aberdeen-music

Granite City Guide

soundian

Yeah, I know, not the most inspired name but the best we could come up with.

I need:

Band info: If you have a website, let me know the address, otherwise

give me a short summary of your band, attach photos/images if you like.

Email the info to bands@gcguide.co.uk.

If you don't do this we may have to write about you (This is meant as a threat)

Venue Info: Any venue in Aberdeen which hosts public live events, send me any details you have to hand. I've got most but there are still some out there I've forgotten/overlooked.

Email to venue@gcguide.co.uk

Gig info: I've got the info coming in from most venues but, yet again, there will be ones I miss. Plug the gap.

Email to listing@gcguide.co.uk

I'd rather have the same info 20 times than not at all so don't be shy.

Any queries/comments/suggestions/offers of help to editor@gcguide.co.uk

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much the same with the clubs Ian.

Looks like I'll be doing write-ups on WAX and the new Carnegies Brae venue every month!

I'll spell it out to all bands, DJ's, clubs and indy promoters:

THIS ADVERTISING IS FREE. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SEND ONE EMAIL A MONTH WITH INFO. WE DO THE REST...IT'S SO FUCKING SIMPLE.

Just think, if this guide takes off and space is at a premium, those in it from the beginning will get first refusals.

I think we now know why no-one has done this before' date=' the venues and acts are just as apathetic as the punters.[/quote']

Come on now Ian, be fair. In this day and age surely you should have been going around every single band members doors for the information you need? Bands no longer promote themselves, where have you been? When I play a gig I fully expect the promoter to pick me up from my flat, drive me and kit to venue, unload everything for me and soundcheck., whislt I'm fed grapes by virgins(female). I may even play the gig if I'm in a particularly positive frame of mind but would prefer to stand at the bar and have the audience imagine the spectacle! I don't want to engage with the public because I'm an artist and any discourse may affect my creative tought process...

Get with the times...

You need more than free city wide promotion opportunities these days to get a band off their ass! Try ego massage and tell them that you want the info because they are the best band in Aberdeen!

;):D

Come on now Ian' date=' be fair. In this day and age surely you should have been going around every single band members doors for the information you need? Bands no longer promote themselves, where have you been? When I play a gig I fully expect the promoter to pick me up from my flat, drive me and kit to venue, unload everything for me and soundcheck., whislt I'm fed grapes by virgins(female). I may even play the gig if I'm in a particularly positive frame of mind but would prefer to stand at the bar and have the audience imagine the spectacle! I don't want to engage with the public because I'm an artist and any discourse may affect my creative tought process...

Get with the times...

You need more than free city wide promotion opportunities these days to get a band off their ass! Try ego massage and tell them that you want the info because they are the best band in Aberdeen!

;):D[/quote']

[RANT=soundian]

Silly me. If I wasn't a stubborn bastard this idea would be stillborn (again!). Treat the bands like they're gods and they might deign to send me their website/webpage address so people outside their circle of friends might come along to see them play,Yeah fucking right.

Get off your arses bands/venues/promoters. Your being offered a free service but I'm so close to just saying "Fuck it" and not bothering because I've now realised that it's not the public who is the problem when it comes to promoting gigs, it's the Venues/bands/promoters. If the public have no idea who your band is and what they sound like, why the fuck should they come to your gigs?????? Are gigs on a "need to know" basis in Aberdeen, why is it so difficult to get accurate information from venues and promoters? Why have only two bands out of the multitude on this forum bothered to give me their website/page addresses?

The Guide is running at a loss initially, but I'm prepared to carry that if I get some back-up, otherwise you can all piss and moan as much as you want because you ddin't know band X was playing at venue Y on date Z, but no sympathy will be flowing from us guys. I'm not working my tits off for fun and if you can't give a few minutes of your time to help out by sending me some info, you can wait another ten years for a gig guide.

[/RANT]

My chest feels lighter now, think about what I just ranted though!

Over!

I'm obviously a bit thick because I can't come up with any reason why bands aren't giving me any information. (except for the two who did' date=' thanks guys).

Can anyone enlighten me?[/quote']

Well I only found out about this now, so unless Stroszek are one of the two bands you refer to, I would say obliviousness would be the reason for us at least, and you'll no doubt have at least a third band on your list by the end of the week.

Perhaps other bands are the same? Maybe a mod could sticky the thread?

16again ane o Aiberdeens finest punk rock bands

GING TAE WWW.16AGAIN.CO.UK and ask Colin Response if we have any gigs coming up.

We are Supporting The Sex Pistols Experience at Kef on Sat 29th Oct and we are organising a Joe Strummer night at Tunnels on Friday 16th Dec 8pm-3am Bands/Djs visuals/raffle and prizes galore.

We are also available for headline or supports throughout Scotland give us gigs NOW,cheers Biz.

GING TAE WWW.16AGAIN.CO.UK and ask Colin Response if we have any gigs coming up.

We are Supporting The Sex Pistols Experience at Kef on Sat 29th Oct and we are organising a Joe Strummer night at Tunnels on Friday 16th Dec 8pm-3am Bands/Djs visuals/raffle and prizes galore.

We are also available for headline or supports throughout Scotland give us gigs NOW' date='cheers Biz.[/quote']

TIP!!!!!!

Collate the information yourself then forward it to Ian ye lazy shoite!

:D

The guide is initially looking into bands without websites - hence why info needs to be send.

Thanks

- Sharon

We need the web addresses as well, but we don't plan to get round to writing anything about bands with sites yet. We simply don't have time, and we certainly don't have time to go and see and write about every band who doesn't have one, so biogs if you don't mind please.

A lot of people I've talked to say they don't go to see bands because they don't know what they're like, but since they don't go, they never find out. This is the vicious cicle I'm trying to break with the guide, let people find out a bit about your band and if they like what they see and hear, they might just give it a try at your next gig.

I think I've got 8 bands now, knock yourself out guys.

Guest Bob Double Jack
Just remembered' date=' Aberdeen journals are now charging for their "What's On" listings, 7 a day I believe.[/quote']

this is a disgrace - the amount of people who won't advertise in it has gone thru the roof.

I was 9.50 for a small ad, and did not get staff discount.