure / Jimi Somerville sponsored gay-a-thon.[/quote']

GUFFAW!!! Best post of the year!