aberdeen-music

Pubs of the harbour area

Bobby

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend Fraserburgh. Every pub there is rough.

The pubs in Fraserburgh are great, if you like underage annoying little neds.

I wouldnt say they are rough though, not once have i got into a fight in one.

Cheers was a great pub, everyone knew your name. Almost. Pity its closed now.

Flash' date=' you're losing your touch. You forgot the Quarterdeck bar on Blakies Quay.[/quote']

Well last time I checked it was a seafood restaurant. Does the Anchorage count? I guess so. Here's my review:

Anchorage - modern (as in 70s) style prefab looking bar done out in contemporay cyan decor. Pool tables offer ample opportunities for chaos and pandemonium. Bash Street Kids play there every Sunday afternoon. Last visited here in 1990. Nice fag machine.

Well last time I checked it was a seafood restaurant. Does the Anchorage count? I guess so. Here's my review:

Anchorage - modern (as in 70s) style prefab looking bar done out in contemporay cyan decor. Pool tables offer ample opportunities for chaos and pandemonium. Bash Street Kids play there every Sunday afternoon. Last visited here in 1990. Nice fag machine.

Is that the one on the right-hand side of Market Street, as you look towards the Torry bridge?

Beside Kwik-Fit?

The pubs in Fraserburgh are great' date=' if you like underage annoying little neds.

I wouldnt say they are rough though, not once have i got into a fight in one.

Cheers was a great pub, everyone knew your name. Almost. Pity its closed now.[/quote']

I practically grew up in Cheers, it was great when Martin Buchan owned it but it went downhill when he sold up, the Liz Pirie years are infamous. Apparently on the last night it was open they couldn't afford to buy any drink from the cash and carry or pay the deliviries, so it opened selling nothing but Buckfast, bought on the cheap. I dont know if that's true but its funny if it is.

Fraserburgh pubs -

Oak Tree - shit, full of old folks dancing on the seats, bad karaoke

Balaclava - generally OK but full of minks.

Brewers - Shit, old mans pub

Cheers - closed!

Crown - Probably the most old mannieist pub in the world, but I still like it, upstairs can be good for the young uns. The guinness is minging.

George & Dragon - Nice enough bar, but full of schoolkids, still better than the Mariners though

Royal Bar - the bar with the least atmosphere in the world (I know i used to work there)

Moorings nightclub - the nightclub with the least atmosphere in the world (i know I used to work there). Good place to go if you want to get stabbed.

DJs - Hideously overpriced, disgustingly overcrowded, full of arseholes, shit music, bouncers and door staff are cunts, full of schoolkids, good place to go if you want to get bottled.

Elizabethan - full of arseholes, but not too bad a pub.

Kenyan - no actually this is the old manniest bar in the world

Bellslea Sports Bar - ned central

Station / Boozer - Boozer is OK but really quiet, dont know why it never took off

Finlays - a good pub. The only pub in Broch I drink in if I can help it.

The Ship - This place is hell. So busy, full of idiots off their nuts on fuck knows what, too hot, too crowded, very intimidating, not enough seats, full of young sluts.

The toolies club - It's a big empty hall that nobody ever goes too, with a jukebox in the corner.

Anyone ever dared to go in Bar 524 on George Street?

Yeah once. Use to play darts for the Rosemount Bar. We had to go in for a match. Lets just say as soon as we walked in we knoew we werent going to dare try and win. The guy we were playing against threw nails not darts.

I think this is my favourite thread ever. And thanks Flash for the A to Z, I'm keeping that as a reference guide.

I remember a mate of mine in his forties getting eaten alive by a total slapper in I think Secrets on Market Street and taking her back to his, and her leaving her phone number. The next day he rang to tell her she'd lefther earrings behind and they were giving him a headache and got her sister who told her she was at school, she went to Albyns! Sounds like a Trainspotting story but it's true. There's a whole film to be made out of such a girl methinks.

Next time I'm in town I wouldn't mind a pub crawl of some of these places, anyone fancy it? We can finish at The Moorings.

Beyond Fraserburgh, Buckie, Banff and Macduff are iffy places to have a drink in, believe me. Buckie of course was home to the Anchor Bar, which was being run as a brothel and has now closed with maximum publicity.

Seaton Arms and Martin's Bar in Aberdeen were always the ones students were warned to avoid, but the Belmont in my experience was far worse. A mate onf mine walked in there with me on a pub crawl when we were teenagers, everyone looked round at us and and he vomited. I've never retreated from anywhere so fast in my life.

I like the Balmoral on Union Street, nice honest boozer, and The Grill is practically a tourist attraction nowadays and often full of gorgeous student girls trying to live dangerously and cadging drinks off lusty old guys.

The Atheneum on Union St used to be a freakshow but its now gone all yuppie. The East neukl on King Street with the sloping pool table used to be hjysterical but apparently is now a lesbian bar...is this true? If so I must pay it another visit.

ISeaton Arms and Martin's Bar in Aberdeen were always the ones students were warned to avoid' date=' but the Belmont in my experience was far worse. [/quote']

Agreed. I went in one St Patricks night because Drummonds had ran out of Guinness. I don't think we even got as far as asking for drinks, we just bailed. I might be a pussy, but that place has an air of intimidation about it as soon as you walk in the door.

What about the other one on Market Street, opposite the City Hotel and just before you get to the end of the road at the harbour end?

The Broadcsword for my money is one of the dodgiest.

The Kittybrewster Bar had a bad reputation for a long time too.

But sod me what HAS happened in the last five years to the Prince of Wales? It used to be a great pub for all, now its a hang out for hoodlums and dealers.

But sod me what HAS happened in the last five years to the Prince of Wales? It used to be a great pub for all' date=' now its a hang out for hoodlums and dealers.[/quote']

Well the POWales is now owned by an Edinburgh based group rather than being a stand alone pub indy pub. It's not changed that much given the change of owners. Dealers? - are you sure you've not just seen French Disko in there....

I've generally found the POW to be a pretty decent themeless traditional bar. But I suppose the proximity to Market Street may attract the wrong sort on occasion.

The Prince of Wales used to remind me of a pub near Fleet Street, you expected it to be full of judges and journalists and instead it was a happy mixture of all kinds of people. Now it just feels like an unhapy mixture of certain kinds of people. It seems to have inherited some of the clientelle from Market Street indeed. I think the reason could be the poshing up of the Belmont area which has made the Prince of Wales suddenly begin to be a resort for chavs.