aberdeen-music

Why...

Guest tv tanned

Guest tv tanned
Because this is what kids do. When you're under 18' date=' you go out and try to drink anyway. Who can possibly say that they didn't get that incredible buzz of being 16 and getting in to a club or a bar with your mates whenever you're all underage. Its part of being a teenager and growing up for the vast majority. I'm 20 now but I don't mind seeing underagers in bars as long as they don't act the dick.

Mike[/quote']

so when the pub you frequent has its license revoked because it was serving alcohol to underagers, will you sit back and laugh it off as youthful hi-jinx?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so when the pub you frequent has its license revoked because it was serving alcohol to underagers' date=' will you sit back and laugh it off as youthful hi-jinx?[/quote']

I first got pissed when I was 10 years old, but that was a brief blip. The next time was when I was 14. The a few times when I was 15. But all of those were with stolen gear, either from someone's parents liquor cabinet, or nicked from a shop. Incidentally all those shops have since closed down. By the time I was 16 we had started to buy booze. One incident in particular was a bit like a scene from 'Dazed and Confused', I dressed up in my fathers boiler suit and rig boots, blackened my face, and greased down my hair. Succeeded in convincing the guy working in Spar that I was 18+... only to purchase a 24 can pack of Sweetheart Stout (the Apple Sourz of yesteryear). Around this time my mate started dating a girl with an alchie mum, her mum used to buy booze for us all the time and we drank a lot of Becks and Strongbow.

BUT I WAS NEVER IN A PUB UNTIL I WAS 17, AND NEVER DRANK IN A PUB UNTIL MY 18th BIRTHDAY - SERIOUSLY.

And whilst we are on a serious note... being in a bar underage is only 'cool' whilst you are underage. The minute people turn 18 the presence of 'kids' tends to piss them off. Several of our customers have been complaining about our policy of making our gigs 14 plus. Whilst the underagers were behaving themselves we were happy to allow this to continue... but recently we've caught them blatantly attempting to buy/procure/smuggle drink. So now we are reviewing this policy. Depending on how things go this Saturday then we may choose to make things 18plus (with discretionary entry to friends that are 17 and carrying ID). If that continues to cause problems then we'll make it over 21s only.

So bottom line is that if anyone, be they staff, regular, whatever catches an underager either attempting to purchase alcohol, having alcohol bought for them, or smuggling in alcohol then the 14plus policy is toast. I think that is only fair, and I would encourage other places to do the same.

And if you are 18plus then, unless you look at least 25, I'd STRONGLY advise you to carry ID. I did, and still do, so I don't see what the big deal is about. Every adult should have some form of ID available to them.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
so when the pub you frequent has its license revoked because it was serving alcohol to underagers' date=' will you sit back and laugh it off as youthful hi-jinx?[/quote']

Yes!

Who gives a shit, really?

I'm made of trillions and trillions of molecules and, according to research, your body is renewed every 7 years by a completely different batch of quadrillion molecules. So, effectively, you will BE the bar anyway - you can't miss something that essentially IS you!

Yes!

Who gives a shit' date=' really?

I'm made of trillions and trillions of molecules and, according to research, your body is renewed every 7 years by a completely different batch of quadrillion molecules. So, effectively, you will BE the bar anyway - you can't miss something that essentially IS you![/quote']

erm....sure.

The real question is how can you spot or tell who's underage and who is not? My mate is almost 19 but he looks about 16 at most. Yet, some people who are 16 look about 20. Lets face it, in a lot of places in town it only takes a female to have her tits out a bit and she'll get in to a club. Do you go to the extreme of IDing everyone?

I have to agree with IDing people at gigs when they're 14+. Anyway, if you need to get pissed to sit through the bands that are playing then it doesn't sound like a good gig.

yeh but some times you need the alchohol just to get through a bands set' date=' just ask deadloss i dont think they have ever been sober when they played ;)[/quote']

Heh, we thought about putting a ban on drinking before playing after one band practice. We went for a few drinks to kill some time before hand and then proceeded to play the worst we ever have, but I think we're blaming it on something else...can't remember what.

Guest ()Papaspyrou()

Its entirely the responsibility of the bar if there are underagers in there. If they're too stupid to ID someone who is blatantly underage when they know of the risks of license revoking, then goodbye silly club!

Lets be honest, the chances of this actually happening are EXTREMELY slim. It's along the same lines as 'If you don't buy a TV license we'll fine you 1000'. What they actually mean is 'If you don't buy a TV license, we'll send you 54 (automated) letters, each with a gradually more threatening tone until you do, because our officers can't actually be arsed going round to your house.'

You never really hear about pubs or clubs being shut down for letting in underagers; what some pubs and clubs really need to do is stop employing fucking hooligans for doormen. Regardless of government plans for ID cards, underagers are still going to attempt to go out on the piss, and in most instances are likely to succeed somewhere. Like I said, I don't mind being ID'd at all, but I don't mind underagers as long as they aren't fucking about.

Mike

i got id'd in a restaurant in edinburgh a couple weeks ago, ordering a glenmorangie on the rocks (real underager drink). the restauranteur turned to my parents and asked if i was allowed to have a drink and they said 'of course she is, she's almost 22.' the restauranteur congratulated me. it was ace. i always carry id, because, while getting id'd is pretty infrequent (couple times a year) i know that bouncers didn't believe the 'i left it at home' excuse when i was 15/16 and they certainly won't now.

Guest tv tanned
i got id'd in a restaurant in edinburgh a couple weeks ago' date=' ordering a glenmorangie on the rocks (real underager drink). the restauranteur turned to my parents and asked if i was allowed to have a drink and they said 'of course she is, she's almost 22.' the restauranteur congratulated me. it was ace. i always carry id, because, while getting id'd is pretty infrequent (couple times a year) i know that bouncers didn't believe the 'i left it at home' excuse when i was 15/16 and they certainly won't now.[/quote']

no wonder, only an inexperienced youngster would put ice in a Glenmorangie :rolleyes:

Lets be honest' date=' the chances of this actually happening are EXTREMELY slim. It's along the same lines as 'If you don't buy a TV license we'll fine you 1000'. What they actually mean is 'If you don't buy a TV license, we'll send you 54 (automated) letters, each with a gradually more threatening tone until you do, because our officers can't actually be arsed going round to your house.'

[/quote']

thats all wrong

i girl in my halls got fined cause they came round and she was watching her tv with no licence. it wasnt the full 1000, it was 300, and she was told it would be more if she didnt fix it by 3 days later