aberdeen-music

Smoking

soundian

I think at the end of the day a total smoking ban is stupid....

I believe that people do have a right to clean air in a bar area and that non-smokers shouldnt be punished for being in a smoking enviroment...

But at the same time' date=' smoking isnt illegal and the goverment give you the right of choice to smoke after the age of 16, therefore wouldnt the easiest solution being that there should be a proper smoking area in all pubs/clubs/indoor-area of any sort that is well ventilated to prevent smoke leaking into non-smoking areas....it doesnt have to be big...just enough so when you feel the need to have a fag you just nip into the smoking area...no harm done to anyone but yourself and fellow smokers....

And also i read on a beer mat last night that 83% of people in scotland were against a total smoking ban, survey was done by the Scottish Exec....

They should listen to what the people want....smokers arent all cretins and im sure that 99% of smokers would be in favour of a small smoking area in indoor places[/quote']

Dont you mean, 83% of the Smoking population in scotland which is about 27% of the actual scottish population. Therefore meaning in reality only 22.41% of the scottish population are against a total smoking ban and the other 77.59% are for, a total ban of smoking in public places.

About 19% of the population in scotland according to the 2001 census are under 16 years of age with another 3% on top of that being under the age of 18. Another 7% are over the age of 75 half of which are in Nursing homes and dont know what day it is let alone giving theire opinions about anything. That makes up about 29% of the Scottish population who are either too young or too old to give a coherant opinion on the smoking ban.

The Bill clearly states that smoking will be banned in all fully enclosed spaces that the public have access to or work in. This also includes clubs and associations of which certain members of the public are part of. (i.e. social club etc).

I do not foresee pubs being able to have an indoor smoking area & non smoking area into the same building because they would not be able to guarantee that they can completely separate the air between the two. There is no ventilation in existence that can 100% remove the smoke from the air and anything that comes close will probably cost a pub 20 years worth of earnings, which the landlords are definitely not going to pay. The cheapest option for the pubs is to support the Ban.

Also what about the poor sod that has to serve them drinks. They would be forced to inhale an enormous amount of smoke more so than they have to now since all the smokers would be crammed into one sealed space, therefore reducing their life expectancy exponentially. It would be at least half their potential lifespan if they didnt smoke and even more if they did smoke.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also what about the poor sod that has to serve them drinks. They would be forced to inhale an enormous amount of smoke more so than they have to now since all the smokers would be crammed into one sealed space' date=' therefore reducing their life expectancy exponentially. It would be at least half their potential lifespan if they didnt smoke and even more if they did smoke.[/quote']

You wouldn't have to install a bar into the smoking area...

Dont you mean' date=' 83% of the Smoking population in scotland which is about 27% of the actual scottish population. Therefore meaning in reality...

therefore reducing their life expectancy exponentially. It would be at least half their potential lifespan if they didnt smoke and even more if they did smoke.[/quote']

what?

you seem to have quite a tendency to see grey as either black or white.

Remember, there are lies, damn lies, and Statistics

there's better arguments than that.

I am aware of this thank you.

I think you'll find that the reduction in smoking related illness would temper the increase somewhat.

Yay for non-smoking, but the above statement is bollocks. Smokers MORE THAN pay for their own health care with the added taxes provided on the ciggies. In fact, we might have a few problems if everyone stops. So I propose this: smokers smoke MORE, but at home. OK?

Guest tv tanned
Yay for non-smoking' date=' but the above statement is bollocks. Smokers MORE THAN pay for their own health care with the added taxes provided on the ciggies. In fact, we might have a few problems if everyone stops. So I propose this: smokers smoke MORE, but at home. OK?[/quote']

I'd pay the extra taxes frankly, rather than be subsidised by folk killing themselves and others

I'd pay the extra taxes frankly' date=' rather than be subsidised by folk killing themselves and others[/quote']

Considering a packet of cigarretes has approx 4 of tax PER PACKET???

That's a hell of a lot.

Guest tv tanned

Yes, but you can also transfer a part of the taxation onto other items.

I am of the opinion that food which exceeds a certain amount of fat per 100g should be taxed.

That also means without tax a packet of 20 would cost less than a quid. You sure about that? I cannot see how companies could make money if they are only taking in a quid tops after tax when you add up all associated costs of packaging, shipping, manufacture, raw materials etc.

But then, I really don't give a shit if Philip Morris go bust.

Yes' date=' but you can also transfer a part of the taxation onto other items.

I am of the opinion that food which exceeds a certain amount of fat per 100g should be taxed.

That also means without tax a packet of 20 would cost less than a quid. You sure about that? I cannot see how companies could make money if they are only taking in a quid tops after tax when you add up all associated costs of packaging, shipping, manufacture, raw materials etc.

But then, I really don't give a shit if Philip Morris go bust.[/quote']

Considering I buy my cigarrettes 100% tax free... yeah, I am pretty sure about that... 6.50 for 200... that's 65p a packet. And thats Berkley Menthols, not a mumbo jumbo brand. Malboro is around 7.00 for 200.

As for the fat tax theory.... so that would make something basic like butter uber expensive then? I'd be against that, considering I use it in actual cooking of healthy meals.

Tax convenience food more if anything.

Guest tv tanned
Considering I buy my cigarrettes 100% tax free... yeah' date=' I am pretty sure about that... 6.50 for 200... that's 65p a packet. And thats Berkley Menthols, not a mumbo jumbo brand. Malboro is around 7.00 for 200.

As for the fat tax theory.... so that would make something basic like butter uber expensive then? I'd be against that, considering I use it in actual cooking of healthy meals.

Tax convenience food more if anything.[/quote']

Fair doos, being a non-smoker I am not really informed of costs.

Although I do hope you won't go to the NHS if you develop some smoking-related disease, being as you don't seem to pay any tax on your fags ;)

As for the fatty foods argument, there are plenty low fat spreads, and many low fat oils which can be just as useful as butter.

Fair doos' date=' being a non-smoker I am not really informed of costs.

Although I do hope you won't go to the NHS if you develop some smoking-related disease, being as you don't seem to pay any tax on your fags ;)

As for the fatty foods argument, there are plenty low fat spreads, and many low fat oils which can be just as useful as butter.[/quote']

Considering I hardly smoke (it's easier for me not to... Scott HATES smoking in all forms with a fierce passion) - last time was 2 months ago - and I hardly ever go out, it's unlikely it will happen to me - not ruling it out ;)

True, low fat oils and spreads can be used, but a alot of them are not as good when making things like pastry etc in which the fat content heavily effects the texture and how flakey the end result it.

Like I said, tax the convenience food... not the food you'd use in perfectly good home cooking.

:)

what?

you seem to have quite a tendency to see grey as either black or white.

Remember' date=' there are lies, damn lies, and Statistics

there's better arguments than that.

Okay how about this my eldest uncle, Smoked heavily, drank heavily died of a heart attack at age 55. He was the lucky one it was quick, unlike my other uncle.

My Second eldest uncle who was 5 years younger again smoked heavily, drank heavily and his arteries to his legs became blocked and packed in because of this. He had an operation to replace them and ended up losing a toe because it went gangreen. The following year he went in to get gaul stones removed. After the operation his lungs collapsed and before they realised what was going on the new arteries that they made for him the year before collapsed under the strain and his bowel went gangreen. The doctors advised him there was nothing they could do for him. He ended up dying a slow and painful death 3 days later aged 55.. What made it worse for me was the fact that he died on my 18th Birthday, which I will never forget.

Both of my uncles died due to smoking and drinking and I know too many other people that have died before their time due to smoking and drinking.

People should drink moderately and not too excess.

Smoking should be banned completely if only to stop children from taking it up when they're old enough and ending up dying in a similar manner.

If tobacco had just been discovered today instead of years ago it would be illegal due to the danger it poses to peoples health. Since when is inhaling smoke good for you or anyone else. all it does is slowly kill you bit by bit until you die a painful death like my second eldest uncle, who after his bowel went gangreen and told he was going to die was put on a morphine drip for 3 days in an attempt to try and suppress some of the pain of him dying.

Just imagine how that feels, knowing your going to die but unable to end it quickly. Yes everyone says they could get knocked down by a bus tomorrow, but what if you dont. Do you really want to endure several painful days of dying instead? I certainly dont.

i lierke to smoke

and if you dont then fukr oyu!

x

Well if it's too grusome for you, it's not my problem just telling how it is.

That fact my uncle died at such a young age especially on my 18th birthday put me off of smoking completely. He didnt even manage to reach retirement age, that sucks.

I'm not telling you to stop smoking, just asking you to think about how you want to die when your older. They do say if you are not a heavy smoker and stop smoking before you hit 35 then you have a good chance of reaching retirement age and hopefully live a normal life. Though i've heard of people dying from lung cancer when they are only 30.

I want to live till i'm old and grey and hopefully be still around for my grand children.

Well if it's too grusome for you' date=' it's not my problem just telling how it is.

That fact my uncle died at such a young age especially on my 18th birthday put me off of smoking completely. He didnt even manage to reach retirement age, that sucks.

I'm not telling you to stop smoking, just asking you to think about how you want to die when your older. They do say if you are not a heavy smoker and stop smoking before you hit 35 then you have a good chance of reaching retirement age and hopefully live a normal life. Though i've heard of people dying from lung cancer when they are only 30.

I want to live till i'm old and grey and hopefully be still around for my grand children.[/quote']

im sorry to hear that

The endless mind games that continue in the wake of all this.....

people who smoke...Smoke

people who don't .....Don't

No-one chooses anything for you, and there's only one person that can change your way -yes, you.

So let bygone's be bygone's....People live, People die, People are curious, People try.