aberdeen-music

Smoking

soundian

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tv tanned

oh, and if you can look in tomorrow's evening paper and find enough jobs (which would not involve coming into contact with second hand smoke, and would require roughly the same level of qualifications/skills that the average bar/rastaurant/nightclub staff member needs) to go round all the non-smokers who work in these places, I'll be impressed.

Not every non-smoker hates smoke. All my jobs have been in non-smoking enviroments and have been easy to get to go with even my old school hours.

There are more shops than there are bars I think you'll find.

Guest tv tanned
Not every non-smoker hates smoke. All my jobs have been in non-smoking enviroments and have been easy to get to go with even my old school hours.

There are more shops than there are bars I think you'll find.

It does not matter if they don't 'hate it' the fact is that it is harmful to them.

Some people are not lucky enough to get work in a shop, because there really aren't enough jobs allow everyone to be picky, unless you want to reverse your logic and say that jobs in a non-smoking environment should be reserved for non-smokers?

It does not matter if they don't 'hate it' the fact is that it is harmful to them.

Some people are not lucky enough to get work in a shop' date=' because there really aren't enough jobs allow everyone to be picky, unless you want to reverse your logic and say that jobs in a non-smoking environment should be reserved for non-smokers?[/quote']

Not at all, I'm just saying that they know what the enviroment is like when they take the job... they don't have to take the job... or even apply for it. It comes with the job and they should accept it.

Guest tv tanned

Your statement would be true, if the job market was able to cope with such expressions of personal choice, however because we do not specify that jobs are suitable only for smokers or those who 'don't mind passive smoking' then your thesis is bollocks.

Just why should people not apply for a job, which could pay them through uni or help to feed their child, simply so people can smoke indoors? Just why is it so bloody important?

Apply for another fucking job... It's piss easy, especially in a city like Aberdeen with such low unemployment.... like I said, in the majority of jobs that are available in the UK you are NOT exposed to cigarrette smoke... so it would be easy enough to not work in a bar.

It's like working in a vet then complaining that you don't like cats... well guess what? in vets... you get cats... deal with it.

Guest tv tanned

right, but you're still not quite grasping this one.

There are only so many jobs to go round, and if the majority of the adult population are non-smokers, as they are, then inevitably they are not ALL going to be able to get jobs where they do not come into contact with smoke. Particularly when there are also people who DO smoke in the job market as well, very often taking up some of these supposedly 'non-smoker friendly' jobs, as they are entitled to do.

In fact, usually the people working in these sorts of venues are the people who lack the necessary qualifications and experience to be flexible in the job market.

And having had to resort to working in a smoky bar because I could not find a job in a shop/supermarket/hospital/other example you used, I know for a fact you are talking out your arse on this.

It is really not that difficult a concept to understand Sharon, and I am surprised that you are struggling so much.

right' date=' but you're still not quite grasping this one.

There are only so many jobs to go round, and if the majority of the adult population are non-smokers, as they are, then inevitably they are not ALL going to be able to get jobs where they do not come into contact with smoke. Particularly when there are also people who DO smoke in the job market as well, very often taking up some of these supposedly 'non-smoker friendly' jobs, as they are entitled to do.

In fact, usually the people working in these sorts of venues are the people who lack the necessary qualifications and experience to be flexible in the job market.

And having had to resort to working in a smoky bar because I could not find a job in a shop/supermarket/hospital/other example you used, I know for a fact you are talking out your arse on this.

It is really not that difficult a concept to understand Sharon, and I am surprised that you are struggling so much.[/quote']

I am not talking about ALL non-smokers... only the percentage who seem to have a mass hate for the atmosphere. If they hate it so much, get another job.

I'm not talking about people like me who couldn't give a damn if people were smoking around me in a bar.

I am not talking about ALL non-smokers... only the percentage who seem to have a mass hate for the atmosphere. If they hate it so much' date=' get another job.

I'm not talking about people like me who couldn't give a damn if people were smoking around me in a bar.[/quote']

I look at this way, if someone wants to work in bar then they should expect there to be smoking. But i think this is wrong and unnacceptable and i'm glad the ban will change this.

Guest neil ex

Erm some people don't have the luxury of being able to pick and choose jobs.. Some people HAVE to work in smokey environments whether they like it or not.. It's not as simple as finding another job - there aren't infinite jobs available..

Guest tv tanned
Erm some people don't have the luxury of being able to pick and choose jobs.. Oh I'll hold on another few weeks until I find a different job.. Some people HAVE to work in smokey environments whether they like it or not.. It's not as simple as finding another job..

I did try to point this out but...

Erm some people don't have the luxury of being able to pick and choose jobs.. Some people HAVE to work in smokey environments whether they like it or not.. It's not as simple as finding another job - there aren't infinite jobs available..

That is their problem though for either being unskilled or unwilling to relocate.

Guest neil ex
It's aberdeen for god's sake... you see vacancies in shop windows everyday.

Not as simple as that for everyone..

Anyway, I thought the ban was happening all across Scotland.

Guest neil ex
That is their problem though for either being unskilled or unwilling to relocate.

What about people that work to support training?

People that aren't capable of being 'skilled up'?

Guest tv tanned
This ban cannot come quick enough. The arguments will go on until we're all blue in the face' date=' but all I can say is 'mon next March.[/quote']

With you all the way there!

*high fives*

This ban cannot come quick enough. The arguments will go on until we're all blue in the face' date=' but all I can say is 'mon next March.[/quote']

yeah I'm really looking forward to the future, where you cant smoke anywhere, there is cctv installed in everyones houses and you cant buy a pint of milk without showing your ID card. :rolleyes:

yeah I'm really looking forward to the future' date=' where you cant smoke anywhere, there is cctv installed in everyones houses and you cant buy a pint of milk without showing your ID card. :rolleyes:[/quote']

cheer up, you'll still be able to look at 'grumble' on line...

it's amazing, how bulligerent smokers can be, and yet, the "non smokers" who are just as passionate about NOT smoking, NOT breating in stinking second hand smoke, BEING fit, HAVING healthy lungs are called "whingers"...

I love my bill hicks, but that's the one thing I disagreed with him on...

he's whinging about wanting to smoke just as much as I whinge about not wanting to smell his smoke!

tell all the nippers who are forced to start smoking because of peer pressure that they'll turn into boring farts who only ever want to "save our smoking".

how many adults start smoking because it's "cool" or "hey, that looks like fun, I'll look hard if I smoke".

can't be for health reasons, so why and how do people start, if they hadn't starte din school / under age ?