aberdeen-music

Pubs of the harbour area

Bobby

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the harbour pubs, for dabbling with danger. To be honest I don't think anny of them are anything like as dodgy as a tiny bar in Northfield, Woodside or Torry.

Ok, the Moorings is in a diferent league altogether, that's a given, it's quite simply the finest drinking establishment in Britain. If there's a better one keep it quiet.

But for the others...Peep Peeps is actually very hard to be unnoticed in. There is actually a great short storey called Blow The Mannie Down set in there and it would make you never venture anywhere near the docks again. The Glentanner back in the day wasa goldmine but now is a bit gloomier. Beyond that...The Neptune years ago was a good gig joint but now I wouldn't fancy it, considering that if you run into trouble there isn't much of an escaper route, its in a wilderness of deserted streets.

Let me know how you get on if you come back safely. or, seriously, try them in the daytime to start with if you want to live not too dangerously.

The Broadsword, and any in Woodside Torry and Northfield are your real russian rouletters though.

Nothing wrong with the 524 lounge. It's just full of old men through the day and a darts team in the evening. Beer is shite though and not much room for sitting.

As for the harbour, obviously go to the moorings but try them all down to the Neptune Bar. The worst one (In my view and that includes Peep Peeps which is notoriously famous for football casuals and a fat cunt barman)is probably the Fittie Bar because it is just full of pre-metro night outers.

Now the Belmont bar.... that's rough.

From the way folk are going on about pubs like 524, you'd think that as soon as you walk in, someone comes up to you and says "Fit ye lookin' at? Startin' like ye bauuuuuum?" and then goes SMACK!!! right in your puss.

Is that an accurate picture to be getting? I'm never quite sure why folk are so scared of supposedly rough pubs if this isn't the case.

From the way folk are going on about pubs like 524' date=' you'd think that as soon as you walk in, someone comes up to you and says "Fit ye lookin' at? Startin' like ye bauuuuuum?" and then goes SMACK!!! right in your puss.

Is that an accurate picture to be getting? I'm never quite sure why folk are so scared of supposedly rough pubs if this isn't the case.[/quote']

As a patron of many 'rough' pubs, I've never once walked in and been battered for no reason.

People tend to only get it for pissing other people off.

As a patron of many 'rough' pubs' date=' I've never once walked in and been battered for no reason.

People tend to only get it for pissing other people off.[/quote']

See, that's what I've always thought.

So would "rough" pubs actually be a haven of non-pricks? If there's one thing that annoys me about a pub, it's when there's some overly loud bunch of idiots thinking everyone wants to hear their rubbish conversation. I think it would be excellent if people would get punished for being dwads, dossers and dalendless shidheads more often.

I recommend Fraserburgh. Every pub there is rough.

AS for Aberdeen harbour, Crown & Anchor is great for a spot of drunken karaoke on a friday night. The Criterion is a bit of a slum. And the Schooner is legendary, I tell you you meet some interesting people in there at 7 in the morning.

By interesting I mean crazy.

That's about as far as I've ventured, despite having lived in 3 different flats at the harbour, I used to like the Crows Nest but I drove past this morning and it's shut down.

Roughest pub I've visited must be the one next door to RS McColls on the Castlegate, now that's a fucking shithole.

Roughest pub I've visited must be the one next door to RS McColls on the Castlegate' date=' now that's a fucking shithole.[/quote']

That'll be the Castle Bar which is OK really. I think 'Portals' across the square from it is much worse.

As for the Schooner bar, if you do feel that you need a drink that early in the morning, just make sure you aren't carrying any drugs on you as it regularly gets raided by the police. (Even though they are only looking for bail jumpers you will get paranoid as hell.)

THe neptune is ace! The barwoman has 2 beer drinking dogs, who have their own seats in the pub! Crown and anchor is ace as well. For true roughness venture into the blokes toilet at peep peeps. Last time i was in there was a massive hole on the roof of the cubilcle, with a spiders nest in it. Proper put me off my dump I tell thee!

Guest tv tanned
ive been to the 524' date=' use to know the owners so use to go in when i was younger. God knows if they still own it though. A few people in my family also know the owners of a few woodside pubs, white horse n royals..........id advise everyone to avoid these places!![/quote']

Bollocks

I've been in The White Horse heaps of times and as long as you keep yourself to yourself then it's nae bother at all.

Guest tv tanned
THe neptune is ace! The barwoman has 2 beer drinking dogs' date=' who have their own seats in the pub! Crown and anchor is ace as well. For true roughness venture into the blokes toilet at peep peeps. Last time i was in there was a massive hole on the roof of the cubilcle, with a spiders nest in it. Proper put me off my dump I tell thee![/quote']

Aye, reckon it would speed mine up given my arachnophobia!!!

I'll take you on a tour if you like - I've been drinking down there for over 15 years.

None of the pubs are particularily onerous. The worst pub I was ever in was The Dancing Cairns in Northfield.

As for the harbour... from memory:

Aitchies - great bar, very clean, good beer.

Lorne - good fun.

Criterion - opens early, shuts early, full of train workers.

Tap Room - home of 'Spinal Steve' therefore best avoided.

Wyness' - doesn't count.

Wagleys - decent friendly bar.

Schooner - novelty value only. Go there the morning after being burgled to buy your stolen goods back at a knock down price.

Drift Inn - dead these days, used to have a good Sat aft jam going back in the day.

Moorings - fuckin dump.

Crown & Anchor - good karaoke. Friendly. Tell Val I was asking for her.

Regent Bridge - wear something green and nothing blue and you'll be OK. Tell Frankie I was asking for him.

Yard Arm / Molly Maguires - became Fidel's gay bar then closed down.

Cafe Characters - very clean and friendly bar, nice people.

Cutters Warf - Used to be OK but a bit noisey now. Can be lively.

Peep Peeps - My favourite. Wish they would fix the jukebox. Tell Chris I was asking for him.

Crow's Nest - shut down but it was a decent bar with a good jukebox.

St Clements - full of hookers last time I was in. Avoid at all costs.

Fittie Bar - Nice clean bar with nice people that live in Fittie. Pretty up market.

Neptune Bar - decent bar with tootie the dog. Nice couple run in. Good pool table. Good jukebox. the worst bogs in Scotland.

I'll take you on a tour if you like - I've been drinking down there for over 15 years.

None of the pubs are particularily onerous. The worst pub I was ever in was The Dancing Cairns in Northfield.

As for the harbour... from memory:

Aitchies - great bar' date=' very clean, good beer.

Lorne - good fun.

Criterion - opens early, shuts early, full of train workers.

Tap Room - home of 'Spinal Steve' therefore best avoided.

Wyness' - doesn't count.

Wagleys - decent friendly bar.

Schooner - novelty value only. Go there the morning after being burgled to buy your stolen goods back at a knock down price.

Drift Inn - dead these days, used to have a good Sat aft jam going back in the day.

Moorings - fuckin dump.

Crown & Anchor - good karaoke. Friendly. Tell Val I was asking for her.

Regent Bridge - wear something green and nothing blue and you'll be OK. Tell Frankie I was asking for him.

Yard Arm / Molly Maguires - became Fidel's gay bar then closed down.

Cafe Characters - very clean and friendly bar, nice people.

Cutters Warf - Used to be OK but a bit noisey now. Can be lively.

Peep Peeps - My favourite. Wish they would fix the jukebox. Tell Chris I was asking for him.

Crow's Nest - shut down but it was a decent bar with a good jukebox.

St Clements - full of hookers last time I was in. Avoid at all costs.

Fittie Bar - Nice clean bar with nice people that live in Fittie. Pretty up market.

Neptune Bar - decent bar with tootie the dog. Nice couple run in. Good pool table. Good jukebox. the worst bogs in Scotland.[/quote']

And there you have it folks, may as well close the thread :laughing:

Ha ha - true! I finish work at 7am and have occasion gone down for a pint after work - always get offered rolling tobacco, sometimes hash, and a guy came in once in with a suitcase selling t-shirts and socks. :gringo: