aberdeen-music

Smoking

soundian

You see I don't understand this. If the government refuses to ban smoking then it is either because they don't think smoking is harmful, or they respect the right of the person to choose what they inhale into their lungs (as long as it can be taxed of course). Now obviously this ban would suggest that the government does believe that smoking is harmful (woo) So why not adopt the same stance on this issue. Why not leave it up to the places themselves to decide whether to impose a ban or not? If there is such a mass of people crying out for a ban then surely there is a market for no-smoking pubs. I rarely smoke, but I am not overly bothered about it, and I like the fact that if I feel like it, i can. What pisses me off is people smoking on sunny days. What the hell is that about?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If smoking was banned it would probably become more popular. People don't like being told what they can or cannot do to their bodies. If it's ok for someone to stick a 13" dildo up their arse its ok to inhale deathsticks in my book.

Fuckin' ace! I think people have a right choose what they do and don't do, but I am totally for this. As a non smoker I can't fucking stand the fact that I have to inhale the shite in pubs, if people wanna smoke and fuck their health, fine, it's their choice, but I don't want to have my health fucked through passive smoking....

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

culled from the beeb :

The Office for National Statistics recently indicated that 30% of non-smokers said they would visit a pub more often if smoking was restricted, while only 12% of smokers said they would visit less often.

The finding was based on a survey of 3,555 people across the UK.

The statistics also revealed that between 1996 and 2004, the percentage in favour of smoking restrictions also increased from 85% to 91% in restaurants, from 82% to 93% in other public places, and from 81% to 88% in the workplace.

It also discovered that 73% of current smokers said they would like to give up smoking and 55% said they intended to give up smoking in the next year.

I must admit it is a good idea. This coming from a smoker.

I'm sure you vocalists out there might find your lives much easier when gigging after the ban?

I don't mind going outside for a smoke. I do it at home and at work anyway.

One thing worth mentioning though, will it not increase drunken violence on the streets? With people all huddling outside each and every pub for a smoke?

Guest ()Papaspyrou()
Fuckin' ace! I think people have a right choose what they do and don't do' date=' but I am totally for this. As a non smoker I can't fucking stand the fact that I have to inhale the shite in pubs, if people wanna smoke and fuck their health, fine, it's their choice, but I don't want to have my health fucked through passive smoking....

Andy[/quote']

As a smoker, I find it deeply irritating that pussies with shitty lungs can't hack a little blowback and go about dying left right and centre.

www.againstanoutrightban.com supports the following

1. Smoking be BANNED at the bar counter in all licensed premises

2. Smoking be BANNEd in any area where and when hot food is served

3. Smoking be BANNED in any area from which the public is excluded (kitchens etc)

4. Licencsed Premises MUST allocate:

30% of total floor space to a non-smoking area in year one.

40% in year two

50% in year three

This would be followed by a further review

5. Licensed premises MUST display a smoking policy at the entrance in order that customers can see the facilities available before they enter

You can support this at the website, i did

i'll miss smoking in nightclubs if they take that away though.

i love smoking' date=' its probably one of my favourite things ever. [/quote']

if you are not kidding, that's quite a sad wee statement...

the best thing in your life is smoking ?...

fuck me, apple and mango smoothies would piss on that no doubt.

what about poppin yer nuts off ? that has to be one of my favourite things in life.

each to their own.

www.againstanoutrightban.com supports the following

1. Smoking be BANNED at the bar counter in all licensed premises

2. Smoking be BANNEd in any area where and when hot food is served

3. Smoking be BANNED in any area from which the public is excluded (kitchens etc)

4. Licencsed Premises MUST allocate:

30% of total floor space to a non-smoking area in year one.

40% in year two

50% in year three

This would be followed by a further review

5. Licensed premises MUST display a smoking policy at the entrance in order that customers can see the facilities available before they enter

You can support this at the website' date=' i did[/quote']

See... I agree with that.

I wouldn't class myself as a smoker any longer due to the fact I rarely smoke now (months between cigarettes now) but that's more down to my other half's attitude towards smoking - hates it with a fierce passion - and it's much easier for me not to and save any arguments or him keeping a mass distance from me or whatever.

Anyways, I'm against the outright band... I do enjoy the odd cigarrette (so technically, to save argument... I am a smoker)

However... my argument about the right to smoke... is that it - until recently - was an accepted part of society. If people have a problem with someone parting in a legal activity... then fair enough... I don't go up to girl's who are exposing mass quantities of wobbling orange peel and tell them they are damaging me mentality and ruining my night... they have the right to look like monsters... so that's fine.

There is the health issue, which is a fair point, but I can't see why they don't just make seperate areas. As for workers in bars.... they are aware of the situation they work in before they take the job, it's like a builder saying "I'm not lifting that, I might hurt my back" it's part of the job, so deal with it... there are other jobs that exist.

I am, however, totally for a 100% ban in restaurants.

In bars/clubs... just make a seperate area. Easy. Then everyone is happy.

Guest tv tanned

MYTH 1. A smoking ban in enclosed public places is an infringement of the individual's freedom of choice.

FACT: Approximately 70% of the UK adult population do not smoke. Under the current system non-smokers are denied the freedom mto go about their business in smoke free environments.

The failure to deliver smoke free public places and workplaces puts lives at risk from exposure to the deadly effects of second hand smoke.

A recent article by K Jamrozik in the BMJ estimated that around 30 people a day die of the effects of passive smoking.

If all public places and workplaces were made smoke free then everyone would have the freedom to breathe air free of smoke. Seven in 10 smokers say they want to be able to choose not to smoke anymore, but their addiction makes it harder to give up. Research shows that in areas where smoke free legislation is in place, smokers find it easier to quit, and young people are less inclined to take up the habit.

MYTH 2. A smoking ban in pubs would discriminate against smokers

FACT: With the proven adverse effects of second hand smoke, continuing to allow smoking in some enclosed public places and not others discriminates against workers. The low-paid workforce of bars, cafes and restaurants has no choice but to inhale second hand smoke while carrying out their job. Their health is put at risk.

Smoke free legislation does not deny smokers the right to smoke in unrestricted areas, whereas the current legislation fails to protect non-smoker workers from breathing in second hand smoke with no alternative.

MYTH 3: No large and reliable scientific study has concluded that there is any danger to a non-smoker from passively inhaling tobacco smoke.

FACT: It is widely accepted that second hand smoke harms health. The International Agency for Research on Cancer reviewed all the available evidence on second-hand smoke and cancer. This independent panel of international scientists from 12 countries, and convened by the WHO, concluded that second hand smoke is carcinogenic to humans and exposure to other people's smoke increases the risk of lung cancer in non-smokers by 20-30% and coronary heart disease by 25-35%

In 1998 the Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health concluded that exposure to second hand smoke causes lung cancer and heart disease in adult non-smokers, and a variety of conditions including respiratory disease, cot death and middle ear disease in children.

In 2004 the Committee publisjhed an additional report which conluded that knowledge of the health hazards associated with exposure to passive smoking has been consolidated over the past five years and the recent evidence strengthens earlier estimates of the magnitude of health risks.

MYTH 4: The smoking ban will result in more smokers smoking in the home, and will therefore expose more children to the dangers of passive smoking.

FACT: There is no evidence to support claims that the smoke-free law in Ireland has resulted in greater exposure to second hand smoke in the home, in fact it tends to be that smoke free legislation helps encourage smokers to quit. Thus when fewer adults smoke, children's exposure is reduced.

International evidence suggests that exposure in the home is not an issue with smoke free legislation. In Australia, the proportion of family homes where some form of smoking restriction was in place rose from 25% to 59% follwing the introduction of a ban.

In California, the proportion of children living in smoke free homes increased from 38% in 1992 to 82.2% in 1999.

MYTH 5: A ban on smoking in pubs would lose thousands of jobs in the hospitality industry.

FACT: A reprot from the Irish Central Statistics Office revealed that in November 2004 (seven months after the ban was introduced) bar sales were down just 2.8% compared to the previous year, The decrease in the year before was 7.1%. Scare stories about the Irish hospitality industry should be viewed in the context of the long term trend in Irish bar sales.

In Norway in 2003 386 businesses in the bars, pubs and restaurants sector went bankrupt. In 2004, the year the ban was introduced the figure was 372.

The failure to deliver smoke free public places and workplaces puts lives at risk from exposure to the deadly effects of second hand smoke.

If all public places and workplaces were made smoke free then everyone would have the freedom to breathe air free of smoke. Seven in 10 smokers say they want to be able to choose not to smoke anymore' date=' but their addiction makes it harder to give up. Research shows that in areas where smoke free legislation is in place, smokers find it easier to quit, and young people are less inclined to take up the habit.

[/quote']

I consider all comments on "workplaces" as void. Nobody HAS to work in a bar or restaurant. It is their choice to do so and they are aware of the enviroment when they take the job. If they have a problem with it, they have the freedom to work elsewhere.

Guest tv tanned
I consider all comments on "workplaces" as void. Nobody HAS to work in a bar or restaurant. It is their choice to do so and they are aware of the enviroment when they take the job. If they have a problem with it' date=' they have the freedom to work elsewhere.[/quote']

Like where?

Like where?

To me it's like someone with epilepsy working in a night club... don't do it if it's going to cause you problems.

There are countless jobs... all sorts of places of work have either a no smoking policy or having smoking areas that no member of staff ever has to go into... shops, offices, workshops, hospitals, trainstations, airports.

Literally millions of jobs.