aberdeen-music

Faust Reschedule Date To Sat 29th Oct

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In 1998 I was a strange little chap. Still shaking the remnants of pounding rave beats out of my lugs and praying that the great miracle would materialise - The Stone Roses would reform and make a better album than their debut. I was into music that I considered pretty god-damn kewl at the time: Gene' date=' Arab Strap, The Lo-fidelity Allstars (Remember their first album? Quality stuff!), Death In Vegas, Mogwai and Radiohead. As far as music was concerned, I was content and happy with my small collection. Then, one sweet little joy filled day, a librarian chap from Glasgow I was talking with recommended an album to me.......that album was Faust IV.

<<snip>>

When I heard The Tunnels were bringing Faust to Aberdeen I was instantly overcome with the fear of someone who cannot believe, be that in ghosts, fairies, monsters, Santa, Jesus Christ, ouija boards or one of the greatest bands in kewl music history playing in the city that I live in. "Faust? Aberdeen? Hah! Hahaha!". So, well done the men and women from The Tunnels!. You deserve a pint, joint and fish supper at least! (my erse is reserved for the librarian!).

[/quote']

Can I suggest that someone contacts the Scottish Education Dept and proposes the content of this post as the framework for a compulsory music syllabus in all schools?

Thanks again so much to IMP and the Tunnels - I also was amazed at the prospect of a Faust gig involving a less than 50 mile round-trip. Ah, fond memories of all-night coffee drinking in Luton Airport waiting for the return Sleazy-jet flight after the infamous 1996 London Garage gig where the non-existent fire-detection system allowed for a spectacular display of arc-welding and pyro-technics.

Please sir, can I have some more? 8o

If the Faust gig was a little more like this i would have been there.

Yeah, I was just mentioning to a few people after the gig on Saturday that the only thing missing was a bunch of perennial indie under-achievers as part of the night. You know, just to augment Faust's pioneering avant-garde tendencies with a bit of sub-Britpop melodies.

Yeah' date=' I was just mentioning to a few people after the gig on Saturday that the only thing missing was a bunch of perennial indie under-achievers as part of the night. You know, just to augment Faust's pioneering avant-garde tendencies with a bit of sub-Britpop melodies.[/quote']

its bad enough faust playing with four tet, but that bunch were abysmal when they supported Pulp. :help:

Maybe they have dramatically improved to being crap??

I wonder how many people will remember British Sea Power in 30 years time?

Good thing the gig isn't in thirty years time, otherwise i'd only know who one of the acts is! :nono: And only fucking old timers and the odd curious or cred-seeking youths care about Faust.

Plus the Pippettes are sexy and anyone who chooses 20 year old avant-garde-ism over sexiness deserves to die.

Good thing the gig isn't in thirty years time' date=' otherwise i'd only know who one of the acts is! [/quote']

I'm confused (aged brain!). Does this mean...

a) You agree that BSP will be forgotten about in 30 yrs (which will be the case)

b) You reckon you'll be prematurely senile, and only able to remember naff bands from yr youth

c) Only BSP will be around 'cos half of Faust will be dead (lie us old-timers?)

:D

I'm confused (aged brain!). Does this mean...

a) You agree that BSP will be forgotten about in 30 yrs (which will be the case)

b) You reckon you'll be prematurely senile' date=' and only able to remember naff bands from yr youth

c) Only BSP will be around 'cos half of Faust will be dead (lie us old-timers?)

:D[/quote']

I'd say it remains to be seen whether or not BSP will be forgotten about in 30 years. But my point is that it doesn't matter one bit whether anyone will remember them in 30 years because none of us are currently living 30 years in future, we are living in the present and a band's longevity makes absolutely no difference to your enjoyment (or otherwise) of them in the present.

So a) is closest i guess. I'm just struck by the ignorance of people who no doubt consider themselves open-minded. I'm just cynical about all you cynics (and i'm not talking about the kitchen variety) who snipe at young and relatively popular bands. My post wasn't an attack on Faust, just merely me saying that while i wasn't quite curious enough to pay the 15 quid to see Faust, it would have been ideal for me if the gig was like the one taking place with British Sea Power, because i would have seen a current band i already like, playing something different, and collaborating with so called "legends" and "genuises". British Sea Power are effectively opening their fans up to other older music they perhaps haven't experienced before. Unfortunately for Faust, their fans are too narrow-minded to allow them to do the same.

I think the thing about Faust is they attract an audience that's anything but narrow-minded. The net cast by Interesting Music is a wide one, covering many varied areas of music.

I think it's great that you're enthusiastic about British Sea Power, but I assumed your earlier post suggested that they would be the only reason to attend, which struck me as narrow-minded in the extreme. However, you make some valid points...I know I write off loads of young popular bands, often without hearing them. Mind you, usually when I hear them they sound like so many other bands it's a bit disheartening.

edit.........I've just realised that such a positive thread is taking a negative turn....apologies for my involvement.

It was one of those oh-so-rare special nights. Yay for IMP!!!!

I'd say it remains to be seen whether or not BSP will be forgotten about in 30 years. But my point is that it doesn't matter one bit whether anyone will remember them in 30 years because none of us are currently living 30 years in future' date=' we are living in the present and a band's longevity makes absolutely no difference to your enjoyment (or otherwise) of them in the present.

So a) is closest i guess. I'm just struck by the ignorance of people who no doubt consider themselves open-minded. I'm just cynical about all you cynics (and i'm not talking about the kitchen variety) who snipe at young and relatively popular bands. My post wasn't an attack on Faust, just merely me saying that while i wasn't quite curious enough to pay the 15 quid to see Faust, it would have been ideal for me if the gig was like the one taking place with British Sea Power, because i would have seen a current band i already like, playing something different, and collaborating with so called "legends" and "genuises". British Sea Power are effectively opening their fans up to other older music they perhaps haven't experienced before. Unfortunately for Faust, their fans are too narrow-minded to allow them to do the same.[/quote']

I agree with the 30 year comment - I'd hate to only listen to bands that have the potential for longevity as it would spoil my enjoyment of the "now". fads / genres / scenes such as baggy, rave, grunge & britpop have thrown up their fair share of losers but that shouldn't detract from "the moment". At the same respec, however, you have to be aware of the transient nature of pop or rock & have to be aware that something you like today could embaress you tomorrow - if Faust return in a few years then I'd be curious to see if you are still asking for BSP or The Pipettes to be included in their line-up.

as for your comment on people being "not open minded" or "cynical" then i'm afraid you are very, very wide of the mark. It's been a long time since I've seen a gig in the manner of Faust and, believe me, it took a very open minded ability on the part of the audience to take in what was happening on stage. I really wish you would have paid that 15 as I swear you would have been raving about it the following day & for weeks to come.

I've got to applaud BSP for collaborating with Faust, however I think it is them, and not faust, that are gaining by the experience. Having seen BSP live on a couple of occasions I've been left underwhelmed by them & if they do open up their fans to a new experience then I think it may be to their detriment rather than anything else as it may show them up to be a bit lacking.

I'm still laughing at your assertion in the last sentence of Faust fans being "narrow minded" - quite possibly the most absurd & unsubstantiated I've ever read in one of your posts, it'll keep me laughing for a while. Certainly the band cannot be accused of being narrow minded as the BSP / Pipettes collaboration & the CD they released with Dalek showing they can mix with anyone.

Like I said, shame you weren't there - I think you'd have enjoyed it and if you didn't then at least you could back up some of your comments with hard facts rather than speculation.

I agree with the 30 year comment - I'd hate to only listen to bands that have the potential for longevity as it would spoil my enjoyment of the "now". fads / genres / scenes such as baggy' date=' rave, grunge & britpop have thrown up their fair share of losers but that shouldn't detract from "the moment". At the same respec, however, you have to be aware of the transient nature of pop or rock & have to be aware that something you like today could embaress you tomorrow - if Faust return in a few years then I'd be curious to see if you are still asking for BSP or The Pipettes to be included in their line-up.

as for your comment on people being "not open minded" or "cynical" then i'm afraid you are very, very wide of the mark. It's been a long time since I've seen a gig in the manner of Faust and, believe me, it took a very open minded ability on the part of the audience to take in what was happening on stage. I really wish you would have paid that 15 as I swear you would have been raving about it the following day & for weeks to come.

I've got to applaud BSP for collaborating with Faust, however I think it is them, and not faust, that are gaining by the experience. Having seen BSP live on a couple of occasions I've been left underwhelmed by them & if they do open up their fans to a new experience then I think it may be to their detriment rather than anything else as it may show them up to be a bit lacking.

I'm still laughing at your assertion in the last sentence of Faust fans being "narrow minded" - quite possibly the most absurd & unsubstantiated I've ever read in one of your posts, it'll keep me laughing for a while. Certainly the band cannot be accused of being narrow minded as the BSP / Pipettes collaboration & the CD they released with Dalek showing they can mix with anyone.

Like I said, shame you weren't there - I think you'd have enjoyed it and if you didn't then at least you could back up some of your comments with hard facts rather than speculation.[/quote']

Liking an "out there" kind of band doesn't make anyone open minded i'm afraid. The hard facts are there. Look at the reaction to me merely mentioning the collaborative gig taking place. People having ago at BSP and I'll bet that most of them don't know anything about the band. And I'll never be embarrassed about once liking a band i no longer like, i'd be much more embarrassed about missing out on great bands because I'm too cool to like any bands who come with certain scenes or fads which come along. And doubt that Faust are arrogant enough to think they are getting nothing from the gig. There's no reason why they can't learn something from younger bands, i think it's to their credit that they are open-minded enough to do such a gig. I never accused Faust of being narrow minded, just some of their fans on this thread.

Liking an "out there" kind of band doesn't make anyone open minded i'm afraid. The hard facts are there. Look at the reaction to me merely mentioning the collaborative gig taking place. People having ago at BSP and I'll bet that most of them don't know anything about the band. And I'll never be embarrassed about once liking a band i no longer like' date=' i'd be much more embarrassed about missing out on great bands because I'm too cool to like any bands who come with certain scenes or fads which come along. And doubt that Faust are arrogant enough to think they are getting nothing from the gig. There's no reason why they can't learn something from younger bands, i think it's to their credit that they are open-minded enough to do such a gig. I never accused Faust of being narrow minded, just some of their fans on this thread.[/quote']

I think the problem is not that people are narrow minded but that they are posting here after witnessing an amazing gig that has left them on a high. You've then come in and said that you feel it would have better to see the BSP collaberation & this has left a few people a bit shocked. Seriously, it's going to be impossible for anyone to "win" this debate as it's going in circles a bit - I just wish you had been there as I'd welcome your comments & it would lead to an interesting debate.

I think the problem is not that people are narrow minded but that they are posting here after witnessing an amazing gig that has left them on a high. You've then come in and said that you feel it would have better to see the BSP collaberation & this has left a few people a bit shocked. Seriously' date=' it's going to be impossible for anyone to "win" this debate as it's going in circles a bit - I just wish you had been there as I'd welcome your comments & it would lead to an interesting debate.[/quote']

The post was a case of me saying that, since i was tempted to go to the Faust gig in the first place, a collaborative gig with BSP would definitely have got me there. Anybody who takes offence to that is pathetic. I was also just trying to inform, i thought Faust fans might just be interested to see they are doing a gig like this.

• 4 months later...