aberdeen-music

new alternative show on northsound one! its good!

JJ 10 Easy Wishes

are Girl Said No any good? Don't think I've ever seen them. Always assumed they were just another pub rock band that sounds like Oasis. Pretty predictable they've got a band from free at the dee on I suppose.

Anyway can't compain about some weezer.

wow' date=' sounds like an 80s cheese metal band won the northsound battle of the bands for free at the dee.

this is ace! Like something from a rocky film or transformers: the movie.

what was the band's name again?[/quote']

I think it's Estrella, they got pretty far in the Drummonds Battle of the Bands too, they had home made pyros :rockon:

Badass avatar BTW, good bless Steve Dillon.

Badass avatar BTW' date=' good bless Steve Dillon.[/quote']

Thanks. I don't know much about the preacher comics but there was a link to one of them from a bill hicks thread on another site and someone made it into the hicks avatar you see here.

Northsound 1 Sunday Session 28/08/05

Killers Somebody Told Me

Baby Shambles F Forever

Charlatans Love is the Key

Bloc Party Two More Years

Gorillaz Dare

Hives Main Offender

Amber Life I Lead

Feeder Can't Stand Losing You

El Presidente Without You

The Bravery Honest Mistake

The Kooks Eddies Gun

Weezer Peace

Girl Said No Hard Habit to Break (Live in Studio)

The Bees Chicken Payback

Hard Fi Tied up too Tight

Morning Runner Gone Up in Flames

Franz Ferdinand Take Me Out

Hot Hot Heat Middle of Nowhere

Girl Said No Good Reason (Live in Studio)

Sufferajets Everything you Do

Queens of the Stone Age No One Knows

Embrace Hooligan

Girl Said No Blowing Away

Rinocerose Bitch

Kasabian Cutt Off

Green Day Are We the Waiting

Oasis A Bell Will Ring

The 55's Whatever's Left Between

The Subways With You

Pixies Gigantic

Pixies Debaser

Estrella Going for Glory

Graham Coxon Freak Out

Idlewild Love Steals Us From Lonelyness (Live Rec from Coca Cola Centrestage)

Seahorses You can Talk to Me

Taking a break for Free at the Dee next Sunday, and back on the 11th with Little Kicks.

Killers Somebody Told Me

Baby Shambles F Forever

Charlatans Love is the Key

Bloc Party Two More Years

Gorillaz Dare

Hives Main Offender

Amber Life I Lead

Feeder Can't Stand Losing You

El Presidente Without You

The Bravery Honest Mistake

The Kooks Eddies Gun

Weezer Peace

Girl Said No Hard Habit to Break (Live in Studio)

The Bees Chicken Payback

Hard Fi Tied up too Tight

Morning Runner Gone Up in Flames

Franz Ferdinand Take Me Out

Hot Hot Heat Middle of Nowhere

Girl Said No Good Reason (Live in Studio)

Sufferajets Everything you Do

Queens of the Stone Age No One Knows

Embrace Hooligan

Girl Said No Blowing Away

Rinocerose Bitch

Kasabian Cutt Off

Green Day Are We the Waiting

Oasis A Bell Will Ring

The 55's Whatever's Left Between

The Subways With You

Pixies Gigantic

Pixies Debaser

Estrella Going for Glory

Graham Coxon Freak Out

Idlewild Love Steals Us From Lonelyness (Live Rec from Coca Cola Centrestage)

Seahorses You can Talk to Me

Taking a break for Free at the Dee next Sunday' date=' and back on the 11th with Little Kicks.[/quote']

Im sorry ... well i aint but whoever says that is "Alternative" can go and fucking suck my ring peice right now.

it is just the pop shite replaced with the indie shite nothing alternative there.

ALTERNATIVE = SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN TURN TO , TO GET AWAY FROM THE EVERYDAY SHIT :nono:

thanks for the accolades!! we have had many comparisons but certainly not Oasis usually much more offensive than that.. need to get ourselves some skateboards and a screamer to be good it would seem.

regards the show Al is a decent guy and is trying to push the boundary a bit and create something that will add to the local scene.. something really lacking on Northsound since the dismissal of big Del Franklin. the good thing is he is passionate about his music and really wants to develop the show

fair enough we were asked on to do the opening show because we are playing free at the dee and have a big following (though i wouldnt really class us as alternative) but it is open to all bands.

off air Alan did mention he was really disapointed with the response he had from bands looking to get on the show so if you do play and are able to do it acoustic you should get your cds in.

the set up was pretty decent, we did a session on radio scotland a couple of weeks ago and definitely got more talking time plus as well as getting the 2 live tracks we also got 1 of the tunes off the new cd so it is well worth doing

regards exposure we had 150 pre orders of our cd on our website last night based on the show so must have had a pretty good number of folk listening

looking forward to hearing some quality 'alternative bands' on the show in the coming weeks

I think it's Estrella' date=' they got pretty far in the Drummonds Battle of the Bands too, they had home made pyros :rockon:

Badass avatar BTW, good bless Steve Dillon.[/quote']

Amazing fact... they come from Thurso! i went to school with the singer.

not my thing really, good on them though

need to get ourselves some skateboards and a screamer to be good it would seem.

Going on the acoustic track and the cd track I heard last night I don't think i could say you're a bad band. not my thing maybe but that's about it. Your singer has a great voice and the songs sounded good and tight. Certainly sounded like something that would have mainstream appeal and I can see why you're doing as well as you are just now.

Cheers

one of the most frustrating things in the aberdeen music scene is the backstabbing of bands. a lot of bands spend too much time moaning about what they are not getting compared to bands like us as opposed to actually going out and doing something about it.

the more times we sell out the lemon tree the more times we get slated on sites like these when maybe bands should be looking at how we generate our promotion and get big suport.

we do a lot of gigs all over and more recently a lot down glasgow way and i think the aberdeen music scene is one of the best as there is such a diversity in the music. when you look at the bands that are starting to make a name for themselves and are getting noticed it tells you all you need to know about what the scene. From the more commercial music of ourselves, the acoustic music of the cellers all the way through to bands such as Hot Mangu and Karloff with bands like the wildcards in between you have so many bands playing their own style of music and not trying to fit in with whats going on around them which is quality.

Shows such as Al Lorraines on Northsound in the long run may help break more bands to a wider audience. with regards to it not being alternative enough - so what! it is still opening up a chanel to bands in the scene that wasnt there a week ago. and who knows maybe in the next couple of weeks some real 'alternative' bands will make an effort to get on the programme and then it will be a really 'alternatve' show.

take it easy

i really liked girl said no when i saw them at the lt, as for the show, its ok sayin the set wasnt alternative enough but on the other hand, if this show is going to stay on for a while they have to first get enough listeners every week and i would guess northsound would have been demanding a few 'big' or popular hits in there on the first week to get people listening, i could see the show play alot more alternative music if it manages to be successful over the next few weeks. i agree on the point aswell that all people do on these threads is slag off bands, its ok having a debate but i think we should put some support towards bands who are doing well in aberdeen

Im sorry ... well i aint but whoever says that is "Alternative" can go and fucking suck my ring peice right now.

it is just the pop shite replaced with the indie shite nothing alternative there.

ALTERNATIVE = SOMETHING PEOPLE CAN TURN TO ' date=' TO GET AWAY FROM THE EVERYDAY SHIT :nono:[/quote']

Pahaha, dry your eyes and accept it's an indie show then. Just bad wording. And you don't usually hear the likes of Hot Hot Heat, Queens of the Stone Age and the Pixies on everyday Northsound shows. Having said that, this show could improve an awful lot.

That set list is absolutely dire and would not be out of place any other time on Northsound.

There was/is a metal program on Radio Nan Gaidheal...i can't remeber any details about it, and I don't speak gaelic so I can't check the site to find out if it's still on, but I recall turning it on, hearing a guy blab on in Gaelic, then go "slayer"...cue much confusion when a slayer song was indeed played. I seem to recall the show was pretty decent too - but what the fuck it was doing on Radio Nan Gaidheal is beyond me :|