aberdeen-music

Smoking

soundian

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil ex
The problem is' date=' there's a huge amount of unhealthy, obese people in Scotland who smoke. And when they die, they say "oh he was a smoker, that's another person dead because of smoking".

They miss out the fact he was a useless fat bastard, who ate junk and drank like a fish.[/quote']

What about the thin smoker who died of lung cancer?

What are you trying to say?

Guest bluesxman

Smokers always argue that non-smokers have the choice not to go to smoking allowed pubs and stay at home and drink. Because let's face it what other choice is there without a ban on smoking in pubs? Non-smokers can now argue that smokers can choose not to go to non-smoking pubs and stay at home and drink. Straight swap over of situation. I've been in Dublin recently, can't say the smoking ban exactly affected the pub trade that I saw.

You all gonna stop going to gigs cos you can't have a fag?

Signed, an ex-smoker :cheers:

Guest tv tanned

so a few pubs will go out of business, boo fucking hoo, most of them are shiteholes anyway.

I really fucking tire of the selfish tirade of the smoker, who thinks he/she should have some inalienable right to pollute my lungs just because I happen to be in the same area as them enjoying a sociable pint. What a pile of shit.

It's a simple balance of rights, people's right to enjoy clean air absolutely overwhelms the right of individuals to smoke.

As for this facile notion that other things can kill you, yes that is true, other things can and do kill people. Usually because of the actions of selfish and stupid individuals, i.e. drink drivers.

There's a mighty big difference between being knocked down by a bus because the driver made a mistake, or you forgot the stuff they taught you in the Tufty Club, and being slowly poisoned because of the fact that some people are so weak they allow themselves to become addicted to nicotine. Boo fucking hoo, cry me a fucking river. Nobody ever smoked for the first time and thought, mmmmm this tastes so nice, I think I'll do it again.

Shite, they hack and they cough and they go 'gads min that was fucking minging'. Yet they have the lack of cranial capacity to put two and two together, and take it up as a habit, then blinding themselves to the overwhelming scientific evidence that it is linked to a vast array of illnesses. Some terminal.

People can buy the bullshit of the TMA and other vested interests. I prefer to listen to the health professionals. Who, by the way, voted overwhelmingly in favour of a smoking ban yesterday at the BMA conference. Anyone gonna tell me that doctors don't know what they're talking about?

This bollocks about the nanny state as well, I mean just fuck off. It is entirely appropriate that we seek to protect the health of the majority of people. It is entirely unfair that children are taken into smoking sections of restaurants, that pub workers who don't smoke should have to put up with people smoking and that ordinary punters cannot enjoy a pint without going home with a cough, sore throat, or clothes reeking of smoke. The primary purpose of these establishments is to serve food or alcohol, not to allow people to smoke. Simple.

Guest tv tanned
The problem is' date=' there's a huge amount of unhealthy, obese people in Scotland who smoke. And when they die, they say "oh he was a smoker, that's another person dead because of smoking".

They miss out the fact he was a useless fat bastard, who ate junk and drank like a fish.[/quote']

Yes but when he ate a burger, the man next to him didn't put on weight.

And when he drank lager, the man next to him didn't get pissed.

Guest tv tanned
so do smokers not have any rights to smoke if they want to.is it not choice.and as for pubs going out of business if you owned one or depended on its income i think you would care wouldnt you.

1. Yes they have a right to smoke, but it should not over-ride the right of people to good ehalth and breatjing clean air. There's plenty of space outdoors to enjoy in your filthy habit.

2. If the choice is between personal profit and public health, I'll take public health.

This bollocks about the nanny state as well' date=' I mean just fuck off. It is entirely appropriate that we seek to protect the health of the majority of people. It is entirely unfair that children are taken into smoking sections of restaurants, that pub workers who don't smoke should have to put up with people smoking and that ordinary punters cannot enjoy a pint without going home with a cough, sore throat, or clothes reeking of smoke. The primary purpose of these establishments is to serve food or alcohol, not to allow people to smoke. Simple.[/quote']

So about 80% of Scottish people indicated that they didn't favour an outright ban in pubs and clubs and you say it's not a nanny state. I'll tell you what else it isn't: Democratic. The government asked, the people spoke, the people got ignored.

Guest tv tanned

really? 80%? I don't seem to recall that one. Perhaps you could post a link? I'm not doubting you, but I'd be interested.

So on that basis then, we'd better bring back public executions, name and shame paedophiles, repeal homosexual rights and anything else which isn't supported by a majority?

really? 80%? I don't seem to recall that one. Perhaps you could post a link? I'm not doubting you' date=' but I'd be interested.[/quote']

"The Scottish Executive conducted a public survey, the results of which showed that three-quarters of the Scottish public were against the ban where it was being applied to Scottish pubs.

From here

I'm sure you can find out more now you know I'm not bullshitting, even though you never doubted my word.

So on that basis then' date=' we'd better bring back public executions, name and shame paedophiles, repeal homosexual rights and anything else which isn't supported by a majority?[/quote']

Really, the majority of people think we should do those things. I find that hard to believe.

Guest tv tanned

hanging gets a majority any time there's an opinion poll.

naming and shaming got a majoirty if you recall, back in the days after Sarah Payne's murder.

if we'd listened to the "majority" then section 28 would not have been repealed, and the advance toward equality for homosexuals would never have happened.

A poll yesterday showed 56% support for the ban. I'm not suggesting that the man who founded an anti-smoking ban political party is lying, I'm suggesting that maybe public mood has shifted?

And I didn't doubt you, so stop being your usual smart-arse.

because of the fact that some people are so weak they allow themselves to become addicted to nicotine. Boo fucking hoo' date=' cry me a fucking river. Nobody ever smoked for the first time and thought, mmmmm this tastes so nice, I think I'll do it again.

.[/quote']

thats the first time i have ever seen you talking total bollocks, well done.

hanging gets a majority any time there's an opinion poll.

naming and shaming got a majoirty if you recall' date=' back in the days after Sarah Payne's murder.

if we'd listened to the "majority" then section 28 would not have been repealed, and the advance toward equality for homosexuals would never have happened.

A poll yesterday showed 56% support for the ban. I'm not suggesting that the man who founded an anti-smoking ban political party is lying, I'm suggesting that maybe public mood has shifted?

And I didn't doubt you, so stop being your usual smart-arse.[/quote']

People are scarier than I thought. Maybe band members aren't such bad people after all.

The REAL point was that about 76% of people in the SCOTTISH EXECUTIVES OWN survey, the one they held to gauge public opinion were against the ban in pubs.

Guest tv tanned
Why' date=' to vote in another lot with similar attitudes towards the people they are paid and elected to serve.[/quote']

Or they could just not bother to vote, which most of them probably will anyway.

Guest neil ex

I'll be honest and say I started smoking at a young and naive age because my friends did. I'm not a weak person for that though. It's part of growing up, kids aren't mature adults. Everyone makes mistakes growing up..