aberdeen-music

Edinburgh - 2nd July

garbage_star

I'll be at the march on Saturday, which should pass off quietly.

The one I'm worried about is the anti-capitalist protest which is on Monday. This is the one that has kicked off at previous G8 summits, and joy of joys, it starts literally outside my front door. The one on Wednesday's going to be a nightmare as well, even if only half of the million people expected turn up. Edinburgh's a tiny city, and will struggle badly to cope with this.

The one on Wednesday's going to be a nightmare as well' date=' even if only half of the million people expected turn up. Edinburgh's a tiny city, and will struggle badly to cope with this.[/quote']

The protest Wednesday shall take place, not in Edinbugh, but at the summit itself. For more info, visit http://www.g8blockades.org.uk

nah I'll gae it a miss

sitting around in traffic jams,then being herded around like sheep and exposing myself to the highly likely senario of being involved in a riot which will no doubt lead to policemen and businesses being attacked seems like a pretty fucked up way to make the world a better place- I've seen it all before first hand and it can get pretty ugly.

Why not just do something to help someone closer to home? or donate the costs of going to a worthwhile cause? - a far more environmentally friendly solution + no one gets hurt.

sitting around in traffic jams' date='then being herded around like sheep and exposing myself to the highly likely senario of being involved in a riot which will no doubt lead to policemen and businesses being attacked seems like a pretty fucked up way to make the world a better place- I've seen it all before first hand and it can get pretty ugly.

Why not just do something to help someone closer to home? or donate the costs of going to a worthwhile cause? - a far more environmentally friendly solution + no one gets hurt.[/quote']

Many folks protesting the G8 will not be herded like sheep. The Clown Army for instance.

Regarding the use of violence - I shall say again that most do not use such tactics, but protest using only peaceful means. This may involve the use of direct action of course, but those involved are mindful of their effect.

And can I also say that many of those taking part are already active locally, taking action in their workplaces and communities. Suggest you also check out Cre8 Summit at http://www.dissent.org.uk/content/blogsection/20/

This protest will cause, if anything at all, more harm than good.

All the footage on the news of the protesters showed generic swampy types with dreadlocks and hemp jumpers, waving shitty banners around. They shouldn't send riot police and the like, but rather the protesters mum's, who could then tell them all to grow up, take them home, and send them to bed with 'thick ears'!

This protest will cause' date=' if anything at all, more harm than good.

All the footage on the news of the protesters showed generic swampy types with dreadlocks and hemp jumpers, waving shitty banners around. They shouldn't send riot police and the like, but rather the protesters mum's, who could then tell them all to grow up, take them home, and send them to bed with 'thick ears'![/quote']

I was at the protest yesterday, and while some folks will have worn crusty attire, most did not. The majority of those taking part were ordinary working people of all ages, and from all backgrounds, who, driven by concern, took action.

The capitalist media, seeking to belittle the seriousness of the protest, and so ridicule its intentions, will often show only footage of dreadlocked activists and others of this kind.

I'll be at the march on Saturday' date=' which should pass off quietly.

The one I'm worried about is the anti-capitalist protest which is on Monday. This is the one that has kicked off at previous G8 summits, and joy of joys, it starts literally outside my front door. The one on Wednesday's going to be a nightmare as well, even if only half of the million people expected turn up. Edinburgh's a tiny city, and will struggle badly to cope with this.[/quote']

Well, I take it all back. Left work early today, 'cos I'd heard all sorts of stories about full-blown riots in Edinburgh, and wasn;t sure how long it would take me to get home. Got back in the usual amount of time, so went to have a look at what was going on. Have to say that - once again - the police were absolutely superb in the face of constant antagonism. Got caught up in amongst the protesters a couple of times, and every time it was dealt with brilliantly.

I'd have tear-gassed the lot of them. Very easy to come across to a city you'll probably never go to again and kick the shit out of it. A lot more difficult to restrain yourself in the face of constant harrassment.

If I'd seen anyone desecrating anything of value in Edinburgh today, they'd have been on the sharp end of a kicking.

Very easy to be an "anarchist" until you realise that the liberals are screwing daddy of his tax dollars.

I was at the protest yesterday' date=' and while some folks will have worn crusty attire, most did not. The majority of those taking part were ordinary working people of all ages, and from all backgrounds, who, driven by concern, took action.

The capitalist media, seeking to belittle the seriousness of the protest, and so ridicule its intentions, will often show only footage of dreadlocked activists and others of this kind.[/quote']

Don't you have anything better to do than spam the forums like this?

Go outside and rage against the machine, or something.

I went to Edinburgh on Saturday and it definitely wasn't a load of "generic swampy types". It was amazing to get over 200,000 people there and it was good that it went by without any trouble. The trouble yesterday was unfortunately expected, but it seemed to be dealt with quite effectively so scenes that we have seen at other anti capatilist protest were not seen this time.

Don't you have anything better to do than spam the forums like this?

Go outside and rage against the machine' date=' or something.[/quote']

Spam? So you believe that though a member of this board I should not be permitted to join a discussion such as this? I joined the board just a few weeks ago. The reason? So as to make folks aware of two benefit shows - one an anti-G8 benefit, the other one arranged to raise funds for a health clinic in a Zapatista community. If I discover another discussion that I may want to join, then that is my choice. So, I shall ask you not to dictate what I can or cannot do.

Regarding your final comment, I was in Edinburgh protesting the G8 Saturday through Monday, and will be attending the protest at Gleneagles tomorrow.

love to hate to say I told you so...

sitting around in traffic jams' date='then being herded around like sheep and exposing myself to the highly likely senario of being involved in a riot which will no doubt lead to policemen and businesses being attacked seems like a pretty fucked up way to make the world a better place- I've seen it all before first hand and it can get pretty ugly.

Why not just do something to help someone closer to home? or donate the costs of going to a worthwhile cause? - a far more environmentally friendly solution + no one gets hurt.[/quote']

What I saw on the news brought back memories of the English Poll Tax riots,and Glastonbury crusty riots,sad as hell and not a way to change the world, NON VIOLENT PROTEST is where it's all at,attacking police and using them as a scapegoat is a fucking disgrace,they are paid to protect us and the thanks they get is being spat at by some narrow minded twat who wouldn't know a reasoned debate if it jumped up and bit them on the arse.

Piece n Jam, Biz.