aberdeen-music

Sigur Ros last night

RossP

Wow, i cannot believe how flawless the singer's voice was. Not one bum note, and he was completely captivating all through the set. They played most of ( ) and a couple of the better songs from the earlier album, and about 4 new songs. The new songs ranged between absolutely incredible, and a bit disappointing like Ba Ba Ti Ki Di Do -esque. The light show was also pretty amazing, especially during the last song.

Shame about the usual knobheads who speak through the entire set. Here are some choice comments i heard from various conversations going on around me....

"Did you hear Dougie's wee girl is getting married tomorrow?"

"Did you watch that Live8 thing? Scissor Sisters were great, eh?"

"When is it you start at that new job? how much money is that you'll be on now?"

Fucking arseholes. And they thought i was the inconsiderate one for telling them to fuck off to the back of the venue if they wanted to talk about fucking Scissor sisters

Support band were instantly forgetable

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry but I just don't get this whole thing with this band.Maybe give me some songs with actual words and lyrics and I might reconsider but at the moment their just shit.If I wanted to listen to just music I'd go get a cd out of the ambient section of a store or go into one of those shops with the dolphin noise cds

Guest Page 99

They do have lyrics, although I don't think they are in any particular language. I'm sure I read that the band basicly made up an entire language of their own just for the music.

Sorry but I just don't get this whole thing with this band.Maybe give me some songs with actual words and lyrics and I might reconsider but at the moment their just shit.If I wanted to listen to just music I'd go get a cd out of the ambient section of a store or go into one of those shops with the dolphin noise cds

deary me, open your ears lad.

I've listened to about 4 songs by them and none seemed to have lyrics.Their music just seemed dull to me.I am willing to reconsider if someone would be so kind as to point me in the direction of songs you'd recommend, singles or anything.I'll give them another go if you can give me songs to listen to with lyrics.

It was a pretty good gig but someone really needs to sort out the air ventilation/conditioning problem at the Carling Academy. It was unbearably hot at times and I've been to a lot of hot gigs in my time. There was certainly a busy paramedic wandering around the venue so I assume some people must have really been feeling it at the front.

I'm being picky but I think they played too much new stuff in their set. Would I be correct in thinking the new album is still not out yet? Don't get me wrong, the new stuff sounded great but I just couldn't get into it having never heard it before. The encore was just perfect though and the gig made for an amazing contrast to the NIN gig the night before.

Quite a nice combination of gigs for me. :)

I can answer a few of those questions....

-The lyrics are a made up language which the band call "Hopelandic", none-the-less lyrics can be found on their site.

-I think they played track 5 + 6 from ( ) as well, but cant be too sure as the constant driving in the last few days has played havoc with my memory

- The new album is out on September 12th, a download single is available on Aug 15th

Yeah sigur ros was very nice. those weegee fuckers who talked through the sets were arseholes. I've been to the carling academy twice, it's always warm just so they can get more profits from drink sales . That really isn't right. Oh and yeah the security guys are assholes, the more i see them, the less they impress me. I really do think they detract the enjoyment of

a gig due to their macho attitudes

what sigur ros stuff have you heard? going by your description you maybe heard some tracks of their first album von which apart from a few tracks is pretty ambient and not that good.

Haha, you did seem less than enthusiastic today when Sarah mentioned I'd been to see them...:music:

Anyway...Stunning, stunning gig. Highlight was probably Vaka or the end bit of Olsen Olsen (or indeed, when they played #8 as an encore...). Jonsi's voice was on top form and the sound was totally immense. The place was fucking roasting tho, must have lost a stone in sweat. New stuff was cool, particularly the 'dancier' one they played about halfway through...incidently, they did only play 1,4 and 8 of the ( ) album. Fucking cool stencils for the shirts as well.

And they thought i was the inconsiderate one for telling them to fuck off to the back of the venue if they wanted to talk about fucking Scissor sisters

Scissor Sisters maybe a cartoon band, but they are a thousand times more worthy than Sigur Ros. I guarantee every one who buys into Sigur Ros' whole "beautiful" thing will one day feel like an idiot for having done so

Scissor Sisters maybe a cartoon band' date=' but they are a thousand times more worthy than Sigur Ros. I guarantee every one who buys into Sigur Ros' whole "beautiful" thing will one day feel like an idiot for having done so[/quote']

You are utterly fucking shite, and totally rubbish. Sigur Ros are so...so...so.. good live, and the fact that you hold scissor arseholes in such a high regard, shows that i am the best and you are the worst. You are shit.

Scissor Sisters maybe a cartoon band' date=' but they are a thousand times more worthy than Sigur Ros. I guarantee every one who buys into Sigur Ros' whole "beautiful" thing will one day feel like an idiot for having done so[/quote']

so whit, you are shit.

Guest bluesxman

Agaetis Byrjun is far superior to ( ). I can't listen to that album, such a disappointment. Saw them supporting GYBE at the Lemon Tree, fantastic.

You are utterly fucking shite' date=' and totally rubbish. Sigur Ros are so...so...so.. good live, and the fact that you hold scissor arseholes in such a high regard, shows that i am the best and you are the worst. You are shit.[/quote']

Just the sort of aggresive response I expected from someone who sits in the Tunnels supping his Tennents, sporting hair the shortest it can be without being a skinhead, and scowling at anyone who dare disturb him while concentrating on another extended quiet part by another post-rock "beauty" merchant

I have no particular respect for Scissor Sisters other than the respect I have for any band who recognises that pop is for dancing to, for singing along to, for exciting and for inspiring flamboyance. If you want beauty, attend a classical concert. There you will also get actual music, rather than Sigur Ros' non-descript noise

Just the sort of aggresive response I expected from someone who sits in the Tunnels supping his Tennents' date=' sporting hair the shortest it can be without being a skinhead, and scowling at anyone who dare disturb him while concentrating on another extended quiet part by another post-rock "beauty" merchant

I have no particular respect for Scissor Sisters other than the respect I have for any band who recognises that pop is for dancing to, for singing along to, for exciting and for inspiring flamboyance. If you want beauty, attend a classical concert. There you will also get actual music, rather than Sigur Ros' non-descript noise[/quote']

quite harsh i think but you are entitled to that opinion, i love sigur ros but it doesnt mean that because i like it then other people will like it. i suppose if you are soo into a band there is no questions about if they are shite....personally i thought they were amazing and very ambient.

LIKE THEM OR ILL BREAK YOUR KNEE CAPS!!

While i don't agree with Mariner in that i don't think music necessarily is for dancing to and singing along to, i think a lot people would consider the fact that you can't do either to Sigur Ros some kind of credible attribute to have. A lot of Sigur Ros fans are no better than someone who suddenly likes whatever the latest NME hyped band is in order to look cool because they like Sigur Ros in an attempt to appear more high brow and detached from popular music. Hence my hipster comments. The same applies for many Mogwai fans and Mogwai themselves.